Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you tip when picking up a take out order?

Do you tip when picking up a take out order?

Posted - February 12, 2018

Responses

Not normally.

There is ONE place I do ... because I know the waitress.
    But then, I only tip if she is the one that took the order and the restaurant is busy.
      February 12, 2018 1:17 PM MST

I probably would too if it was a friend.
      February 12, 2018 1:22 PM MST

I wouldn't say she's a friend.
    Just the only one that gets our to-go order correct ... so we always ask for her.

LOL
      February 12, 2018 1:43 PM MST

No unless they have gone out of their way to do something as a favor. 
      February 12, 2018 1:43 PM MST

Not usually.  
      February 12, 2018 1:45 PM MST

I read yesterday that a church group did a large pick up order and the person who filled the order complained that they didn't get a tip.
    Most people didn't even know that they were supposed to tip for pick up orders.
      February 12, 2018 4:40 PM MST

Yes.  
      February 12, 2018 1:48 PM MST

I can't imagine why I would do that.
      February 12, 2018 3:21 PM MST

I sometimes do. I also tip pizza delivery folks and the people that work the drive through windows at fast food restaurants. As well as the regular sit down restaurants. I look at those people as the forgotten, neglected, and many times verbally abused part of the work force. Many are there, not because they want to be but because they have to be to out of necessity. If they've had a bad day and are a tad rude, so what, I'll still tip them. I have bad days too. My rant for the day. :)
      February 12, 2018 3:47 PM MST

Yes or I do when I make the order. 
      February 12, 2018 3:55 PM MST

i dont since its take out
      February 12, 2018 3:58 PM MST

Generally speaking, no.

I understand tipping when the person serves me... when they take orders and come back repeatedly throughout the meal. I understand tipping delivery drivers. When all someone does is put a couple items in a bag for me, I'm not sure that warrants a tip. I feel the same way at venues like Starbucks, where there's a tip jar at the inside counter and the drive-through. No tip unless the person has somehow totally wowed me with service. 
      February 12, 2018 5:23 PM MST

Agree.....in England Starbucks is hellishly expensive for just one coffee.....most all of the coffee shops are .It's less than a minutes work to make one as well...
      February 12, 2018 5:49 PM MST

Nope.
    I do for table service and delivery. 
    I fact I often pick up so I don't have to  tip or pay delivery fee.
      February 12, 2018 5:29 PM MST

No, I can't afford to tip everybody.
    I only tip if I get served and only if the server was nice.
    A while ago I walked into a liquor store and they had a tip jar at the counter that said "Tips please, we want to get drunk too."
    I swear everybody wants money for nothing these days.
    I don't tip for nothing.

February 12, 2018 5:32 PM MST

Isn't tipping the waitress/waiter part of their wages in America....?
    I read somewhere that they have a very low basic wage subsidized by tips....
      February 12, 2018 6:02 PM MST

It depends on what their level/ position is. Waiters and waitresses often fall into that category- they get a little more than $2/ hr and if their tips don't bring them up to at least $7 something, the employer has to pay the difference, per federal law.

But, it isn't always waiters and waitresses who bag your food. If I go to Starbucks, the barista is earning at or above minimum wage. Here in Arizona, the state minimum wage is above the federal minimum wage, so they're earning at least $10/ hr. If I go to Denny's or a pizza joint and it's a cashier or hostess who bags my order, they're also not on tip wages, and they're earning at least $10/ hr. Most places that offer takeout don't have the servers bagging orders- they have an alternate crew member doing it.
      February 12, 2018 6:10 PM MST

Can people manage on wages like that.....?  $400 is only £280 in England.....To rent a tiny a
    appartment/flat cost now  a minimum of £ 1500 a month.......plus local monthly council taxes ,plus gas electric and water bills.... 
    I don't know how people live anymore over here 
      February 12, 2018 7:01 PM MST

Which wages? I think $10/ hr is ridiculous and voted against it. They'll be at $12/ hr in 2020 here in AZ. To be clear, that's a normal starting wage for a whole lot of jobs that require vocational school right now. If you have to go to school to get that pay now, why the heck will kids have any motivation at all to continue their educations if they can just flip burgers and make what others had to actually work to earn? 

Earning crap wages is a rite of passage. If you don't like your wages, you either work another job, get a better education, or find a way to have fewer expenses, like living with roommates. You don't hold out your hand and demand more money because being broke is hard. You better yourself, like all the generations before have.

Individual states can set the rate at whatever they want, so long as it's at least as much as the federal minimum. So, states with a higher cost of living do have higher wages. Mississippi, one of the least expensive states to live in, is at the federal minimum or close to it. New York, which sits near the top, is presently doing a hike like Arizona is. They're at $12 moving to $15.... the cost of living (I just checked) is 77% higher in NYC than it is here. You can easily find a studio apartment for $600-700 here... in NYC, it's over $2,000. So, I really, really, really, really have no sympathy for the minimum wagers here. If we were taking people who live in NYC... yeah, that sucks. Their cost of living is through the roof. They couldn't survive on federal minimum wage and will probably still struggle at $15.
      February 12, 2018 10:29 PM MST

It sounds very much like London.....if you don't live in State/ council housing  even with a good job how do people pay their rent and other bills... . 
      February 13, 2018 3:18 AM MST

• Nope. Those online order things try to make you do it, but I don't. Tipping is for the service of being waited on. That doesn't happen with a take-out order. I will sometimes put change in a tip jar, though. 
      February 12, 2018 8:26 PM MST