Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What are some examples of "common sense" gun control measures?

What are some examples of "common sense" gun control measures?

I have heard a few over the last few days that I would support. 

Posted - February 18, 2018

Responses

'Without guns people cannot get shot' so guns should be forbidden.
      February 18, 2018 1:42 PM MST

That will never happen. So any other ideas?
      February 18, 2018 1:49 PM MST

I am not an expert on guns, but might it be possible to manufacture guns with 'computer chips' impregnated in the weapon?  That way it would notify authorities when a gun was nearing a school or other gun free zone. 
      February 18, 2018 1:56 PM MST

Or hospital, or residence, oro... ? Crazies do crazy things in the craziest places
      February 18, 2018 2:02 PM MST

Interesting...I think the only way for that to work is to have an officer or armed security on site. My children schools have an officer and after school starts there is only one way in and one way out. 
      February 18, 2018 8:10 PM MST

armed security = guy with a gun

February 19, 2018 4:20 AM MST

Exactly.
      February 19, 2018 4:35 AM MST

Assault weapons like the type used in mass shootings are weapons of war. There are no real uses for these firearms other than shooting and killing large numbers of people; by definition, Weapons of Mass Destruction.

What justification is there for a civilian to possess them? 

Until these WMD’s are taken out of the equation, common sense is under attack. Legislation must be passed to get weapons of war out of civilian hands, and it has to be enforceable. 
    We outlawed pipe bombs and mustard gas, ... right? This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 19, 2018 7:38 AM MST
      February 18, 2018 5:00 PM MST

So all you got is banning...again never gonna happen. So what else do you got?
      February 18, 2018 8:07 PM MST

Agreed. It won’t happen. Neither, I suspect, will much else. 
      February 19, 2018 4:34 AM MST

Civilian gun ownership keeps the state afraid of the people. It's the right that protects all the other rights. We need all the scum to know we'll rise up and kill them if they push too far.
      February 19, 2018 1:25 AM MST

********. You know the state has tanks, and drones, and JSF-35s, right? You're bringing guns to a drone fight, ffs. This post was edited by my2cents at February 19, 2018 7:39 AM MST
      February 19, 2018 3:38 AM MST

Civialians have tanks as well. My husbands cousin had one.
      February 19, 2018 4:37 AM MST

Nonsense. Armies do battle with tanks, airstrikes etc. Oppressive governments rely on scumbag police WITH GUNS. Resistance to such regimes use guerrilla tactics WITH GUNS.

In the event of a fall of democracy, all it takes is for 1% of Americans to have the balls to stand up and that would be a 3 million man army. They would tear the government to pieces.
      February 19, 2018 5:09 AM MST

What you propose is anarchy. In the UK, Germany, Australia, Japan etc a state of civil order prevails witnout the need for armed citizenry. Your "oppressive government" is a straw man, the bogeyman used by the NRA as a smokescreen. Look beyond your borders - nobody else seems to have this obsessive fetish with military-style assault weapons in the hands of untrained civilians. Stop the rot before more children die.
      February 19, 2018 5:29 AM MST

It is very noticeable how the left constantly talk in the present tense. It's very short sighted. What you say is true, until it isn't. 

Human nature never changes. Someday, whether its next year or centuries from now, we will need to resist our government with arms.
      February 19, 2018 5:54 AM MST

Good luck with that. I don’t advocate all guns be banned, just the ones that are only designed to kill masses of people. Not hunting, not sport, not home defense. 

I own guns myself. I don’t see a reasonable argument to own assault weapons. 
      February 19, 2018 4:39 AM MST

They are used for hunting and defense though. 
    I do find it interesting that so far all but 1of the answers are the standards: ban them (or just these) and we don' need any more laws.
    I don't see anything changing.
      February 19, 2018 4:47 AM MST

Stop breathing as you start to pull the trigger. That relaxes you and there is less tendency to twitch, pulling the gun off target.

Gun control means hitting what you are aiming at.
      February 19, 2018 12:32 AM MST

No, all such things already exist.

The "do something" impulse must be resisted. It's weak. There is absolutely no point in doing something for the sake of it. It's typical virtue signalling, "show you care", leftist manipulation that aims to undermine constitutional rights.

At this point Americans just need to ask themselves whether they believe in the right to bear arms or not. If they don't, they should declare themselves openly and campaign to repeal the 2nd amendment. Trying to undermine it incrementally and by stealth is subversive.

A privilege can be suspended arbitrarily. A right can only be suspended by due process of law. Someone needs to have DONE something illegal, such as making threats etc. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at February 22, 2018 4:52 AM MST
      February 19, 2018 12:58 AM MST

Australia tightened gun controls after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996. No mass shootings in the 22 years since. Coincidence?
      February 19, 2018 3:39 AM MST

Not true. There have been incidents in Australia since. There have also still been massacres by other means. Mass stabbings occur, vehicular attacks etc etc. Psychos will think of other ways to kill, so what does it matter what method they choose?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

The primary factor in mass murder is always going to be the amount of mental illness in a society, which is cultural. The U.S. is a very messed up place. Switzerland has a gun culture without high levels of violence.

It should also be remembered that U.S. has about 13 times the population of Australia so such events are bound to happen more regularly anyway. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at February 22, 2018 4:53 AM MST
      February 19, 2018 4:41 AM MST

Switzerland also has conscription - not, repeat NOT masses of untrained civilians carrying assault weapons. The armed citizenry are all military reserves - they keep their weapons safely out if harm's way and know when not to use them.

Familicides come under a different category and no other gun incident in Australia since 1996 resulted in more than 3 deaths, which isn't a "mass" shooting. Gun murders there have been, certainly - mostly criminals carrying out single execeution-style hits on other criminals, so who cares?

Arson happens. Stabbings happen. No more often per thousand population than elsewhere. The figure that stands out starkly in the US is mass gun murders. How many more children have to die?
      February 19, 2018 4:51 AM MST

How many gun laws do we have in the United States? One figure is 20,000. There's probably more than that. Do the anti-gunners actually believe that more restrictive gun laws will magically make the mass shootings go away? I'm sure they do.  More gun control measures aren't the answer or what we need. What we need is for the states to look into the real underlying problem behind the mass shootings. The sad and real issue behind these attacks is a failing mental health system, and a robotic education system that turns students into numbers. While mental health is not as easy or as engaging of an issue as guns, it is the most important part of ending school shootings in America.  Will a bipartisan conversation on fixing the United States failing Mental Health care system, starting in the public education system ever happen? It better or the consequences will become even deadlier in the future. As always, just my opinion. :)
      February 19, 2018 2:44 AM MST