Just Asking
Sharonna Impolitic
bhwilson
Zack - Mr. GenXer
Nice Jugs
CallMeIshmael
BR_8093
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » If you succeeded in something important to you, what was it? And how did you succeed?

If you succeeded in something important to you, what was it? And how did you succeed?

...

Posted - February 13

• 10854
    My main goal for many years was to provide for my family, even after I am gone.I have been successful in doing so. If I die today my wife will be taken care of financially for many years. How did I do this? I worked and planned for 45 years.
      February 13, 2018 7:25 AM MST
    3

• 5170
    That's important, yes.
    :)
    Good answer.
      February 13, 2018 7:51 AM MST
    1

• 10854
    Thank you.
      February 13, 2018 8:49 AM MST
    1

• 5170
    You're welcome.
    :)
      February 13, 2018 6:14 PM MST
    0

• 1515
    Yessiree.  We have a name for it, the 40 year plan.  We succeeded at that too.  Feels good doesn't it?
      February 13, 2018 5:59 PM MST
    2

• 5170
    I was going to write something but mine is stupid compared to Element99's important answer.
      February 13, 2018 7:51 AM MST
    0

• 1117
    I have a wonderful husband and a continuing position in a successful firm that has come to pay me lots more than I ever imagined I would be worth.  The latter by being conscientious and taking it very seriously and applying myself and following instructions and getting on with people.  The former I think by just being myself and hopeful and continuing to reach out for love. 
      February 13, 2018 9:34 AM MST
    3

• 5170
    Congratulations on all of that.
    :)
      February 13, 2018 6:18 PM MST
    2

• 1117
    Oh thank you. How nice.
      February 14, 2018 4:42 AM MST
    1

• 4232
    Was a novelty idea.. after I got out of the Navy I realized all that time floating around on the Atlantic Ocean I never got the idea to put a note in a bottle and toss it overboard to see where it might end up like on some shoreline where someone might find it. So anyway in Winnipeg I spread the idea to any friends,  relatives et al to write on a piece of paper a note which I would tuck into a bottle and deposit it into the ocean when I travel to visit the east coast where I had lived for ten years. I hitched a ride with a couple of fishermen and launched the bottles a few miles off Cape Spear Newfoundland into the Labrador current which is picked up by the Gulf Stream current then heads directly toward the British Isles then heads southward. In about six months the first bottle was found on the shores of Ireland by a retired guy strolling the beaches. Eight more bottles were found -3 in the British Isles, 2 in France and 2 in Spain. Mission accomplished! 
    More were likely found but I moved away from Winnipeg about a year later.
      February 13, 2018 2:12 PM MST
    2

• 5170
    That's really cool.
    :)
      February 13, 2018 6:17 PM MST
    1

• 5170
    Hell, I'll answer anyway in spite of my earlier answer. Excuse typos.

I entered a piano concerto competition at the collegiate level. For many reasons, I was truly the underdog.
    I was playing a concerto by my favorite composer for piano, Robert Muczynski. His music resonates within my soul like no other composer has ever been able to do. Muczynski and I even has a written correspondence going on for several years prior to, and during, the months-long competition, after I first had written to him to tell him how much I admired his works years earlier.

I ended up winning the competition and got to play a movement of the concerto with a live orchestra.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 13, 2018 7:33 PM MST
      February 13, 2018 6:25 PM MST
    1

• 16163
    not sure, i need time to think about that one
      February 13, 2018 7:36 PM MST
    0

• 2754
    A while back I decided I needed to lose some weight. Yesterday I trimmed my toenails and breathed at the same time.
      February 13, 2018 9:49 PM MST
    1

• 4232
    How about tying your shoelaces? 
      February 14, 2018 12:45 AM MST
    0

• 2754
    No comparison. I can tie shoelaces at arm's length with my eyes shut. To trim nails, I have to get the toe right up in my face and turn it to just the right angle so I trim the nail and not the toe.
      February 14, 2018 1:10 AM MST
    1

• 4232
    I must be fatter bellied than you. 
      February 14, 2018 10:13 AM MST
    0