Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you think a study the many gods that existed since concept of gods began would help give a better understanding of God of the bible?

Do you think a study the many gods that existed since concept of gods began would help give a better understanding of God of the bible?

Posted - February 21, 2018

Responses

If you want to understand this or that god, the thing to do is read the book that he/she/it gave for that purpose. So far, only one has given a book for that purpose. All the others want you to tie into their religion as spoken, not written, by some person. Eventually someone might collect all the spoken words into a written compilation, but the religion is still based on crap spoken by some human. That is why you are urged to read the bible rather than asking random people to tell you what it says. The bible was written, not compiled from spoken words. 
      February 21, 2018 4:15 AM MST

Very intriguing. Especially

1. "So far, only one has given a book for that purpose." >>> is that universally agreed or just claimed by some? And who is that "only one"?

2. "the religion [of All the others?] is still based on crap spoken by some human" >>> is that also universally agreed?

February 23, 2018 5:40 PM MST

God said it, that settles it. It doesn't matter if anybody agrees with it or not.
      February 24, 2018 3:06 PM MST

I like "God said it, that settles it. It doesn't matter if anybody agrees with it or not."

In 2 Timothy 3:16 it says “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”

Now the Vedas are one of the most ancient and sacred of scriptures and they say, in Yajurveda 32:3 about God, "Na tasya Pratima asti" meaning "Of Him (God) there is no likeness" 

Does that settle it?

February 24, 2018 6:27 PM MST

The truth of the matter is:
    There is one God. Always has been
    Always will be.
    Want an understanding of God?
    God exists within you as you.
    Look within, find that oneness within you.
         Beyond your thoughts, beyond your ego,
    When the mind is still, the presence of God
    is experienced as your Self,
    The light of your consciousness.
      February 21, 2018 9:15 AM MST

This doesn’t answer the question.
    The real truth is your answer is only your opinion. 
      February 21, 2018 2:48 PM MST

I do not presume to speak for Baba, but I think one might see Baba's post answering the question if one precedes it with an implied "No, because...." The answer to the question "Do you think ......" would then read:  "No, because...."  ".....The truth of the matter is: There is one God. Always has been Always will be."

Your second statement could be taken as a criticism for not expressing someone else's opinion or a compliment for unique and original thinking.
      February 23, 2018 6:13 PM MST

It was intended both ways. 
      February 24, 2018 10:51 AM MST

ha ha ha, that's a good one
      February 24, 2018 11:17 AM MST

"The truth of the matter is: There is one God. Always has been Always will be." sounds simple,  sensible and appealing
      February 23, 2018 5:43 PM MST

How do you know only one god -maybe God clones himself so every individual person is provided with a personal God. I gave some thought to that possibility and supposing that may be the case I made an agreement that I will not take trouble to worship and pray to him and that seems to be working fine. He seems to be looking after me satisfactoily. 
      February 23, 2018 9:31 PM MST

If we take your scenario in which "maybe God clones himself so every individual person is provided with a personal God" then in that scenario the "only one god" would be the original one from which the clones were made, the one who initiated the creation, the coming into being, of all that there is and has ever been.
      February 24, 2018 6:21 AM MST

My clone God says I don't have to believe what the bible says; just to assume his existence is all that is required. 
      February 24, 2018 7:41 AM MST

1. "My clone God says I don't have to believe what the bible says" >>> okay. I assume you believe that particular instruction of your "clone God" because it seems reasonable to you. I further assume that if the instruction of your "clone God" had been something like "trip up that old lady struggling up the street with her shopping" you would not follow it, because it wouldn't seem reasonable to you. 

2. Your "clone God" is by definition a creation, not The Creator. It makes sense to have The Creator as God, and not to regard a creation as God.
      February 24, 2018 11:09 AM MST

We just keep things simple between us, no complications. He just helps me along sometimes and never says or suggest anything. That's the way a God should be. 
      February 24, 2018 11:37 AM MST

"He just helps me along sometimes" could be an understatement considering that all the countless laws, including those of food digestion and blood circulation, are set up in our favour.

As for "[My clone God] never says or suggest anything" it seems to clash head on with "My clone God says I don't have to believe what the bible says"

Maybe you need to rethink and redefine your God 
      February 24, 2018 2:34 PM MST

The bible stories about God  were written by men who were inspired by the stories written about all the crazy previous gods.
      February 24, 2018 8:54 PM MST

"The bible stories about God  were written by men who were inspired by the stories written about all the crazy previous gods." >>> That sounds like a conclusion derived from reasoning. Why not use that kind of reasoning to sift through the various books that are claimed to be scripture by the major religions of the world to help you get a reasonable, positive concept of God? You could get yourself a concept of God that will allow you to confidently say, "If there is God, this is what He must be like"
      February 25, 2018 3:45 AM MST

I don't think I could be that interested to do a lot of serious research; just that I might have a helpful God clone is sufficient for me. I think Buddha's wisdom has been about the best I have ever heard rather than stuff in the 'inspired by God' scriptures. 
    At least a half dozen times an unexpected almost miraculous turn of events saved me from a lot of trouble in the past. I imagine people do experience these sort of things anyway and say it is their guardian angel or something. This post was edited by Kittigate at February 25, 2018 12:24 PM MST
      February 25, 2018 5:46 AM MST

You're quite puzzling and seemingly full of conflicts and this is another one. You say "I don't think I could be that interested to do a lot of serious research" even though, "At least a half dozen times an unexpected almost miraculous turn of events saved me from a lot of trouble in the past." With other people just one "wake up" call has been enough to send them on a serious search. Joshua Evans in the clip below, being just a youth, was a bit more reckless. He ignored his first "wake up" call, a "miraculous turn of events". It took another "miraculous turn of events" to push him into a serious search. Fast forward to 3 minutes for his "miraculous turn of events" and compare them with yours. Perhaps yours were not that scary, I don't know.

February 25, 2018 12:22 PM MST

Ok I am just fine with things 'as is'. Thanks for trying to be helpful. 
      February 25, 2018 1:46 PM MST

not just trying to respond to the apparent cry for help but trying to understand the apparent conflicts you present as well. However, the barrier you have erected against both is too heavy. Anyway, keep posting, and seeking elsewhere and I hope you find a good answer to what's troubling you. Matthew 7:8 has Jesus saying, “Ask, and it will be given to you….. For everyone who asks receives”
      February 25, 2018 2:33 PM MST

Ho boy..! Yes CLURT. This post was edited by Kittigate at February 25, 2018 3:14 PM MST
      February 25, 2018 3:13 PM MST

whoops! Did I touch a raw nerve there? Didn't mean to, honest to gods [both cloned and original]
      February 26, 2018 12:45 PM MST