Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why would a Muslim spend a huge amount of time trying to discredit the Bible but avoid discussing the Quran?

Why would a Muslim spend a huge amount of time trying to discredit the Bible but avoid discussing the Quran?

In line with Peter's line of reasoning at John 6:68 about where they should go if they leave Jesus, shouldn't someone that wants to discredit your beliefs want to direct to theirs?

Posted - February 9, 2018

Responses

Why would you assume one Muslim thinks the same as the next --as if  all Muslims are the same individual.

How the Hades do I know or you or anybody else what some fake example thinks or will do?

Oh that's right, you are a Christian, you guys have to believe that you all think the exact same thing.  Evangelist?  Ah, yes.  You all have to say the exact same thing or Jesus won't let you in. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 10, 2018 8:12 AM MST
      February 9, 2018 7:13 PM MST

Did I say all Muslims think the same or am I possibly asking about one individual? Perhaps I am just venting at the constant berating of the Bible and my beliefs by someone, is that okay for me to vent or is it only okay for an individual to make taunts against the Bible and my beliefs?

If I am constantly attacking Satya Sai Baba or the beliefs of his devotees yet do not want to discuss my beliefs and say that my beliefs are irrelevant to my taunts about your beliefs, how would you feel?
      February 9, 2018 7:51 PM MST

You never have ever attacked Sai Baba.   I just read an amazing piece I wrote to you complementing you on the individual that you are.

Despite a barrage of attacks, you never seem to lose your center.  Please know that it means the world to me.  That is a better example of what I believe than I ever have given with all my explanations of what I believe Sai Baba means.

So, I will say it again.  I think you are quite a gentleman and when I really saw the person behind the religion, I was shocked in a good way.  You impress me.  That doesn't mean I won't answer you like I am debating my heart out, but I admire you. 
      February 9, 2018 7:54 PM MST

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.
      February 10, 2018 12:48 AM MST

• Unless you told me which Muslims tried to discredit the Bible (in which case, I would look them up and find out their reasoning), I could only answer that the question makes no sense.

Mohammed via the Quran said that unless Christians or Jews make war on Muslims (some of whom did during his lifetime,) they are to be treated with respect and acceptance because they are believers in the same God of the same Book, and because Moses and Jesus are both prophets. 

"Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians--whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" (Quran 2:62, 5:69, and many other verses).

". . . and nearest among them in love to the believers will you find those who say, 'We are Christians,' because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant" (Quran 5:82).

"O you who believe! Be helpers of God--as Jesus the son of Mary said to the Disciples, 'Who will be my helpers in (the work of) God?' Said the disciples, 'We are God's helpers!' Then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved. But We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed" (Quran 61:14).

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 10, 2018 6:01 PM MST
      February 10, 2018 1:10 AM MST

Thank you Hartfire. It is my understanding that Mohammad considered the Bible as inspired but after many conversations of the taunter, I am not sure. Maybe Muslims just believe some of the Bible was inspired and that much of what was inspired has been changed? At least the on I have spoken to the most rejects all of Paul's writings and anything that contradicts the Quran.

https://www.compellingtruth.org/Quran-reject-Bible.html
    https://www.compellingtruth.org/Quran-reject-Bible.html

Should a Muslim read the Bible? Does the Qur'an reject the Bible?The Qur'an does not reject reading the Bible. Instead, it gives many positive references concerning the Bible and the importance for Muslims to read it:

"Lo! We did reveal the Torah, wherein is guidance and a light" (Sura 5:44).

"And We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow in their footsteps, confirming that which was (revealed) before him in the Torah, and We bestowed on him the Gospel wherein is guidance and a light, confirming that which was (revealed) before it in the Torah - a guidance and an admonition unto those who ward off (evil)" (Sura 5:46).

"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong)" (Sura 3:3).

"And be not thou of those who deny the revelations of Allah, for then wert thou of the losers" (Sura 10:95).

In addition, the Qur'an calls the Bible the Word of God (kalam Allah) in Sura 2:75, the Book of God (kitab Allah) in Sura 2:101; 3:23; 5:44; 28:49, and the enlightening book in Sura 3:184. Further, the Qur'an teaches that Allah Himself sent the Law (of Moses) and the Gospels: "It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong)" (Sura 3:3).

The Qur'an calls the Bible, or parts of the Bible, a light (Sura 5:44, 46), an example (Sura 11:17), and a warning (Sura 17:4). It also states that the authors of the Bible were inspired (Sura 4:163; 5:111
      February 10, 2018 6:11 AM MST

• I'm sorry that you've had a hard time with one particular Muslim.
    And you are right.
    The Qur'an consistently recommends respect for The Book and believers in the One God in many places. Mohammed also recommended that each believer follow their own path in developing a direct relationship with Allah through reading the Qur'an, meditating, thinking, praying and leading a clean and moral life. Some Muslims follow their Mullah or spiritual leader, but many take their own path and interpret the teachings in their own way. This can be tricky. Classical Arabic is a language with many ambiguities. Islamic scholars agree that since God could not make a mistake, the ambiguities are intentional, and all the meanings are equally true. This makes the study of Islam an especially difficult and subtle process, and virtually impossible if one doesn't read and write Classical Arabic fluently. Mohammed enjoined parents to ensure that their children received good educations, and praised the pursuit of all knowledge, not just spiritual and religious knowledge.

I scanned the conversation with Durdle, and I think what he says is logical and factual.

I can think of quite a few possible ways of handling and perhaps resolving the situation and getting the person to stop hassling you.
    NVC is a great technique and worth exploring.

