Discussion » Questions » Education » Maybe we should just abolish schools? Just have people home schooled and if you cannot do it, you don't get to procreate?

Maybe we should just abolish schools? Just have people home schooled and if you cannot do it, you don't get to procreate?

Posted - March 8, 2018

Responses

• Wouldn't be any worse than the unwilling not teaching them because they're on strike.
      March 8, 2018 10:59 AM MST

This is true.  The few home schooling mothers I ever knew were religious fanatics that homeschooled to "protect" their kid from the real world.  Some of these people were nuts and I felt sorry for their kids.  

I do think there are definite pros and cons to homeschooling.  I always had to work to earn a living when my kids were growing up, so it would have never been an option for me.
      March 8, 2018 11:04 AM MST

Some parents are more qualified then the teachers in schools.
    Many kids come out of school not learning much of anything except how to use a cell phone.
      March 8, 2018 11:12 AM MST

Oh yeah. I forgot about THAT point. 
      March 8, 2018 11:21 AM MST

My son had teachers who would send all his work home for us to help him with instead of making him do it in the class room.
    I was pretty much home schooling him then. I should have been drawing that paycheck instead of them.
      March 8, 2018 11:31 AM MST

• Just makes me want to run out, grab a picket sign, and advocate public teacher raises when they won't even teach kids to sign their names with a pen.  -__- This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 8, 2018 11:25 AM MST
      March 8, 2018 11:25 AM MST

• Might as well home school kids, public school teachers are too greedy to even go to work, let alone put any effort into actually teaching.  That's why we're 14th in the world education-wise, and 2nd in ignorance.
      March 8, 2018 10:48 AM MST

Generally, education wise ... Home school > Private school > public school

Generally, cost wise (per student) ... Home school < private school < public school
    (at least in WA and OR)

And yet, public school supporters keep claiming they need more money ... when they produce the worst results for the most money.
    Perhaps the government should stop trying to reinvent the school system every 4 years - and copy what we KNOW is working in other countries.
      March 8, 2018 10:56 AM MST

• yep
      March 8, 2018 10:58 AM MST

I like it. 
      March 8, 2018 11:35 AM MST

Maybe we should stop coddling criminality and take aggressive language, behavior and threats seriously. Lives depend on it.
      March 8, 2018 9:17 PM MST

My wife was a teacher so we home schooled so your kids would not grow up thinking that learning was just something grownups made them do.  It can be fun and interesting too if you get to learn about things you want to understand.
      March 9, 2018 10:17 PM MST