Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Christians, did you give up anything for Lint?

Christians, did you give up anything for Lint?

Posted - March 1, 2018

Responses

My bellybutton.

March 1, 2018 6:52 AM MST

That's creepy. She needs an exorcism.
      March 1, 2018 6:56 AM MST

Lint is not a Christian observance.
      March 1, 2018 11:51 AM MST

Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity. 
      March 1, 2018 12:34 PM MST

Catholics celebrate Lent. I did when I was young. I no longer am a practicing Catholic, so I don't do Lent. There are differences in the beliefs that Catholics and Christians have. Some Catholics Don't consider themselves Christian, the same as some Christians Don't consider Catholics as Christian.
      March 1, 2018 12:53 PM MST

Catholics follow Christ. That is the definition of Christianity. I know there are definitely differences in beliefs of Catholics and Protestants but both are followers of Christ so are Christians. 
      March 1, 2018 1:03 PM MST

As a former Catholic we'll just agree to disagree. 
      March 1, 2018 1:11 PM MST

Never heard of a Catholic who didn't consider himself a Christian---perhaps the definition of "Christian" has been bastardized beyond all of its original meaning.
      March 1, 2018 2:03 PM MST

Got that right. Even those slaughtering one another in Rwanda thought they were following Christ just like those slaughtering one another in World Wars and Civil Wars. But then again, how can those that don't read the Bible know what it means to follow Christ when everything we know about Jesus is recorded in the Bible?
      March 1, 2018 8:43 PM MST

Following Christ and professing to follow Christ are not necessarily one and the same. Most Catholics and Protestants in WWII Germany followed Hitler in total opposition to what the scriptures reveal about Christ.
    (Matthew 7; Matthew 23)
      March 1, 2018 1:16 PM MST

• Speaking as a Protestant, (Pentecostal in fact) we do, as you say, have our differences. If you're a blood bought heir of the kingdom and child of the King, trusting daily in the shed blood of Jesus and the covenant of grace and mercy  that He established with us on the cross, then you and I are on the same team with the same hope of eternal security. In this day and time, we need to emphasize our similarities and not our differences, as Christianity as a whole is under attack. Just had to throw this in.
      March 1, 2018 1:20 PM MST

Yeah---lots of differences in the "organized" religions---not unlike one human race, different ethnicities.

Christ only established one church (catholic means universal) and everybody who follows Him is a member---regardless of what you call yourself or your rubric of worship and belief.

Edit:  added the word or This post was edited by tom jackson at March 1, 2018 4:12 PM MST
      March 1, 2018 2:06 PM MST

Catholics that I have met are quite emphatic about following church traditions, NOT Christ. In the Roman Catholic tradition, Christ is either a helpless infant or a helpless dying convict. The savior is Mary, not Christ.
      March 1, 2018 10:06 PM MST

You said:  "In the Roman Catholic tradition, Christ is either a helpless infant or a helpless dying convict."

It is always amazing to me how people who are not Catholic think they know all about Catholic teachings and tradition---but don't. 

Actually, we consider Him the savior of the world, re-establishing in an even better way, man's relationship to God that Adam and Eve fumbled away.

And the emphasis is on Christ's Resurrection, not on his birth or death on the cross.

But thank you for playing my game.  

March 2, 2018 12:21 PM MST

From what I have seen, Catholics often have imagery of Jesus in a manger or mother and child. Other than that, they often have him dead on a cross, obviously a misunderstanding of scripture. Also, Jesus gave his life in our behalf and that is what Christians memorialize so not sure why more emphasis is put on his resurrection than the commemoration of his death?

(1 Corinthians 11:23-26) For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.
    (1 Corinthians 15:3) For among the first things I handed on to you was what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
    (Matthew 26:26-28) As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf, and after saying a blessing, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” 27 And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you, 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.
    (Luke 22:19) Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”
    (Isaiah 53:8) Because of restraint and judgment he was taken away; And who will concern himself with the details of his generation? For he was cut off from the land of the living; Because of the transgression of my people he received the stroke.
    (Isaiah 53:12) For that reason I will assign him a portion among the many, And he will apportion the spoil with the mighty, Because he poured out his life even to death And was counted among the transgressors; He carried the sin of many people, And he interceded for the transgressors.
    (Ecclesiastes 7:1) A good name is better than good oil, and the day of death is better than the day of birth.

(Hebrews 6:6) but have fallen away, it is impossible to revive them again to repentance, because they nail the Son of God to the stake again for themselves and expose him to public shame.
      March 2, 2018 12:38 PM MST

You say "Catholics often have imagery of Jesus in a manger or mother and child. Other than that, they often have him dead on a cross, obviously a misunderstanding of scripture."

The misunderstand is yours.

The primary focus of an active Catholic is on Christ as the savior of the world who reconciled man to God.

That's why Easter (the Resurrection) is the most important feast of the liturgical year for Catholics.

And that constant realization cannot be captured in imagery---it requires a personal relationship with the second person of the trinity who took on human nature to redeem mankind.

