Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you remember your passwords, write them down somewhere, or record them in a code you understand but no one else is likely to?

Do you remember your passwords, write them down somewhere, or record them in a code you understand but no one else is likely to?

In my own case it is a combination of options one and three. Some passwords demand inconvenient (but probably quite efficient) criteria. Must be so many characters, must be a combination of letters and numbers, must be between so many and so many characters, must include an extended set character, must include at least one capital and one lower case, and various combinations of these. 

Posted - March 4, 2018

Responses

I have no passwords written down anywhere - not even in the safest possible place (there is always a chance of someone hidden in an adjacent cubicle with a mirror who can read backwards). Many passwords I confidently consign to the brain-box, others (generally those used least frequently), are encoded in the most devious, cryptic manner.
      March 4, 2018 3:03 PM MST

I usually remember them. Some I note in code, especially infrequently accessed sites. Occasionally I fail to decypher them and have to reset the password. 
      March 4, 2018 4:22 PM MST

• I usually click Forgot Password until the next time. :P
      March 4, 2018 4:22 PM MST

I use the same password for everything unless it's important like my bank account, then I use a strong password which I have written in a notebook.

I tried using passwords for everything once which is why I'll never have access to my Yahoo account again.

A strong password is a password that contains a mix of capital letters, lower-case letters, numbers, symbols and it's a password you'll never be able type the same way twice causing you to get locked out of your account.
      March 4, 2018 5:29 PM MST

I have written the down on index cards in my home office. Nobody has access to them and my wife doesn't know how to use my computer. They are nonsense words that cannot be hacked.
      March 4, 2018 5:57 PM MST

I made up my own alphabet and numbers because I'm a dweeb. I actually made those for my journal, but now I mostly use it for my password book.
      March 4, 2018 6:42 PM MST

I can't believe it! You're trying to guess my passwords again, aren't you?  Nice try, but no dice. I'm onto your trickery. 

~
      March 5, 2018 6:16 AM MST

Hmm, let's see.

Let me in!

That's not it.

Let me in!~

Cool!  I'm in Randy's account!

Maybe I need to leave before he catches me here.

March 6, 2018 2:59 AM MST

You again! Now you're hacking into my account, I see!  That's it!  I'm going to have change my password to something you'll never guess. Give me a minute, give me a minute, er, um, okay, I've got it! getlivvieifitisthelastthingieverdoinlife
    So there!  Grrrrrrrrrrr!

~
      March 6, 2018 5:41 AM MST