Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What's the number one thing that you dislike about reading? ~

What's the number one thing that you dislike about reading? ~

Posted - February 18, 2018

Responses

When I read, I like to read for a long period as a rule, which usually winds up being in more than one position since it gets tiring sitting one way only and large, heavy books force me to sit a table and read and while, okay, it is not the best for my posture and it is hard to read something that heavy in a chair while you have to hold the thing up half the time.

So, that.

Also, my eyes kind of suck.  So reading in general is not as pleasurable as before.  I'm okay if I have reading glasses on.  But as a rule I don't read as often as I used to (which was all day every day) because I am usually missing my glasses or something just as weird.

Otherwise, I love to read.  Love it. 
      February 18, 2018 8:53 PM MST

I know, right?

~
      February 18, 2018 9:04 PM MST

RIGHT.

If you don't read, how can you enjoy jokes such as this great crowd pleaser. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 18, 2018 9:49 PM MST
      February 18, 2018 9:08 PM MST

Garbage in print?
      February 18, 2018 8:56 PM MST

How easily I am distracted. I used to read for hours on end, hundreds of pages a week. Now, it takes months to finish one book. My phone rings or  vibrates, the dog wants out, I remember something I wanted to google, etc. 

I assume I've fallen prey to the instant gratification society that we live in and have lost the patience that I once had? Either that, or it's mid-life onset ADD? I really don't know.  

When the weather improves, I'm going to take a book and drive to one of the many beautiful natural areas I like to visit, leave my phone in the car, park my ass in the dirt and read for at least one hour. 
      February 18, 2018 9:20 PM MST

Very astute.  I read this and must admit I fall into this category as well.
      February 18, 2018 9:46 PM MST

I have the same problem - not just with reading.  It's as though I don't have the patience to concentrate on any one thing for any length of time.  The only time that isn't a problem is when I read going to and from work.  I know I have to be on the bus for 45-60 minutes and, assuming no one is babbling on their phone, I read the entire time. 
      February 19, 2018 6:52 AM MST

Good use of your time, Spunky. I have never been able to read while riding in a vehicle. Makes me terribly carsick. :(
      February 19, 2018 8:14 AM MST

I can't do it in a car for the same reason, but I'm OK with a bus, train or plane.
      February 19, 2018 2:17 PM MST

The words.
      February 18, 2018 11:48 PM MST

About a thousand years ago I would buy two sci fi novels, go to a coffee shop, and read both. But they keep printing them in smaller and smaller print, so I can't see the words any more. I still read online stuff, but I can't take in a whole line any more, and it's no fun when I have to slow down so much.
      February 19, 2018 12:15 AM MST

Mostly not being smart enough or knowledgeable enough to make sense of what I'm reading.  Like a lot of philosophy is like that and I try to understand it but it just ties my brain in knots which is very frustrating so I give up.  I want to learn but can't. 
      February 19, 2018 7:01 AM MST

Philosophy is not a subject where you learn anything. You memorize big words that have no meaning anywhere else, and you drop names of famous students who also learned the big words, and you get really ugly and rude when someone points out that you are not saying anything. That is philosophy.
      February 19, 2018 9:24 AM MST

Lol!
      February 19, 2018 9:32 AM MST

• Being interrupted while reading. 
      February 19, 2018 9:20 AM MST

• I hate reading a whole book only for the end to suck 
      February 19, 2018 9:33 AM MST

It hasn't always been the case but now reading makes me sleepy.  It has never been so before just lately.  I hope it passes.  I've been buying books like crazy!
      February 19, 2018 12:55 PM MST