And since you, by definition, think that such a relationship is impossible, you cannot ever understand that what that relationship might be.

That's why I have such a problem with the JW's---following what you teach so hamstrings those who believe what you say.

And of course, never having been a Catholic, you have no real knowledge of what we think and believe---as I believe I have mentioned before.
      March 2, 2018 12:52 PM MST

Easter is a pagan celebration. There is nothing to do with Christ, and no connection with a resurrection. The resurrection is in the future anyway. But the church only cares about traditions, not accurate theology.

The Catholic church teaches that Jesus carried his cross some distance. The bible does not record that he touched it before they nailed him to it. The church teaches that he was crucified on a Friday and rose on a Sunday. The bible says he was crucified about sundown, so he rose about sundown and was ALREADY RISEN on Sunday morning. So he rose Saturday evening. Count back three days and three nights and you find that he was crucified on a Wednesday. The Passover sabbath was on a Thursday that year.

But the Roman Catholic Church does not teach any such thing. It offers a holiday celebrating eggs and rabbits and sunrise. Those are pagan worships.

Put that in your pope and smike it!

March 2, 2018 2:50 PM MST

I agree with some of that but not all. Fr example I believe that Jesus carried the stauros and then compelled Simon of Cy·reʹne to carry it the rest of the way.
    (John 19:17)
      March 2, 2018 5:50 PM MST

Please use scriptures to show my misunderstandings.

Jesus and the Bible have nothing to do with rabbits and eggs or Santa.

And of course, never having read the Bible, you have no real knowledge of what the Bible says---as I believe I have mentioned before.

March 2, 2018 5:54 PM MST

Your mention of my supposedly never having read the bible is akin to the Santa Claus legend.

I know that Santa Claus does not deliver gifts on Christmas even, but unless you are Jewish; it is better not to deny your child the experience of the concept of a Santa Claus until he is old enough to distinguish fantasy from reality.

The equivalent myth in this case is that you believe that I have never, nor do I currently read the bible.

Believing that is good for you in that you never have to deal directly with whether or not I am right.

When you are old enough to distinguish fact from fiction, you will no longer have to believe that my understanding of scripture is less that yours.

At that time, you will be able---perhaps---to come to terms with what God is doing in our lives.

March 5, 2018 12:57 PM MST

Your knowledge of the Bible is akin to the Santa Clause legend, just another false story.

The problem with teaching children false myths as if truth is that often they end up confused as to what is true and what isn't like yourself. Try looking up John 4:24 and 2 Cor 6:14-18 and 2 Tim 4:2-4 and tell me how that fits in with your mixture of paganism and Christ name?

Your lack of knowledge of the Bible permeates your post.
      March 6, 2018 12:17 AM MST

"Catholics follow Christ. That is the definition of Christianity." >>>> If that's the only definition then Muslims must be the best Christians as they are the best followers of the Christ. If Jesus was to reappear it is the Muslims who would see him as being more like themselves and it is among Muslims that Jesus would feel more at home. Here are just a very few similarities:

Muslims don't call the Christ Jesus. They call him Eassa which sounds more like what he was called in Aramaic

Jesus was circumcised in accordance with God's everlasting covenant with Abraham, Muslims too circumcise their sons

Jesus never taught about the trinity and declared the Father to be "the ONLY true God" Muslims are strict monotheists too

Jesus submitted his will to God saying "my food is to do the will of the one who sent me" and added that anyone who did the will of God was his family member. Muslims submit to the will of God

Jesus taught that the law of God must be observed warning that “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven” Muslims observe the law of God

Jesus never taught that children are born with sin, that sin entered the world through Adam and will leave through his death and resurrection and that anyone who believes that will have his sins forgiven and be saved. Muslims too don't believe in any of that.

Jesus taught that God is most forgiving and will forgive any sincere repenter no matter how steeped he was in sin. Muslims believe the same.

March 2, 2018 10:58 AM MST

Well, I'm glad that you would recognize Jesus if he appeared in his human manifestation.

As a Catholic, so would I, but for slightly different reasons.

Of course, if he appeared in his divine manifestation, you would have to admit you wouldn't have a clue as to who he was.

I'm not sure that puts you in an enviable position.

March 2, 2018 12:38 PM MST

"Of course, if he appeared in his divine manifestation, you would have to admit you wouldn't have a clue as to who he was."

If Jesus had stated clearly that he had appeared in his divine manifestation or will do so on his return then I'd be in a position of great reluctance to believe him.

If you readily accept that about Jesus despite there being no unambiguous claim about his divinity then you must have accepted the divine manifestation in which Rajneesh appeared. His ashes were placed in his newly built bedroom in Lao Tzu House at the ashram in Pune. His epitaph reads, "OSHO // Never Born // Never Died // Only Visited this Planet Earth between // Dec 11 1931 – Jan 19 1990". No ambiguity at all there.

If you accepted the ambiguous divinity of Jesus but not the unambiguously claimed one of Rajneesh then "I'm not sure that puts you in an enviable position." as far as the followers of Rajneesh are concerned.
      March 2, 2018 1:57 PM MST