Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Do you think there are many people who own guns just to hear the loud 'bangs' and because they love the aroma of burned gun powder?

Do you think there are many people who own guns just to hear the loud 'bangs' and because they love the aroma of burned gun powder?

Posted - February 24, 2018

Responses

I don't have my weapon anymore. I hadn't used it much since I left the city anyway. When some shady character slid out of the bushes and pointed a roll of $50 bills at me demanding my gun, naturally I handed it over without demur - nobody wants a wad of crisp new $50 bills shoved up their *** do they?
      February 24, 2018 11:37 AM MST

Right! ..lol
      February 24, 2018 11:43 AM MST

Who’s to say? Those certainly are sexy side effects though, aren’t they?

Vince is a crony of mine (old Vietnam vet) who’s a vintage gun collector. Has a buttload of historic and rare guns. He’s got assault rifles and muskets. He likes to take them out, wipe them off and put them back. Personally, I don’t think he has fired one or even smelled powder in this century. 

Conversely, another buddy I fish with has a concealed gun Permit. Carries a Sig Sauer. Nice piece. Burns hundreds of rounds a month. He says it‘s about the sense of power. Fool shoots at the fish when they’re not biting. 
      February 24, 2018 11:42 AM MST

First time I went to a shooting group with a bunch of kids my age, I had never fired a gun before.  First target was 50 out of 50 with a kids group.  

I thought that was cool.

The first gun that I bought for myself was a 22 cal pump---17 rounds long rifle, 22 short (if I recall correctly). Saved quite a while before I (my father) bought it.

I would occasionally used 22 short rifle on cans on the ground---hold the trigger down and pump the slide and for a 13 year old that was some pretty rapid shooting.  I liked the original concept of "reach out and touch someone."

I also liked the smell of the cleaning supplies and process.  I wonder if it was designed to be addicting---like the Oreo cookie filling.

I still have a 22 pistol that looks like a "Colt 45.)  I was into "fast draw" for a few years and actually got pretty good at it.

I used to occasionally skeet shoot---Browning superposed 20 gauge.

Did some deer (30 cal) and bird hunting, but Texas is primarily posted private property unlike Montana.  Never was as convenient to go plinking or hunting, so I gradually stopped over the years. 

(Guns came before my penis was a meaningful alternative---so perhaps my penis is simply an extension of my guns.)

This post was edited by tom jackson at February 24, 2018 11:38 PM MST
      February 24, 2018 2:05 PM MST

I think in many cases, the inverse is true...

It’s a powerful experience to use firearms. I had never fired any guns until I went into the Army. Then they made sure I shot them all; of course, without any objections on my part.

My wife never had any problems around guns but won’t fire a shotgun again. We still have a 9-mil and a 12 gauge at home. I keep a 30-06 on my boat.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 24, 2018 4:57 PM MST
      February 24, 2018 3:48 PM MST

No
      February 24, 2018 2:07 PM MST