If you haven't done so already, I'd ask the hassler to specify exactly what he or she means and back it up with quotes.

I know you normally remain calm when confronted by the doubters who dislike JW evangelism and respond by quoting from the JW translations of the Bible and Gospels.
    However, from your question, it seems this person is somehow really getting to you.
    What is your greatest need? Peace, respect, a successful conversion, mutual understanding of each other's views? Something else?
    What is that person's greatest need? Is he or she trying to get you to accept and acknowledge their right to their faith?
    How would a Good Samaritan respond in this situation?
    What did Jesus say about a soft answer and turning the other cheek?
    What does He say about love?

The person might be an ordinary troll - they come in all forms, irrespective of race, faith or lack thereof.

I say all this as an atheist who respects the rights of others to their faiths, and in the hope that you might find peace and a resolution.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 13, 2018 9:39 PM MST
      February 13, 2018 9:18 PM MST

He doesn't hassle me, so to speak. He just post supposed contradictions of the Bible in different threads. When I show him the context, then he often brings up another supposed contradiction.

I know your correct in suggesting I turn the other cheek and such. I do just walk away in the ministry. I would probably be considered a JW extremist with my actions and threads on the internet if others new about the way I argue.

(2 Timothy 2:23-25) Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights. 24 For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth,
    (Titus 3:9) But have nothing to do with foolish arguments and genealogies and disputes and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile.

(Matthew 10:14) Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet.
    (Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.
      February 14, 2018 4:29 AM MST

Indoctrination.. simply...  Aside from that, I would say I have engaged with a goodly number of Muslims... almost all would and do attack the bible... they believe what they believe... as others believe what they believe.. this is what they are taught or indoctrinated to believe... as others are indoctrinated to believe.. I've never found one yet who wasn't more than happy to discuss the Quran... indeed quite the opposite - so I can only think that whoever you encountered was fairly unusual.  
      February 10, 2018 6:48 AM MST

Perhaps all of that is true? Indoctrinated, likely. I thought Muslims thought that they accepted the Bible just were not that studious as to context as they consider the Quran to be the final testament. Perhaps some of these contradictions are why some try not to talk about the Quran to outsiders?
    https://carm.org/contradictions-quran
    https://carm.org/contradictions-quran
    n
    Or perhaps its the verses that tell them to inflict terror on people and smite off their fingers and toes and chop at the neck, depending on which version of the Quran one uses.
      February 10, 2018 6:16 PM MST

Brain washing.....Religions can't exist if the process isnt instigated at births to new brains devoid of any knowledge ......
    New brains are just like plain paper book waiting to be imprinted......they are devoid of any knowledge or emotions until they've gone to print....    Then there is no control from whoever gets to write in them....
      February 10, 2018 7:02 AM MST

so does that mean humans are like computer storage or memory, only able to hold what is written into them by others? Are they incapable of changing what's written by others and incapable of writing something themselves?
      February 10, 2018 6:15 PM MST

Highly unlikely if you've brainwashed and programmed from birth....
      February 11, 2018 6:16 PM MST

okay
    what about those who brainwashed and programmed a generation from birth - were they also brainwashed and programmed from birth?
    If we keep saying yes for every generation up, then where did the brainwashing and programming stuff come from?
      February 12, 2018 4:37 AM MST

Dunno bout all that? It seems that some religions like Islam and Catholicism get most of their adherents from babies born into them and various laws that require one to stay with said religion, depending on the area and time they were born. Myself, I wasn't raised in a religious home and never read the Bible until I was an adult.
      February 10, 2018 6:19 PM MST

Why on earth would you read it when your an adult. . ?
      February 11, 2018 6:17 PM MST

Because I wasn't brainwashed from birth and have an open mind. I prefer to know about something before forming an opinion on it.
      February 12, 2018 1:53 AM MST

To believe in something unprovable by any scienotific means......
      February 12, 2018 3:13 AM MST

Pretty sure the Bible existing can be proven by a scientific method.

I assume that you haven't read it because you start off with the assumption that everything in it is fiction, is that what you are saying?
      February 13, 2018 11:55 AM MST

Not just fiction ....pure fiction.....it makes more sense to worship the sun like the Incas did.....or maybe Neptune the God of water.....without both we just wouldn't be here......
    There are hundreds of different religions around the world......all violent apart from one or two.....all used to control the ignorant uneducated masses for thousands of year......Death was also the punnish ent for non belierves.....

The popes home in Italy is a haven for peadophilles.....he knows ,yet chooses to still let them hide and keep on abusing 
    No,I've never read on single page......as kids we weren't allowed to read thing that choose to brainwash vulnerable minds.....our parents wouldn't allow it....
    It would be nice if you could show just any independent feasible reliable proof......

Not even Darwin would dare attempt that....

February 13, 2018 1:01 PM MST

Quote: [Not just fiction ....pure fiction.....it makes more sense to worship the sun like the Incas did.....or maybe Neptune the God of water.....without both we just wouldn't be here......
    No,I've never read on single page
    ...]

Surely you don't consider yourself to be open minded?
    Surely you don't consider yourself as a reliable source to get information on the Bible?

[...,I've never read on single page......as kids we weren't allowed...]
    What did you say about being 'brainwashed and programmed from birth'?
      February 13, 2018 4:44 PM MST

not sure why
      February 10, 2018 3:28 PM MST

I don't know and I don't care. To him/her, it all makes sense.
      February 11, 2018 6:00 PM MST

The Koran has never been up for discussion. Any variant versions were destroyed early on. 
      February 12, 2018 5:00 AM MST