Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Yet another school shooting in America I've just heard on tv here in England . When will enough be enough and weapons banned and handed in ?

Yet another school shooting in America I've just heard on tv here in England . When will enough be enough and weapons banned and handed in ?

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

We have the 2nd amendment so our guns will not go anywhere. 
      February 15, 2018 5:19 AM MST

That's fine until your kid is the one that dies.....I understand what you mean though....you need to move somewhere safe then.....:(
      February 15, 2018 5:35 AM MST

The US is safe. I would not move anywhere else.
      February 15, 2018 5:54 AM MST

You have the 2nd Amendment.  I do not.

I have an idea that the 2nd Amendment must be amended.  Get off your lazy bums and do so before there is no one left to carry a gun.

Hello? 
      February 15, 2018 1:54 PM MST

You are a law abiding citizen? Yes, then you have the 2nd amendment as well even if you do not exercise it.
      February 15, 2018 1:57 PM MST

I am a law abiding citizen because I follow all the laws not because I stand by an outmoded, dangerous ideology. 

That amendment doesn't protect squat.  It harms.  We have grade school mentalities owning access to guns. 

It's so important to blow someone away to defend yourself?  Sad for you.

February 15, 2018 1:59 PM MST

I don't carry. We do keep a shotgun and a rifle in the house for hunting and protection. But yes, if it came down to defending me and mine I would shoot someone.
      February 15, 2018 3:40 PM MST

Yup, me too.
      February 16, 2018 2:44 AM MST

I think the problem with that is if you ban them then only the criminals would have weapons. They're gonna get a hold of them one way or another. Also, what would count as a weapon in that ban? I have a pocket knife and pepper spray I would use if some cretin attacks me in a parking lot or something. I don't have a good chance of fending off some crazy dude without some kind of weapon and there will always be crazy dudes lurking no matter where you are. I imagine someone small and dainty like me would be an easy target in their eyes. I'd rather not have to hurt anyone but if they're attacking me then I'll have to.
      February 15, 2018 6:33 AM MST

Do you normally have to  carry a gun when you go out shopping .......what about if you miss ,where do the bullets go if the area is busy with people.....

Where do all the bullets go when police let fly at who their chasing.....how many innocent bystanders are hit or killed by police firing their guns at whoever and hitting innocent bystanders.....are records kept on those sort of thing....? 

How would you gather up so many weapons ....there must be countless millions privately owned ...

How do you stop these pointless murders of so many innocent people....
      February 15, 2018 3:35 PM MST

Doubtful that would happen.  Don't forget that the main reason for our Second Amendment to the Constitution is that our forefathers came from England where conformity could be enforced militarily by the government.  As it was before our revolution. 
      February 15, 2018 6:33 AM MST

I know it's doubtful ...I can't see why you need amendments when so many people are getting killed....
    I can understand if you live in rural areas miles from anywhere and there are dangerous animals on the prowl....but why do you need them in cities ? 
      February 15, 2018 3:42 PM MST

Because it is the cities where most of the crime is. Sadly it is also where we have the strickest gun laws...Chicago is prime example...both the strictest gun laws and the highest murder rate. 
      February 19, 2018 4:28 AM MST

As far as legislation, nothing of any significance will happen, not in a small way due to the influence of the gun nuts in the NRA. They’ll wave the Second Amendment like a flag and accuse anti-gun partisans of fomenting tyranny. (Hell, our pitiful Congress can’t even perform it’s primary function -passing a budget. Who could expect them to enact groundbreaking legislation to challenge the NRA lobby that so many of our elected officials take millions of dollars from...)

