Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » How many times have you been married? What have you learned from those marriages?

How many times have you been married? What have you learned from those marriages?

Posted - February 21, 2018

Responses

Once but not until I was 53 and we're still married six and a half years later.  People in my family tend to be unfaithful but we all seem to stay married.  What I have learned is I want to stay married to him and care for him as we become older. 
      February 21, 2018 3:57 PM MST

Awww....that's sweet.
    Growing old together and caring for someone is a very loving thing to do.
    Thank you for sharing.

This post was edited by Summer at February 21, 2018 4:28 PM MST
      February 21, 2018 4:11 PM MST

Once. It lasted 3 months.
      February 21, 2018 4:12 PM MST

Twice---first time 7 years; last time will be 37 years in October.

Learned not to marry a girl who just wants to get out of the house.  Plus she was (in retrospect) was probably a borderline personality disorder type of gal and possibly a sex addict.

February 21, 2018 4:17 PM MST

• The two usually go hand in hand so that’s not shocking. 
      February 21, 2018 4:34 PM MST

• I’ve only been married once and it will be one year on 4/28.

I’m only 22 so I haven’t learned very much but this whole relationship has taught me that people who really care about you and love you won’t just abandon you when things get difficult. My past relationships didnt work out because I am “too difficult“ and I figured that this relationship would end up the same way. 

It didnt though and we are working together on ways to deal with my borderline personality disorder when it gets out of control. I get it something I have to do but helps to have someone who isn’t going to abandon you when your mental illness acts up because that is a huge fear of mine. He gets the brunt of my awful behavior, but he is a saint and I have never been more grateful for another human. 
      February 21, 2018 4:32 PM MST

Aww...that's so sweet. Good luck with your marriage and just enjoy every moment of it.
    Thank you for sharing.

February 21, 2018 5:02 PM MST

Just once. I think the biggest lesson I learned was that you have to watch how that person treats others, not just how they are with you. My ex was a jerk to everyone and had huge temper issues, but he was very good with me at first. As the relationship progressed, he lost the facade with me- whether it was an act or he genuinely just felt like being kinder to me at the start... I don't know, but I will never pair up with someone who doesn't share my values or who doesn't treat everyone with respect again. 

As a second measure, I think all couples have to have some really hard discussions before they get married or live together- all things from parenting to division of work and finances should be hammered out ahead of time to make sure that both parties agree. My ex and I discovered after the marriage that we disagreed on all these areas. 
      February 21, 2018 4:43 PM MST

Thank you for your response. I agree that some people are only nice to those that they want something from.
    Watching how they treat everyone is crucial if you want to see their true colors.
    Sounds like you have some good ideas going forward and I hope it all works out for you. : )
      February 21, 2018 5:06 PM MST

Once. 

I learned not to be married. 
      February 21, 2018 7:49 PM MST

No times.  I learned from my parent's marriage that it was not for me. 

February 21, 2018 8:07 PM MST

Just once, for 43 years so far.  I've learned that after the kids move away and live on their own, you have to find a new reason to be married.
      February 21, 2018 9:26 PM MST

That's an interesting perspective.
    Thank you for your response.
      February 22, 2018 10:02 AM MST

Well, there is always that original commitment of "until death do us part."  And loving is an act, not primarily a feeling.  So I agree it's good to have additional goals besides raising children, but I would suggest that where I just mentioned is a good place to start looking if need be.
      February 22, 2018 2:42 PM MST

I was married for nearly 40 years to the same man until his death over five years ago. I have never been the same since and remarrying is out of the question for so many reasons. My main reason is because I have the firm belief and hope that one day i will reunite with my husband in the coming new world. It is prophesied that the dead will come back to life. (John 5:28,29)i look to that day with great confidence, as if i were living there already. 
      March 6, 2018 9:06 PM MST

I was married for nearly 40 years to the same man until his death over five years ago. I have never been the same since and remarrying is out of the question for so many reasons. My main reason is because I have the firm belief and hope that one day i will reunite with my husband in the coming new world. It is prophesied that the dead will come back to life. (John 5:28,29)i look to that day with great confidence, as if i were living there already. What i learned from decades of marriage is that it is a life of sacrifice and of putting the best interests of your mate in first place. (Philippians 2:4) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at March 6, 2018 11:03 PM MST
      March 6, 2018 9:06 PM MST