Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Do you have a job ?

Do you have a job ?

me yes in a sense, i started a program recently which makes me work in an organization. I do the cleaning service there, but theres almost no job to do....

the place is small, and we start by 3-4 guys doing the cleaning service there, so after an hour or so theres nothing left to do ..

it sucks cuz by then theres many hours left to do but theres nothing else to do in the tasks. 

Posted - February 20, 2018

Responses

I do.
    I work at a bank. 
      February 20, 2018 10:26 AM MST

oh nice , a bank.... wonder what kind of tasks you do there. 
      February 20, 2018 10:52 AM MST

I don't like to be too specific online, but lately my favorite task at the bank is Answermugging from the lunchroom. : ) This post was edited by Summer at February 21, 2018 10:20 AM MST
      February 20, 2018 11:13 AM MST

Try reading a book when you have no job-related task.  Cool idea, huh!
      February 20, 2018 10:28 AM MST

yes i know , good idea, but we dont have an office for us... only 1 small room , so if i read there ill be standing up . but not so bad idea, i guess i should do that
      February 20, 2018 10:56 AM MST

No.  I've been out of work for 2 years now (no jobs available). 
    However, when I was working, I hated "down time" (times when there was nothing to do).  I hated just standing there doing nothing (I worked in retail).  So I gave myself something to do.  I'd straighten something, clean something, assist co workers, pull-down the entire store, empty trash, bale cardboard ... anything just so I was busy.   All my hard work paid off as I ended up being the boss.

Look around.  Are there other things you can do (it doesn't necessarily have to be the task you're being paid to do)? 
    - Clean/wipe off andy equipment. 
    - Ask if there's anything else that needs to be done or if you can assist your coworkers. 
    - Make sure you've done a through job and didn't simply rush through it just to get done.

Take initiative (but don't overstep your boundaries).  Most bosses like employees who take initiative.
      February 20, 2018 10:35 AM MST

Where do you live that has no jobs available for the past two years?  Seriously, there are signs in every window (exaggeration) saying they need employees.
      February 20, 2018 10:24 PM MST

Maybe I should rephrase that..... there are no jobs here that I'm qualified for or am able to do.  
      February 21, 2018 9:24 AM MST

I once worked at a Blockbuster Video store in which we'd literally have no customers at all for hours on end. I'd always find something to do. Oftentimes, I'd go through and give areas a very deep cleaning. I might reorganize sections of the store. I would sometimes call customers with outstanding bills and see if they would settle them. When all that was done, I'd try to come up with novel ways to increase sales. Sometimes, I'd build baskets of snacks for families or network with nearby businesses to see if they'd slide some of our coupons to their employees. There was always something I could be doing. I just had to have a creative mindset to come up with ideas that suited the company's goals. I was also a manager, so it really was on me to stay busy and to find things for other employees to do when they were there with me. 

If you genuinely can't find anything to do, talk to your supervisor and let him/her know that you would like more tasks. If your supervisor has no idea, go to the person above him/her. 

Congrats on finding work! It sounds like you're on a great path!!! I don't know how you found this place or what it is, but it sounds like it really could be a gateway to a better life. I hope you make the most of it!
      February 20, 2018 11:50 AM MST

I really hope that you got to at least watch some movies while you were there. LoL!
    That would be the best part of working at a video store I think.
      February 20, 2018 12:53 PM MST

Nope. We had a special DVD we had to play that ran the same previews and music videos over and over again in like a 30 or 60-minute loop. :/
      February 20, 2018 6:02 PM MST

Damn Blockbuster!! They took the fun out of it. I would've only worked in a video store for the love of movies. To watch them, be surrounded by them and to talk about them with customers.
    The old video stores I used to go to always had some movie playing up in the corner on the TV.
    Oh well...

February 20, 2018 10:37 PM MST

We got five rentals free each week. I got to see a ton of movies that way. I also had a lot of great discussions with customers. Being in such a slow store, I could walk the wall with people who came in and just chat for 30 minutes with them. I got to know many of them really, really well- particularly those who were on the movie pass that gave them unlimited rentals. It was a fun job- arguably one of the best I ever had. I went to dental assisting school while I worked there, but when I finished school and was supposed to transition to full-time dental assisting only, I couldn't break myself away from the job I loved it so much. I want to say I stayed at Blockbuster for about a year after- working both jobs, purely because I enjoyed the work. 
      February 21, 2018 11:22 AM MST

I work when and where I want each week..   :)
      February 20, 2018 11:59 AM MST

• I have two jobs. On the rare occasion my regular week day job is slow I color at my desk or do puzzles. My weekend job I am a restaurant manager and it’s so busy I have no down time.
      February 20, 2018 6:32 PM MST

• Yes. I'm a waste relocation technician.
      February 20, 2018 7:57 PM MST

Right now my full-time job is being a mom.  I'm on-call all the time.  I ended my employment at a dairy transportation company when I had my kids.
      February 20, 2018 8:41 PM MST

I retired from a corporate job very early.  Now I'm pretty much retired but I can work at will so I do some work, mostly for and through friends and family.  
      February 20, 2018 10:31 PM MST

They used to refer to us as 'mechanics', these days 'cleaner' is a more accepted term. But so long as we can do a good deed in this drab world, do someone a good turn by ridding them of an itch, or of something that stands in the way of progress, and if it gets a fellow a jingle in his pocket, surely that can't be a bad thing.

February 21, 2018 10:16 AM MST

That sounds HORRIBLE.  OH GODDDD. 

I am glad you have work and all, but you need to keep looking or die of boredom.

And why the heck do they even need two people, much less three people?  Weird.
      February 21, 2018 10:19 AM MST

Oh yes.  I won't even tell you right now about my plodding, uphill, job struggles.  I must be working off some amazing karma because I am a good worker, I think, but I keep having to look elsewhere because I am not in the place I need to be.  What can I say?   I cannot do my best when under a lot of stress.  I am a healer and need to concentrate on the person I am working on.  Not on whether the boss loves me today or if the boss is too tired to think straight. 

So, I have a job I like that does not have enough hours, and I have a lot of other jobs I am interviewing at that I do not like that I keep hoping will be as good as the other job I have. 

I know it is out there.  I have to be brave and not give up.  I am not working for any jerks.  Please, God.  I deserve better.  The weird thing is I am not all that picky, but I need to feel secure and so far I do not.  Financially.  I need to keep my house and pay my bills like a good adult. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 21, 2018 10:25 AM MST
      February 21, 2018 10:22 AM MST

I had a housekeeping job in a nursing house years ago. I ran into the same thing running out of things to do about midway through the day. I would choose a room each day to do a deeper clean in. It killed a few more hours.
    Is there anything else you could more indeepth? Does the outside need cleaned? Outside almost always can be cleaned up more. 
      February 21, 2018 10:30 AM MST