Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Do you think that the American extreamly violent gangster type action films have any detrimental effects on impressionable eyes tha

Do you think that the American extreamly violent gangster type action films have any detrimental effects on impressionable eyes tha

Actors get shot so many times yet still find the strength to fight back and kill their for......

Mel Gibson in Payback has his toes hit with a sledge hammer smashing his foot to peices......After killing four- five people that did it to him he manages to walk away hand in hand with his girl friend.....

Does that mean that people don't think guns actually kill or injure anymore ?   

Posted - February 16, 2018

Responses

Yes I do.  I know when I was growing up, you didn't have all these mass murders in schools.  It was a different time.  Violence and gore was not the mainstream and we certainly did not have the internet where it's so normalized with kids.  
      February 16, 2018 12:39 PM MST

Watching violent gory films instantly turns my stomach...... I think filmakers have a lot to answer for......

I did appreciate Saving Private Ryan as it depicted the horrors of war......but I thought it was excepable given what wars are like......and we all need to see it to stop it ....
      February 16, 2018 1:06 PM MST

Same here NJ.  I can't stand gore for the sake of gore.  But watching "Saving Private Ryan" made me appreciate why a war film like that should not be "cleaned up".  It served to show many of us civilians what war is really like for those that serve.
      February 16, 2018 1:15 PM MST

It's a film I'd watch many times over......it had a good mix of all emotions two maybe three will stick with me forever.....
      February 16, 2018 1:26 PM MST

Same here.  I know I look at veterans in a different way since I saw that movie.  Very powerful!
      February 16, 2018 1:28 PM MST

I also think parents watched what their kids were doing better back then and there was no internet to influence them like there is today.
      February 16, 2018 1:08 PM MST

Exactly.  It was easier to control what a kid was exposed to.  These days, you can have all sorts of strict rules in your home, but I guarantee they will have a friend that will show them things on the internet.  

Stuff that is out there is pretty unbelievable and way too much for a vulnerable kid.
      February 16, 2018 1:17 PM MST

Some groups on the internet encourage violence and support those who want it.
    And it's not just kids who join those groups either.
      February 16, 2018 1:57 PM MST

Nope!  I keep saying there is a big platform these days for being hateful.  
      February 16, 2018 2:08 PM MST

Well that is incorrect.  Gangster films have been big box office since the 1930s at least. 
      February 16, 2018 4:06 PM MST

Yes and the violent video games as well.
    The acceptance of killing in violent movies and games could send someone over the edge that is already on that edge.
      February 16, 2018 1:06 PM MST

They should not be called games really....i
    Its more brain programming that can become quite addictive as well as competitive to see who can kill the most...

If your five when you start  ,it must have influence how a kid acts and thinks...
      February 16, 2018 1:19 PM MST

You are right about that. Kids are programmed to be violent.
      February 16, 2018 1:53 PM MST

Certainly vulnerable kids.  Look how normal bullying on the internet seems to be.  If you speak up, you are just a "snowflake" or too "sensitive".  I refuse to apologize for wishing people cared more for each other.  Too many kids will never develop empathy for others because of what they are told and what they see.
      February 16, 2018 2:19 PM MST

Most of those kids were bullied in school and come back and take it out on the other kids and staff.
    More needs to be done to stop that and punish the kids that bully the others. This post was edited by Lulu'sMom at February 16, 2018 4:43 PM MST
      February 16, 2018 2:36 PM MST

That too.  We also need to teach these kids some good coping skills to handle stress that will happen to all of us at one point or another.
      February 16, 2018 2:40 PM MST

Yes that would help too.
      February 16, 2018 2:42 PM MST

I would say on any eyes impressionable or not. But many people like them and always have. 
      February 16, 2018 4:05 PM MST

It is all fake. Its called acting and many will pay money to see it. Did you hear of "Splatter films" ?
      February 16, 2018 8:58 PM MST

Many dispute the claim that the violence in movies has a detrimental effect on the viewer, I think the facts prove otherwise.
      February 16, 2018 11:56 PM MST

I agree.
    (Psalm 11:5) Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one; He hates anyone who loves violence.
    (Proverbs 10:23) Engaging in shameful conduct is like a game to the stupid one, But wisdom is for the man of discernment.
      February 20, 2018 8:46 AM MST