Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you start conversations with grocery store clerks? Does it brighten the day of the clerk or annoy the people waiting behind you?

Do you start conversations with grocery store clerks? Does it brighten the day of the clerk or annoy the people waiting behind you?

Posted - February 9, 2018

Responses

I do and am happy I do, too! ;)  The reason being is I think it is rude if you don't.  I've seen more people so busy on their phones, they have no clue what the clerk even looks like. 
    Would you like a bag?  Plastic or paper?  Is that all this person is going to get out of you?
    Pay them a little respect.  Look at them and appreciate the fact they are right in front of you, facing you.  I don't get into elongated conversations with them. Common courteousness is appropriate in this situation:
    Ex:  How are ya?  Good!  And yourself?.. The weather is nice today.  I know, I can't wait to get out in it.... thank you!  You too and have a nice day!  Thanks!
    No.  The people behind me don't seem to get aggravated at all.
    Be nice!  Greet them and treat them like people... not robots. This post was edited by Merlin at February 11, 2018 11:32 AM MST
      February 9, 2018 12:36 PM MST

That seems smart to keep it short.
    I notice some people continue talking long after their groceries are paid for and bagged.
    I get a little impatient waiting while the people behind me are crowding me and getting impatient. LoL!
    Thank you for your response.

February 9, 2018 12:56 PM MST

I see your point as well Chloe.  That does tend to be a little aggravating, especially if you have ice cream that is starting to melt in your cart...Grrrrr! Unless it is the person's groceries they are continuing to talk about, it is simply unprofessional.  If they would like to talk about the movie or the guy they went out with last night, they need to do that on their own time.  I also get a little perturbed in those situations.... and I can guarantee I DO have Java Chip ice cream in my cart, melting!!  Talk to ya soon on another! Love, Merlin
      February 9, 2018 1:05 PM MST

Yes I do. We are social creatures, and I haven’t met many who disdain a cheerful word. To me, happiness is better when you can spread it around. But since I hate shopping, I‘ll keep the line moving because I know alot of other people do too.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 11, 2018 11:32 AM MST
      February 9, 2018 2:17 PM MST

I do ,as talk is the only thing going cheap in large HyperMarkets nowadays it seems....   :)D  
      February 9, 2018 2:24 PM MST

Starting conversations is an art.  You first check out what the worker is doing before you start any talking.  You keep the conversation light and quick and make sure the last sentence is uttered when the receipt is printed.

Get lost and let the next person get waited on.  Treat others the way you want to be treated and shut it and wrap it up already. 
      February 9, 2018 4:12 PM MST

i dont do that unless they do
      February 9, 2018 4:25 PM MST

All the time. It's fun and harmless, but I do it as my stuff is being rung up so I don't hold others up.
      February 11, 2018 10:33 AM MST

No I do not.  I try to be as pleasant as possible while keeping the line moving. 
      February 11, 2018 12:21 PM MST