Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » This is for you physics folks. Coriolis Effect. It influences the direction water goes down a plughole. WHY/HOW?

This is for you physics folks. Coriolis Effect. It influences the direction water goes down a plughole. WHY/HOW?

Allegedly in the northern hemisphere water goes down the drain clockwise
In the southern hemisphere it goes down the drain counterclockwise
At the equator it goes straight down..no vortexing.

WHY? How does it work? Is it a peculiar type of gravity or magnetic somethinging? Or is it simply magic?

Posted - February 20, 2018

Responses

In the northern hemisphere ocean currents move in clockwise direction -southern hemisphere a counter clockwise direction.

Where everything is upside-down then it gotta go opposite direction -backwards  as well. 
      February 20, 2018 2:15 PM MST

Don'tcha think that's kinda weird though Kg? The entire earth top to bottom spins in one direction right? So how is anything upside down? It's just me I know. I have difficulty sometimes visualizing things and this is one of them. I know when it's winter in California it's summer in Australia. I don't know why. See the difficulty I have with it? SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to you! :)
      February 21, 2018 1:52 AM MST

In physics, the Coriolis force is an inertial force that acts on objects that are in motion relative to a rotating reference frame. In a reference frame with clockwise rotation, the force acts to the left of the motion of the object. In one with anticlockwise (or counterclockwise) rotation, the force acts to the right.

You are right that it "influences" rotation differently.  

Here’s the thing: This effect is real. It’s called the Coriolis Effect, and is due to the Earth’s rotation. I have an explanation of how it works on that debunking page linked above. The Coriolis Effect is why cyclones rotate, and why they also rotate in opposite directions in the northern and southern hemispheres.

So it's real, but does it work on smaller basins, like a sink or toilet? The effect is very small, so it’s most noticeable over large areas... and it turns out to be far too small to practically affect your toilet and sink on an everyday basis. Worse, toilets don’t just drain; the water is usually injected into the bowl at an angle, which completely overwhelms the tiny Coriolis effect. Sink drains and basins can have imperfections in them that can also influence the spin of the water.

Definitely worth a look

https://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/06/03/coriolis_effect_proving_it_does_work_differently_in_different_hemispheres.html
      February 20, 2018 2:34 PM MST

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply tom and Happy Wednesday. Here's where I need a little more help so I can understand it. It's due to the earth's rotation BUT the earth spins in one direction. So what difference would it make whether you are in the northern part or the southern part?  It's like anything you spin. The entire spinning is in one direction for both top and bottom. So how can some things go clockwise and others counterclockwise depending upon your location? It affects cyclones. What exactly is IT? Magnetic forces doing strange things over oceans? I clicked on the link for which I thank you and read it and it still doesn't tell me HOW it works or WHY. It just says that effect kicks in and the larger the thing the more obvious it becomes and the smaller the thing the less observable it is. But WHAT is it that is doing it? SIGH. Sometimes I feel really thickheaded. This is one of those times. Thanks tom. This post was edited by RosieG at February 21, 2018 2:04 AM MST
      February 21, 2018 2:03 AM MST