The problem with this gun nut thinking is that the Founding Fathers supported local “militias” but couldn’t have forseen that the types of weapons of war we have today would fall within reach of mental defectives. Perhaps Jefferson, Madison and co. thought too highly of future generations, that they would properly address critical matters of their own times. 
    Clearly, weapons of war —auto and semi- auto assault rifles designated as Class 3 firearms— should NOT be in the possession of civilians; just as clearly, they are, to the detriment of too many destroyed lives. And so it goes, the wild west.  Nothing will change.
    It just astounds me that there are still countless paranoids and crazies with private armories awaiting the moment when “the Libs come over the ridge” to take their rights away. I guess a few dead children in some other state have no influence on them. 
    United We Stand, my a$$. This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 15, 2018 3:20 PM MST
      February 15, 2018 7:18 AM MST

It occurs to me that (these figures may not be 100%accurate) that the good ol usa has 5% of the worlds population yet has 25% of the worlds prisoners behind bars ( in a private for profit organisation). Is it not time to ask yourself if the problem is all about breaking a law or the law that makes them criminal. Many in the US  do not want gun control ( are you really so worried about the democratic government that you, (if you happen to be unfortunate enough to be american) elected? if  you are then please change the law, you have it in your power to do so. So change it or live with it, just look at he civilised world before deciding.
      February 15, 2018 7:21 AM MST

When organizations like the NRA cease to exist.  The Americans second amendment simply states that citizens can have weapons so that they can form a militia if/when needed {The definition of a militia is: "A military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency"}.  Back in 1789, the fledgling US they didn't have a massive army to help defend then against their enemies, nor a quick way to deploy the army they did have.  Therefore they needed the support of every-day citizens to help back them up.  So they added the second amendment.  Then along comes organizations like the NRA who read that amendment as saying "everyone has the right to own/carry a gun (of any kind)". 
    Yes, americans have a "right" to have a gun - for militia purposes.  NOT to blow away other people just because they disagree with them, or have a beef against them, or to make themselves look "tough".  Sadly, American society has degraded to the point where "might makes right".  The bigger the weapon, the mightier the person is that possesses it.  And Americans use their second amendment "right" to justify this behavior.
    If there were no organizations like the NRA pumping money into politics (in order to "get their way"), their government could amend their laws to help put an end all the gun violence.  However, so long as money is considered more valuable than a single human life, there will be no change!

Citizens of America.  Open your wallet and take out a $1 bill.  Know this - your government (the ones YOU elect) considers that piece of paper to be more valuable than your life.
      February 15, 2018 10:56 AM MST

No, it says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
    The definition of MILITIA when the amendment was written was: all able bodied men of military age. 
      February 15, 2018 12:14 PM MST

I stand corrected.  Forgive me, my US history is a tad bit rusty.

However, I still believe that people "read" too much into the amendment, and that organizations such as the NRA are partially to blame for the lack of gun control in the US.
      February 15, 2018 1:07 PM MST

Yes, they are because they are the largest organization of gun owners. 
      February 15, 2018 1:52 PM MST

Almost entirely to blame. As you said, it's all about the money. 
      February 15, 2018 3:22 PM MST

I gotta agree. Some people do read too much into the second amendment but most of it is biased and negative. The original intent and purpose of the Second Amendment was to preserve and guarantee, not grant, the pre-existing right of individuals to keep and bear arms and to protect oneself. Although the amendment emphasizes the need for a militia, membership in any militia, let alone a well regulated one, was not intended to serve as a prerequisite for exercising the right to keep and to bear arms. :) 

February 16, 2018 3:39 AM MST

We’ve seen enough of these incidents to know that some people will rush to blame firearms for this carnage and will demand that Congress enact sweeping gun restrictions, engaging in misguided efforts that completely miss the underlying reasons behind the violence we’re seeing.The simple truth is, mass shootings like this aren’t about gun control we refuse to pass. They’re about access to mental health care that we will continue to gut. 

February 15, 2018 11:37 AM MST

I say let's go back to the old west and have everyone start packing guns and have shoot outs and the last one standing wins.
      February 15, 2018 11:50 AM MST

Many states are right to open. Carry states. 
      February 15, 2018 12:15 PM MST