Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Have you ever met a professional athlete? Major teams only.

Have you ever met a professional athlete? Major teams only.

Posted - March 8, 2018

Responses

Yes!  Got an autograph from a Stanley cup defenseman in the day.  I could barely talk meeting him.  I was a young teen.  
      March 8, 2018 10:33 AM MST

I met Jimmy Jackson...a hometown hero who went on to the NBA as a journeyman player. Dallas Green...a former MLB player and GM for 'Da Bears'. I had a student who made it to the NFL and another who won a silver Olympic medal for the high jump and was on the professional track and field circuit. He is now a track coach at Kansas State, his Alma Mater.
      March 8, 2018 10:41 AM MST

It IS fun to meet an athlete you have been following.  We were big hockey nuts in the day and our team won the cup in the mid seventies.  We looked at these guys like they were movie starts, whether they still had their teeth or not.  Hahahaha.  
      March 8, 2018 10:43 AM MST

Yeah, when the Bears were big in Chicago in the late 70's, I think or later.  Maybe the early 80's.  I was drinking all the time.  Day and night, so I don't remember much, but I remember that my sister-in-law, who was a former Playboy Bunny candidate, got an invite in a limo from the players and I went along.

I don't remember the whole day.  I remember going to the game in a limo, drinking all day and going to some bar afterwards.   I don't remember who was there, but it was during the time the Fridge and Mike Ditka were around.  I'm sure they were not at this bar, but some big names were there.  I forget now. 

I am not a big sports fan, but I was a big bar fan back then.

Oh yeah, Jim McMahon was there.  Now I remember.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 8, 2018 10:45 AM MST
      March 8, 2018 10:41 AM MST

They won the Superbowl in 1985. Best defense ever.
      March 8, 2018 10:47 AM MST

Okay.  I was 34.  That makes sense.  I was drinking up a storm.  Sad but true. 
      March 8, 2018 10:49 AM MST

And I was at the Naval Base 30 miles north.
      March 8, 2018 10:50 AM MST

I used to take care of the flower beds  for a guy that  was a star defensive  tackler for the Ruff Riders.  I had seen a lot of the games he played in and it always blew my mind to see a giant of a man  gently pick up a flower and take it down to his wife. Cheers!
      March 8, 2018 11:06 AM MST

All the time. I live in Florida, a few miles from about a dozen MLB training camps. The players crowd our local golf courses, shopping areas and eateries during spring training. 

A lot of pro ballers own or lease yachts, the waters down here are paradise for boating. I of course am an avid boater. Though I’ve never met him, Derek Jeter's palace is a short cruise from here. This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 9, 2018 7:46 AM MST
      March 8, 2018 3:16 PM MST

I have.
      March 8, 2018 3:29 PM MST

A player for the Minn Twins. He came to my school in earlier 1980s. He is from my home town. 
      March 8, 2018 5:11 PM MST

• "Yes" ... Professional Racing Athletes

Drag Racing:  Terry Vance, John Force & Don Garlits

Road Racing:  Gene Romero, Don Vesco & Kenny Roberts

August 17, 2018 3:08 PM MDT