Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » This question is for our Answermuggers who do not live in America and are not ex-pats living elsewhere. What word describes the USA today?

This question is for our Answermuggers who do not live in America and are not ex-pats living elsewhere. What word describes the USA today?

Posted - February 7, 2018

Responses

"Manic," perhaps, with all due respect to its peoples. "Misled," "delusional" or "imperialistic" might also count, but that has been the case since far beyond recent history.
      February 7, 2018 3:28 AM MST

For the love of guns alone manic fits certainly. That pertains only to the gun-people portion of Americans though.. Misled and delusional only applies to the doofus don adorers I think but I could be wrong about that. Most of us can't stand him. As for Imperialistic I think historically there has been an ebb and flow to that. But I can't really take exception to any of your choices Dani G. Thank you for your thoughtful and spot-on reply and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      February 7, 2018 3:36 AM MST

As opposed to the NRA and what it represents as I am myself, I do think the issue broader than that. What I principally meant by "manic" is that there's presently such an overinflated insistence on being at one far end of the political spectrum. (What little middle ground there was seems to have dissolved with Trump's election.) The consequence is a constant struggle that, in my opinion, neglects how important it is to listen to the other side rather than to try being louder than it.

To add a little more context to my choice of "imperialistic," there certainly has been an ebb and flow to it, as you say, yet to me it has been one vacillating between openly/concretely and covertly/culturally conquering. Worth pointing out is that little changes in this whether Democrats or Republicans run the show.

Thank you, Rosie (particularly for taking no offense, which I would in no way intend), and Happy Wednesday to thee too! This post was edited by Danilo_G at February 7, 2018 4:30 AM MST
      February 7, 2018 4:21 AM MST

When I ask a question I am prepared for some hard replies Dani. Here's the thing. You want me to listen to the extreme right-wing nationalist racists which is what doofus represents. They are all devoted to him. He has brought racism front and center and makes it acceptable. You want me to listen to that bullsh** crap? For what purpose? There is no middle ground where racism and bigotry is concerned. You either are OR you aren't. No middle there anywhere. The doofus and his worshippers don't care that Russia is continuing to meddle in our politics. They don't care that treason has undoubtedly occurred and that traitors are currently in our government. They deny there is any Russian involvement. They deny collusion/collaboration/obstruction of justice. They don't care.  Why would you want/expect a Progressive Liberal like me to be interested in listening to that crap? I can't. I won't. They are destroying our country every day in every way. I despise doofus don and what he has done already. How much more is there ? I don't know but it won't be good. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I disagree with thee but so what? Right? This post was edited by RosieG at February 7, 2018 2:28 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 4:35 AM MST

The way I see it, their misguidance (and I surely agree it is that) can be remedied in two ways: either you converse with them--that is, have them see reason, since bigotry is utterly unreasonable--or you eliminate them, physically. Presuming that all of us here agree that the former would be preferable (or we might become as they are), we have to grant that there is not a chance that they would listen if they are not shown the same courtesy.

But it now seems that most, especially in popular media, don't believe such discussion is possible; hence it proceeds to a shouting contest, and from there it's a little step to mania.

Edit: By the way, I'm sure many who voted for Trump are not racist, or in any other way so vilely prejudiced. The same principle goes for them: we have to hear them out before we can actually talk sense. This post was edited by Danilo_G at February 7, 2018 2:36 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 2:33 PM MST

Laughingstock. You elected Trump. We're laughing our collective a$$ off at you.
      February 7, 2018 4:14 AM MST

Don't count me in your blanket "you" kiddo. "THEY" elected him. The white nationalist racist bigots he brought into the fray did that terrible thing. I know that as an American I am forever tainted by that unspeakable evil. Nothing I did to deserve it. SIGH. Doofus is so delusional he doesn't realize how bigly and massively laughingstockish he is. However it is enveloped in evil. Laughingstocks usually aren't evil. This one is egregiously so. Thank you for your reply. Woe is us. :( Woe is you too. The doofus spreads his evil everywhere he goes. Has he visited Australia yet? Anything branded with the Trump name in Adelaide or Sydney or Melbourne?  Just wait! :)
      February 7, 2018 4:42 AM MST

I don't think she elected him.  I did - because he was and is willing to protect the freedom and value of us as individuals rather than seeking to abridge those freedoms (along with the responsibility they carry with them) to realize some kind of grand, wild-eyed, completely impractical totalitarian scheme. 
      February 7, 2018 6:12 AM MST

Gimme a break - Trump's totalitarian to the core.  A massive Führer complex - why else would he still be holding rallies, as Hitler did after being elected Chancellor in 1933?
      February 7, 2018 4:10 PM MST