Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If I wanted to do some jail time just for a real life experience -what kind of non-violent crime could I do?

If I wanted to do some jail time just for a real life experience -what kind of non-violent crime could I do?

Sell drugs in front of a cop shop...?

Posted - February 6, 2018

Responses

seriously, you don't need that experience.
      February 6, 2018 6:30 AM MST

In reality I probably don't but I feel curious what it would be like.
      February 6, 2018 6:49 AM MST

I seldom disagree with you Baba.  But I do here. 

In reality, it is something I think everyone should experience.  If not everyone, at least everyone involved in the criminal justice systems.  But I prefer everyone experience it, so they can realize the good and the bad it can do...and it is the ordinary citizens who continually elect politicians based on the "get tough on crime" stance.  

Factually
    , the vast majority of inmates will be released...into your city, your neighborhood maybe, they may even end up living next door to you.  It might serve us all well if people understood what we actually subject them to on some tiny level.  I am, of course, not talking about the rapists and child molesters and murderers - though most of those will also be released at some point - but the petty crap that people are routinely imprisoned for in this country today. 

Ex-cons will end up in your life, without your knowledge even...and it is not always a bad thing.  Most of the time you never even know.   
      February 6, 2018 3:04 PM MST

so you are speaking from experience
    of being in jail or prison?
    .....Been there done that...no fun.
    But I do agree there should be some knowledge 
    of what happens to people that are locked up.
    ... when locked up, at first, often times they put you in a common jail
    with all of the really bad guys. You sit down
    and a dude comes to you and says you are in his spot.
    you move and that is his spot as well.
    Or he just doesn't like your face and he
    rearranges it for you. You fight to stay alive,
    and then all of a sudden, you have been slapped with 
    a longer time locked up for fighting.
         Then you get transferred to the big house
    and everything amplifies for the new fish.
    They knock your teeth out
    so you can be their sex slave.
    So then you join gangs for protection.
    I would not wish that on anyone.

...people change when they have to go through scenes like that.
    Fight or die scenarios...no fun if one is a peaceful person...
    but I do understand your point of view that people should
    know about what happens when one is locked up.
    Cheers Bozette. This post was edited by Baba at February 7, 2018 2:36 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 12:43 PM MST

I have been in jail, yes.  I have also had people very close to me that served prison time, and I was an advocate through CURE (Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants).  I have had two people paroled to my home, as well, and hired a few ex-cons as employees. 

The "bad guys" are not limited to the inmates, but include those wearing badges...and that is from what I have personally witnessed in my brief time in jail. 

They do change.  They can change back, but if they have served prison time...it takes about two years from what I have seen, and that is if they have familial support and work.  And it is very, very hard to be the familial support during those two years.  

Given the the US incarcerates more than any other country, including an estimated 25-40+% of our youth by the time they are 23, and that the vast majority will be released at some point...I think it is an important issue. 
      February 7, 2018 2:33 PM MST

Kudos to you. I know a guy like that myself here in DK though he only do rehab of Drug addicts, I expect they are a bit easier (not a lot though). Personally I can claim no activity in this area; but I much appreciate people like you who have enough will and surplus to take it on.
      February 8, 2018 6:25 AM MST

Thank you, Jakob. 
      February 8, 2018 12:04 PM MST

Admirable Bozette
    I respect what you do
    and thank you as well.
    A great Service, Incredibly hard,
    It takes a special someone
    to work all of that out
    Great Work Bozette
    Cheers
      February 8, 2018 6:01 PM MST

Thanks, Baba. 
      February 9, 2018 10:13 AM MST

You touched my tilde, didn't you?

:[
      February 6, 2018 6:47 AM MST

Who.. me! Did you find my fingerprints on it?
      February 6, 2018 6:51 AM MST

Who called for a fingerprint tech? 
      February 7, 2018 3:10 PM MST

Obtain groceries on the five finger discount. 
      February 6, 2018 6:55 AM MST

Where I live one never get jail time for minor theft unless it's the 17th time or so.
      February 6, 2018 7:06 AM MST

So move. 

~
      February 6, 2018 7:10 AM MST

Drive drunk. You get three days here.
      February 6, 2018 7:32 AM MST

you could steal something from the grocery store
      February 6, 2018 10:43 AM MST

Yes I should because they are always shortchanging me.
      February 6, 2018 12:39 PM MST

You could stand on a street corner naked. 
    You could pretend to threaten one of your friends with a toy gun.  That will bring out the force and I'm sure you will be arrested.
    You could pretend rob your friends house and have them call the cops on you.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.  You have to have an accomplice to be landed in jail for a duration.  I'm not really familiar with trying to get in jail.  I spend a lot of my time trying to stay out of it. Big winks and smiles.  Good Luck!
      February 6, 2018 2:34 PM MST

Using a toy gun does not, at least in some jurisdictions, prevent you from being charged with "armed robbery"...regardless of whether a robbery actually took place and/or it was actually a real gun.  Just sayin'. 
      February 6, 2018 2:42 PM MST

I'm sure you must be right.  I've never done it so I wouldn't know.  It IS good to know, however, that you don't mess around with the police.  Their job is to keep you safe and if you are taking up their time doing something like faking a robbery, there might be someone in real trouble that needed their attention.

February 6, 2018 2:45 PM MST

I remember the little kid playing down by the river
    with a toy gun in the news.
    The cops saw him...no questions asked...just shot and killed him.
      February 7, 2018 12:47 PM MST

It has happened more than once. 
      February 7, 2018 2:37 PM MST

But if there is a visible "gun" she is likely to get shot when a cop arrive.
      February 9, 2018 4:43 PM MST