Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What is an odd, weird, funny, or interesting fact concerning anything about the formal education you've received during your lifetime? ~

What is an odd, weird, funny, or interesting fact concerning anything about the formal education you've received during your lifetime? ~

Posted - February 26, 2018

Responses

Back in the day (in a little one-room school house on the prairie), I actually learned.  I may not have been the most attentive student, but I must have absorbed something to get me as far as I've gotten in life.
      February 26, 2018 7:37 AM MST

Most people assume I have a college degree and I don't. The only college I've attended thus far is the one I got my dental assisting certification from. I'm actually starting a program through Harvard next month to fill in some gaps, then circling back around to a formal degree path after.
      February 26, 2018 5:15 PM MST

Pretty much hated school as a youth, but loved all the college courses I took as an adult.  Never got a formal degree, but have had some pretty decent jobs, including a home business I ran for several years.
      February 26, 2018 5:51 PM MST

Exactly half of my professors apologized in class because they didn't know what they were supposed to teach or how to teach it.

One of them, chemical engineering professor, took class time to tell us "You shouldn't expect much from your teachers because we didn't get our jobs by being good teachers." As if it were our responsibility to avoid embarrassing them.
      February 27, 2018 4:48 AM MST

Wow, that's profound!  It's always rubbed me the wrong way when they start out at the very beginning with, "This information is pretty dry and boring, so it's going to be difficult for you to stay awake, but please try your best anyway."  It sets them up for immediate failure rather than coming up with a way to make the class interesting. They might as well tell students not to think about the white elephant sitting in the back of the room. 
    ~
      February 27, 2018 5:34 AM MST

I think it's interesting that some educators are just now beginning to realize that pre-adolescent boys have a hard time concentrating when they are forced to sit in a chair for six hours per day.  Duh!
      February 27, 2018 5:40 PM MST

not sure
      February 28, 2018 4:39 PM MST