Discussion » Questions » Recreation » What was the first vacation (or holiday) of three days or more that you ever took? ~

What was the first vacation (or holiday) of three days or more that you ever took? ~

NOTE: The superfluous word “ever” was intentionally added just to irk Stu.
~

Posted - March 2, 2018

Responses

• It was probably a visit to our vacation home in Tahoe. I was apparently brought there as an infant, so that was probably the first extended vacation. The first one out of California was to Hawaii (which I have no memory of) and then to Australia for a business trip of my dad's (which I remember only a few small snippets of). 
      March 2, 2018 10:14 AM MST

What can I say? It's a Wisconsin thing. I don't even watch football, but I was raised to be a Packer fan. 
      March 2, 2018 1:02 PM MST

December 11, 2022 8:54 PM MST

My family went to Sand Lake in the Michigan Irish Hills. We rented a cottage and usually stayed 5 days. I was about 11 when we went the first time. This post was edited by Element 99 at April 27, 2018 9:44 PM MDT
      March 2, 2018 1:44 PM MST

December 11, 2022 8:54 PM MST

Even though we had little money, my mother and aunt saved and every couple of years we went to the beach and it was pure heaven.  We stayed in a little cottage that had a kitchen so we didn't have to eat out.  We just played hard all day at the beach and they had a pool which was our most favorite thing in the whole world.   At night we played on a huge playground that belonged to the group of cottages.  One night while we were there we went to the amusement area and rode a couple of rides and sometimes played carpet golf on a second night time excursion.   I stayed in those cottages as an adult until they finally sold out to a condo developer.  I took my own kids and stayed there.  My kids loved it as much as I did as a child (however, it did have AC by then).    I drove through there about two years ago and those condos never got  built.  
      March 2, 2018 3:00 PM MST

December 11, 2022 8:53 PM MST

• Two years before, my family flew to Arizona from the East Coast to setup a new home and now we are driving back to visit the relatives we left behind. I was seven years old.
      April 26, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

Brisbane. I have no memory of it, it was just before my first birthday.

The earliest I have any memory of? I was four. Katoomba. First time I saw snow. Not a lot of it.
      April 27, 2018 12:54 AM MDT

December 11, 2022 8:51 PM MST

When I was about 18, two friends and I went to NYC. I can't remember how long we stayed. We left when our money ran out. It was at least three days. And, I remember when the last dollar left our hands. We went to the Metropole Cafe for a light supper and to enjoy Woody Herman's band until the bill came. I gave the waiter my (our) last $20 bill and when he returned, he whispered something to my friend, she responded and he left (with our change). He had asked if the change was his tip, the music was so loud she didn't really hear him and just nodded. 

Now this story may have some people scratching their heads. $20 for an evening at the Metropole? Yes, that's how far money would go in the 60s. Today, you would have to tell the story using "last couple of $100 bills".

I found this video from right around the time of that "vacation".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9GuqG2HleU
    This post was edited by NYAD at December 12, 2022 8:42 AM MST
      December 12, 2022 8:08 AM MST

December 12, 2022 8:57 AM MST