Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The only way anything will ever change is for all gun-people parents to love their kids more than they love their guns. Think they do?

The only way anything will ever change is for all gun-people parents to love their kids more than they love their guns. Think they do?

If that is true then the NRA doesn't stand a chance and neither does Congress. All the lobby money in the world from the NRA means crap if the folks don't vote for and elect those spineless wimps. Are you gun parents gonna do something about it?

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

Certainly ANY parent is foolish to have any guns not under lock and key.  Having weapons around a mentally ill child should have its' own penalty.  Sadly, these guns can be bought by young adults with ease it seems.  I am still trying to understand why we even have automatic weapons for purchase to begin with.  
      February 15, 2018 12:20 PM MST

We do not have automatic weapons....they are semi automatic, you must pull the trigger to fire. 1 trigger squeeze=1 bullet
      February 15, 2018 2:24 PM MST

Keep showing us your brilliant come-backs.  One's such as this one?  No one has to even debate you. 
      February 15, 2018 2:24 PM MST

Did I say you did?  I certainly wasn't asking on how to use a gun.  
      February 15, 2018 2:51 PM MST

Your answer said you wondered  "why automatic weapons are available for purchase to begin with".....they are not.
      February 15, 2018 2:55 PM MST

How do people get those rifles?  I have been doing a lot of reading in the last 24 hours and it's my understanding that boy ordered that gun with no problems.  Apparently it's easier to get a weapon like that over a pistol.
      February 15, 2018 2:58 PM MST

Any source you are reading that says an automatic weapon was used ... should attend a firearms training course.

The military uses automatic weapons.  AKA "machine guns".  One pull of the trigger fires until you either release the trigger, or run out of ammunition in the weapon.  >  Sure, civilians CAN purchase automatic weapons - but you have to pay a special tax, register with the federal government, pass stricter background checks, and purchase from a specially-licensed dealer.

The shooter used a semi-automatic rifle.  One pull of the trigger fires one shot.  Doesn't matter if you hold the trigger back, it's only going to fire once (without modifications).  When it comes down to the mechanics, an AR-15 is no different from a semi-automatic hunting rifle.

Now, as to how easy it is to get a semi-automatic rifle ... yes, in most jurisdictions it is easier to get than a handgun.  Why?  Because most crimes are still committed with handguns.
      February 15, 2018 3:47 PM MST

I'm very troubled that a young man like this had access to a gun like he had.  It's just that simple.  I will never understand why anyone but law enforcement or the military needs weapons like this. 

Our mental healthcare system is sorely lacking.  More and more services have been cut and will continue to get cut.  It's going to get worse until something is done to get to these kids before they go off the deep end.
      February 15, 2018 5:29 PM MST

Bump stocks are still legal, which effectively turns a semi into an automatic. The problem isn't the type of guns, it's just TOO MANY GUNS and far too easy to get them.
    We tightened gun laws in Australia in 1996. No mass shootings since. Coincidence?
      February 15, 2018 6:52 PM MST

A bump stock does NOT make a rifle fully automatic. It increases the speed of fire possible but it is still one trigger squeeze per shot. So still an semiautomatic.
      February 15, 2018 7:12 PM MST

It causes the gun (including the trigger) to bounce back and forth against the finger, with no further voluntary movement on the part of the operator. The difference is semantic.
      February 15, 2018 7:21 PM MST

The difference is why it is legal and why it is a semiautomatic. However, this is an example of something that should be made illegal.
      February 15, 2018 8:09 PM MST

How about this ... you can turn a single-shot rifle barrel into a "machine gun".  And people do so all the time.  And it is perfectly legal.

It's called a Gatling Gun.

February 16, 2018 12:20 PM MST

If he ordered it, it had to be delivered to a registered firearms dealer and an NCIC background check would have been done. He did not have an automatic firearm. He had a semiautomatic. The media tends to leave out the word semi when reporting. 
    Given his medical history he should not have been able to pass the background check. That is something we do need to work on. The shooter in TX also passed a background check he should not have been able too with a history of domestic violence. 
      February 15, 2018 3:47 PM MST

Yeah.
    That TX incident was partially the fault of the government's "us vs them" mentality ... especially where the military and police are concerned.
      February 15, 2018 3:55 PM MST

Any of this sort of weapon like this does not need to be available to the public imho.  
      February 15, 2018 5:32 PM MST

As Walt O'Reagun explained below a AR/AK are not more powerful than a hunting rifle. So why shouldn't a law abiding person have one to hunt or for protection? 
    They look scary to those who don't know so they use them. Most are only 22s. 
      February 15, 2018 5:46 PM MST

I don't know my guns.  I just don't think we need these rapid firing things in the market.  What that kid had was downright crazy.
      February 15, 2018 5:51 PM MST

That's the thing....they are not rapid fire. 
    Now the Vegas shooter, he had rapid fire. He had a bump stock which creates the rapid fire. Those should be illegal. 
      February 15, 2018 6:53 PM MST

Protection? (Ironic laughter)

Jim Jefferies says it better than I can. (Warning - explicit language, NSFW):
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4g8777
      February 15, 2018 6:57 PM MST

Yes, for protection. 
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.mic.com/articles/amp/64663/5-people-who-used-an-ar-15-to-defend-themselves-and-it-probably-saved-their-lives
      February 15, 2018 7:09 PM MST

(Rolling on the floor crying with laughter).

https://everytownresearch.org/firearm-suicide/

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/kids/the-gun-massacre-america-isnt-talking-about/news-story/2ce3d693d182cb31ca7dbab186b2564c

That last one is NewsCorp, the same guys that run FOX. Trump's buddy Rupert. 
      February 15, 2018 7:25 PM MST

Yes, guns are used for suicide. So are other weapons and non weapons. 
    That the owners of FOX also have leftist organizations is not surprising....ever watch FOX entertainment channel?
    Australia's suicide rate is only 3pts Per capita lower than the US and ya'll don't have guns. Showing suicide will still happen with or without guns. 
      February 16, 2018 4:51 AM MST

I don't get it either Peas. We don't need those high powered guns to defend ourselves and should not be sold to the public.
      February 15, 2018 2:31 PM MST