Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Why does Amazon remove movies from included with subscription after u have watched part of it so u will have to rent the movie to finish it?

Why does Amazon remove movies from included with subscription after u have watched part of it so u will have to rent the movie to finish it?

Posted - March 5, 2018

Responses

I have a similar situation. 
    I "own" a few video's that I bought from Amazon, which I can no longer watch ... because Amazon doesn't allow download to computer, and who has enough memory on their other devices to download all their movies?!?

Anyway, I called Amazon about it ... and they said that, even though I bought the video (not rented) the owner of the rights no longer has a contract with Amazon.  So Amazon can no longer sell/rent the videos.  

I don't see how they can legally deny me the right to watch a video I OWN .. just because it is stored on their server and they don't have the right to sell/rent it anymore.  They should at least allow me the opportunity to download it to my PC, if they can't show it from their server.

But there you have it.  That's what they do.

Lesson learned:  No longer buy videos from Amazon.
      March 5, 2018 8:37 AM MST

As you indicate with the quotes, "owning" a video like that is descriptive rather than accurate.

What you have bought is the right to play a video that you have downloaded as long as Amazon (or whatever site you use) has the authority to extend those rights to you.

Amazon cannot grant you rights that it no longer possesses.

March 5, 2018 1:25 PM MST

But if I did download the video to my device ... I would still be able to play it.  Same as if I bought a CD version.  (the electronic version costs the same as a CD, btw)

So what Amazon is saying is: Because WE can no longer sell the movie, we aren't going to let YOU watch it ... even though we make it impossible for you to download it to any device with enough storage for your movie collection.

Or maybe they're saying:  To store the collection of movies you buy from us, you have to purchase enough micro-cards to store them all.  (and hope you don't lose any of them)

But as I said ... Lesson Learned.
    Now I buy all my videos elsewhere, where I can download/store them on my PC.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at March 5, 2018 1:57 PM MST
      March 5, 2018 1:56 PM MST

This concept has apparently been adjudicated:   

Sorry that I don't remember the details, but someone in the last 5 or so years went to court because some music provider refused to let him transfer "ownership" of all his downloaded songs to someone else.

He lost.

March 5, 2018 2:00 PM MST

Just make sure, the first time you download a movie to your handheld device. to immediately transfer it to the hard drive on your PC. Plenty of space there for your movie collection.
      March 5, 2018 7:34 PM MST

It may be part of the entrenched culture of deception permeating the great, grasping, shameless swamp of trade and finance, not to mention government, news media, and the Internet. The pervading cultural norms have come to allow it, encourage it even.
    We must learn to live with it and until proven otherwise, avoid its worst excesses by assuming there to be some ulterior motive in anything and everything tarted up and misrepresented for sale to we irredeemable gullible.

March 5, 2018 8:45 AM MST

In other words, Caveat Emptor
      March 5, 2018 1:19 PM MST

WTF are you talking about.
      March 5, 2018 6:47 PM MST

Because their ambitious growth plans cost a lot of money to start up.
      March 5, 2018 7:27 PM MST

Do not rent from Amazon.  Simple.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 5, 2018 7:56 PM MST
      March 5, 2018 7:53 PM MST

Uhh... so you will have to rent the movie to finish it.  To GET THE MONEY.  That's how you win in business.
      March 5, 2018 8:38 PM MST

Amazon has an absolutely lousy reputation for refusing to deliver streaming materials according to contract. For instance, if Amazon has a squabble with a publisher, they will refuse to deliver that publisher's works even though you have bought them. They also refuse to refund your money.

I don't understand why people keep falling for that scheme.
      March 6, 2018 4:12 AM MST

I have never had an issue with Amazon. 
      March 6, 2018 5:39 AM MST

Neither have I, but I have never bought Kindle or Prime. That's where the breaches of contract happen.
      March 6, 2018 11:59 AM MST

I have Amazon Prime. I also have Amazon FireStick. My granddaughter has a Amazon Fire for kids also linked to my account. No problems at all.
      March 6, 2018 1:10 PM MST