Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Have you had a paczki today?

Have you had a paczki today?

Posted - February 13, 2018

Responses

• Nope. I've actually never even heard of it until now. I saw you messaged me about the pronunciation of this word, but unfortunately I can't respond to messages here. My computer doesn't let me for some reason. I don't know if it's a browser issue or a Mac issue, but it doesn't let me type in the text field. 

The reason why it's pronounced with an /n/ in there is because in Polish, it's written pączki, and the ą represents a nasal vowel, like the pronunciation of the French word sang, "blood". So in English, the word is pronounced with an "n" and it sounds like "ponch-kee". 
      February 13, 2018 10:58 AM MST

No, but it sounds good.
      February 13, 2018 11:01 AM MST

paczki

[pawnch-kee] 
    Spell Syllables

noun, plural paczki.
    a traditional Polish doughnut, filled with jam or another sweet filling and covered with powdered sugar or icing.

Well, now that you mention it No, I haven't and wish I had.  Lucky for me, I'm leaving for the bank in a moment.  On my way there is a Spudnuts.  I am going to stop in and get a few Paczkis and surprise Don.  

The name itself will entertain him no end!!  Great idea Element!  Thanks! :) :)
    This post was edited by Merlin at February 13, 2018 1:25 PM MST
      February 13, 2018 11:55 AM MST

I find it odd it is pronounced poonchki. I looked it up. I bought a half-dozen yesterday. We have an 88 year old bakery that makes the best in town.
      February 13, 2018 12:53 PM MST

There's some debate over pronunciation here, apparently. For what it's worth, when my busia (Polish grandmother) made them, she said the word like "poon-schkas." (That's more common, IMO... as evidenced by this lovely clip I've included... a song I grew up with about life in Wisconsin. :)

I have not had one since my busia made them... many, many years ago. I do not believe it would taste the same.
      February 13, 2018 1:23 PM MST

I am rolling on this big exercise ball laughing at you two!! 

I'm off to the bank because I feel the knead for dough.  The funny thing about Spudnuts is it sits next door to the bank in the strip mall. I'm not so sure what that says about my bank and doughnuts.  Maybe the idea of going nuts about your dough came to mind.

You both sent me off with a little sweet and spice and every way nice to pronounce this goofy little thing we are going to have as a treat on Ash Tuesday!  
    Who knew?  But you two.. and now I do too!!!  Big Giggles!

Gosh, I love this site!
    See you both soon!
    Happy! Happy!
      February 13, 2018 2:07 PM MST

Fat Tuesday, ash Wednesday...and I'm not catholic. I forgot...we're Jewish.
      February 14, 2018 12:45 PM MST

Hey, we Catholics take the good from pagan festivals.  I'm sure a Jew could enjoy a paczki with a clear conscience.  (Assuming it's Kosher, of course.) 
      February 14, 2018 1:13 PM MST

It's a Polish concoction and they are traditionally made this time of year...anyone can eat them. I bought a half dozen and my wife left me a half. It was pretty good.
      February 14, 2018 3:16 PM MST

no, i dont even know what it is
      February 13, 2018 7:32 PM MST