Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Christians, did you give up anything for Lint?

Christians, did you give up anything for Lint?

Posted - March 1, 2018

Responses

Why do you assume that I cannot differentiate between the truth and fiction?

And why do you think that the Quran contains the complete truth about God?

I am not required to agree with everything the Quran teaches.

(Neither do you, for that matter---which makes me think that it is possible that one day you may come to understand the trinity.)

March 5, 2018 12:34 PM MST

"Why do you assume that I cannot differentiate between the truth and fiction?" >>> is the exact same question that a devotee of Rajneesh might ask you.

"one day you may come to understand the trinity." >>> If I do then I'd be the first human ever to do so. Great minds have for many centuries tried to understand the trinity and having miserably failed have resorted to calling it a divine mystery.

"I am not required to agree with everything the Quran teaches." >>> How did the Qur'an [HQ] get into the discussion. The Bible is sufficient to show that neither Moses nor Jesus taught about the trinity. Anyway, your feeling that you're "not required to agree with everything the Quran teaches" is fine. It's reasonable and understandable. Start by agreeing with that which makes obvious sense.

"And why do you think that the Quran contains the complete truth about God?" >>> The HQ does not need to contain the complete truth about God. It needs to contain the truths that we need to know, the truths that are within the boundaries of our understanding. If the universe has a creator, then God is its creator. As the creator of all humanity He loves all humanity and wants the best for all humanity. He sent guides to all humanity with the same essential message, that He is the creator and the all-knowing and that for their salvation here and in the hereafter people should do God's will as explained and exemplified by the guides sent to them, and should not follow their own whims and desires. These guides were sent to all peoples, in all ages and in all parts of the world and include great personalities like Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus. If God exists, then the above is nothing but good, obvious common sense.
      March 5, 2018 2:47 PM MST

What does that have to do with lint?
      March 1, 2018 4:11 PM MST

Yes. Christ.
      March 1, 2018 1:00 PM MST

No---there is no reason for such a trade-off.

I have access to all the "Lint" I need from my dryer. 
      March 1, 2018 2:01 PM MST

Nope. The lint filter in my washer doesn't work properly, so I'm not giving up my clothes brush.
      March 1, 2018 4:08 PM MST

Why do peeps take my stupid questions seriously?
      March 1, 2018 4:12 PM MST

You think that's a serious answer?
      March 1, 2018 4:20 PM MST

No...you understand my humour. Others above haven't caught on. You and I are punny.
      March 1, 2018 4:24 PM MST

Because there might just be a tiny Element of truth in what you say........ I'd like two point out.....and in many respects they do !!!!    :)D
      March 1, 2018 4:23 PM MST

I knowed it was a yoke when I first typed in lint and found out lent was the Easter thingy. Knowing you and the lint kepped me from answering. 
      March 1, 2018 6:22 PM MST

I'd give up smoking.  Lint makes me cough.
      March 1, 2018 4:41 PM MST

Lent
      March 1, 2018 9:22 PM MST

Lent is not a bible based practice, but rather a false Catholic tradition and doctrine. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at March 2, 2018 11:18 PM MST
      March 1, 2018 9:46 PM MST

A tradition of any sort either exists or does not. 

It is not subject to being judged either false or true.

Christ established a church to allow God to continue to reveal further "good" that can help all men.

Like many, you apparently reject His continued interaction with His creation.

Good fathers continue to interact with their children.

Do you not think that God is as least as good as a human father?
      March 5, 2018 12:18 PM MST

When traditions contradict the scriptures, they are deemed as false. Jesus Christ spoke of this, and his disciples, specifically his apostles warned the newly established congregations to be vigilant of of those that would introduce false teachings and doctrines that violated and contradicted the sacred teachings. (Matthew 15:7-9; 1timothy 4:1-3) i know Christ established the Christian congregation of the first century, not the Catholic church.
      March 5, 2018 10:15 PM MST

When traditions contradict the scriptures, they are deemed as false. Jesus Christ spoke of this, and his disciples, specifically his apostles warned the newly established congregations to be vigilant of of those that would introduce false teachings and doctrines that violated and contradicted the sacred teachings. (Matthew 15:7-9; 1timothy 4:1-3) i know Christ established the Christian congregation of the first century, not the Catholic church.
      March 5, 2018 10:15 PM MST

I'll quote the scriptures cited by AL so you can see what they say and perhaps add another:
    (Matthew 15:7-9) You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: 8 ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”
    (1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.

(Mark 7:13) Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”

You do know that the Bible speaks of 'Congregations' rather than 'Churches' right? Of course some prefer to hold to tradition when having their versions translated. Fifteen Rules imposed by King James - King James's 3rd rule (3) The old ecclesiastical words to be kept, viz.: as the word ‘Church’ not to be translated ‘Congregation’ like Tyndale did. Bishop to be used rather than Elder.

Ecclesia - Ekklesia speaks of an assembly of people, not a building.

[the Greek term ek·kle·siʹa. It comes from two Greek words, ek, meaning “out,” and ka·leʹo, meaning “to call.” It refers to a group of people summoned or called together for a particular purpose or activity.]
      March 13, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

Well you are going to get lint pretty automatically so not necessary to give anything up.  Not sure what being a Christian has to do with it. 
      March 2, 2018 6:20 AM MST

Q "Christians, did you give up anything for Lint?"

Christians need make no sacrifices for lint. There's plenty here which they can have for free.
      March 2, 2018 11:02 AM MST

I gave up Lent for it.

And, besides, I give up all the time - -  I'm an All-Seasons Giver Up-per, ha!
    :)
      March 2, 2018 11:37 AM MST