Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The only way anything will ever change is for all gun-people parents to love their kids more than they love their guns. Think they do?

The only way anything will ever change is for all gun-people parents to love their kids more than they love their guns. Think they do?

If that is true then the NRA doesn't stand a chance and neither does Congress. All the lobby money in the world from the NRA means crap if the folks don't vote for and elect those spineless wimps. Are you gun parents gonna do something about it?

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

Even most responsible gun owners agree with this.  I'm sure the police wouldn't want to come upon a scene where some jackwaggon has an automatic rifle on him.  A lot of these crazed killers don't care if they die once they commit their carnage.
      February 15, 2018 2:53 PM MST

The "high powered gun" used was actually less powerful than a standard hunting rifle ... and operated the same way as any semi-auto hunting rifle.  If we took away all the AR-15 and AK-74 rifles ... people would just use hunting rifles.

Take away all firearms?  Well, now someone could resort to using propane tanks.  Remember the Boston Marathon bombing?
    (and there was a major gas line within a block of the school, from what I saw watching the videos)

It all just reinforces my belief that there needs to be more energy spent on finding out WHY these people feel it's okay to kill others.
    Maybe since he was taken alive (unlike the vast majority of such killers), it will progress our understanding.
    Not "understanding" in excusing the behavior, but in preventing it.

February 15, 2018 3:53 PM MST

Because of the NRA and its love affair with gun manufacturers and because too many "americans" treasure/worship those muscle guns and can't get enough of them. Why else? Thank you for your reply PeaPod and Happy Friday! :)
      February 16, 2018 2:26 AM MST

I don't think it's that at all. I think it's probably "not me" syndrome. I wish I remembered the psychological babble that goes with it, but people always seriously underestimate the risk of something bad happening when it involves them. It doesn't matter whether it's gun violence or cancer- people just don't assess risk right. I think gun-loving parents- the die-hard ones- actually spend time teaching their kids gun safety- they teach their kids to respect the weapons. Every pro-gun family I know of is this way. That may actually feed into why they think gun violence won't touch their families. I wonder if perhaps more public awareness about what's actually happening here would be helpful. 
      February 15, 2018 1:13 PM MST

I dunno JA. I just asked a question about setting up a national lottery to guess how many gun-related massacres there will be in schools this year. So far the Florida one was number 18. Betting on how many will die seems harshly cold and gruesome but it's all about money money money money money for the NRA and the gun manufacturers. Gun people have been brainwashed into thinking that the more guns they have the safer they will be and the automatic guns are even better. I think I'm gonna ask that question. It disgusts me. I think photo of the dead children should be run every time.  Our Senator Kamala Harris in an interview said she has seen autopshy photos of such children would like other pols to see them too. Those spineless wouldn't be able to take it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      February 16, 2018 2:30 AM MST

The people who defend the right to own guns are not even thinking that way.

They think they love everything we love.  They think that they are protecting freedoms.

They DO NOT think. It has nothing to do with their love.  Who knows?  Most of them may be great parents in all other ways.  That just fortifies their belief that they are right about the guns.

They have a blind spot.  Same as a drinker that won't put the booze down because he cannot believe his behavior affects his kids.

Same thing because even if there were a question that kids could be in harm's way, you don't just ignore it and stay in denial.  You take the stand that you DROP the behavior, guns or booze or whatever, due to the chance that it MAY cause harm to kids.  Not take every day that they are still alive as proof that your behavior is just dandy.

Don't get drunk and don't own guns around children.
      February 15, 2018 2:15 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Sharon. It will be more of the same no matter how many die or how gruesome the bodies are. They don't give a rat's a**. What is most important to them is owning guns...automatic  ones too. They can't get enough of them. SIGH. :( This post was edited by RosieG at February 20, 2018 4:36 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 2:32 AM MST

The only way anything will ever change is for America to vote out the GOP come November 2018. Obviously most if not all its members are in the NRA's pockets.
      February 15, 2018 4:28 PM MST

What or who  is GOP Zack ? 
      February 15, 2018 6:14 PM MST

Grand Old Party(The Republican Party)
      February 15, 2018 6:18 PM MST

Who represents them  ? It's not Trump is it......he seems a very hated man  
      February 15, 2018 6:33 PM MST

Through Trump, the GOP can push through thier agenda and that's recsending everything Obama put into place. All because the guy is black. It's the only way they can accomplish anything. However, the partys days are numbered and they don't seem to care. It's like Lucifer knowing he's toast in the end, but all he wants to do is as much damage as possible before his number is up. This post was edited by Zack at February 16, 2018 2:53 AM MST
      February 15, 2018 6:40 PM MST

It is amazing how Trump IS going out of his way to undo everything Obama accomplished.  Some of it is totally reckless and irresponsible.  
      February 15, 2018 6:42 PM MST

The NRA Lobby gives zillions of bucks in campaign money to buy them Zack and as we all know Republicans LOVE money...the more they can get the happier they are. They are all for sale. The NRA is the rich john and the pols they buy are the prostitutes who perform all the tricks hoors perform I guess. Sigh. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      February 16, 2018 2:34 AM MST

The NRA is a terrorist organisation. It's time to recognise that.
      February 15, 2018 7:17 PM MST

Agreed. Sadly they are superduperly wealthy so they just buy the prostitutes (aka pols) and these pols will do anything any respectable prostitute will do for the money. It's the oldest profession I believe. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Sbf and Happy Friday. I asked a question about setting up a national lotter to bet on how many school shootings there will be this year and how many will die. I mean thse folks LOVE money and why do they care how they can get some? Whatcha think? You know the Florida thingy ws the 18th school shooting in the US this year. We are only in the middle of February. Think how many more there will be? :(
      February 16, 2018 2:37 AM MST

I think they do!
      February 16, 2018 4:55 AM MST