Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Anyone see the movie BEING THERE with Alec Guinness? His character Chance reminded of donjohn. Ya wanna know why?

Anyone see the movie BEING THERE with Alec Guinness? His character Chance reminded of donjohn. Ya wanna know why?

He didn't read. He watched TV every chance he could. He wasn't curious. He was very limited in all ways, especially intellectually. Donjohn is all of that. However Chance was a very kind nice gentle man. The donjohn isn't. If you haven't seen the movie I recommend it and you will know the why of my question. If you have seen it what did you think of Chance and do you see what I see in the donjohn prez that causes me to see the VERY STRONG connection between the two?

Posted - February 21, 2018

Responses

Peter Sellers was Chance, wasn't he?

I'll do a compare and contrast---

Intellectually challenged for sure; but Chance's affect (and effect) was benign or positive; Trump is malignant.
      February 21, 2018 8:33 AM MST

Yes. My mistake. It was Peter not Alec. Donjohn doesn't read. He watches TV addictively consistently. He is incurious. Those are all identical and bare based on the lack of intellectual capacity. Character-wise as I stated in my question there is no comarison. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Thursday.
      February 22, 2018 2:32 AM MST

NO ROSIE

It was Peter Sellers.

Don't even compare the two either.

Peter Sellers in that movie was in his own head, but his head was not filled with demons, and greed and lust and anger and envy and revenge.

Check the 9 circles of Hell.  Trump has resided in each of them.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 22, 2018 2:33 AM MST
      February 21, 2018 8:36 AM MST

My mistake. It was Peter not Alec. Both Chance and the donjohn don't read, watch TV obsessively and are incurious. Intellectually lacking traits. Their characters are totally dissimilar as I stated in my question. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      February 22, 2018 2:34 AM MST

• That's an interesting interpretation of "Being There". I didn't see it that way at all. The title is the give away to this plum of a satire. Television and media elevates you to a place that is almost as good as being there. This was innocence and naivety (Chance) versus the gullibility of the masses. The problem that the film brought out very cleverly, was that forms of media ask you to leave reality at the door and accept something that your senses know isn't quite right. One of the funniest examples of this was Jack Warden's POTUS trying to sell Chance's gardening tips as an economic forecast. Poor simple Chance just told the truth and everyone transformed it into what they wanted to hear. I think that today's media has become more bizarre and more twisted than the subtle warning we got from this little fable. I really don't see any parallels in this film to the current administration. I think a remake of this would be a lot closer to today's reality than this film from the late 70's. "Being There" was built on a lot of misinterpretation from which harm comes. Today it's more deliberate.
      February 21, 2018 10:43 AM MST

You  know what uncle bob? I missed that completely! I just saw the superficial similarities. Both don't read. Chance didn't know how and donjohn doesn't have the patience or interest. Both are addicted to TV and watch it incessantly. Both are incurious. All of which indicate lack of intellect in my opinion. Their characters couldn't be more dissimilar. BUT when you point out what YOU saw I see I missed the most important points and I'm appreciative of the fact that you brought it to my attention in a most kind manner.  Seriously. You didn't berate or ridicule me for it. I think I need to see the movie again nd watch it with a different eye. Once again thank you uncle bob. That's precisely WHY I'm here. To ask questions about things that puzzle me or anger me or interest me to see what others think about them mostly so I can LEARN. I learned a valuable thing from you. Things are not always what they seem or rather things are not only what they seem to be on the surface. I know. Should have learned that long ago. SIGH. Happy Thursday uncle bob and thanks for dropping by! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 22, 2018 2:43 AM MST
      February 22, 2018 2:41 AM MST