Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Business » Mattel is putting out Heroic Women Dolls of all ethnicity, but no chubby dolls. Forget about FAT dolls. Are there no heroic women of size?

Mattel is putting out Heroic Women Dolls of all ethnicity, but no chubby dolls. Forget about FAT dolls. Are there no heroic women of size?

Posted - March 9, 2018

Responses

How about the she-hulk- The wee redhead in front is her in her civilian form. The large green gal is her while superheroing
      March 9, 2018 5:53 PM MST

No, JakobA.  You see, that is exactly the opposite of the point I am trying to make here.  

Mattel is putting out dolls that are images of real women heroes.   Not superheroes and certainly not busty perfectly built sexy dolls.   That is all we have right now on the store shelves.   We have the ideal female doll that is appealing to what a man wants, not what women really are like.

Oprah Winfrey would be one of he dolls they might make; but they won't make her actually her real size, which is NOT a Dolly Parton body.   So, to me, that is not honoring anything.    That is trying to look pretty according to what supposedly gives men boners.   Putting Oprah's head on a Barbie Doll body is saying Oprah is not good enough looking to be her own doll.

So we need chubby dolls too.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 9, 2018 6:09 PM MST
      March 9, 2018 6:05 PM MST

But for rel Fatties you need to look at the super villains

Afteralll teen boys need something not too gross to dream about.
      March 9, 2018 6:06 PM MST

Wow that is a plus plus etc. sized model. 

I want a doll of her.   She would be beautiful.

March 9, 2018 8:39 PM MST

• "Fat Barbie and Other Liberal Toy Oddities"

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 9, 2018 8:40 PM MST
      March 9, 2018 6:06 PM MST

Wow.  When you finally do come through, you deliver.

March 9, 2018 8:41 PM MST

• And it's rare someone actually succeeds in making me laugh hard enough to shed tears.  You succeeded. ;D
      March 10, 2018 5:20 AM MST

• they would have to use more plastic and thus be more expensive 

the fats would have a MELTDOWN 

its better for business to just  avoid it 
      March 9, 2018 6:10 PM MST

The fats are used to paying more for their size.  The clothes, the food.  Don't get me started.  (I spent a decade being a fat, so not judging)

March 9, 2018 8:44 PM MST

Toys often reflect fantasy not reality and suggesting fat to be equivalent to ethnicity sends the Luciferian message that anyone not one of his children is in the same class as the unfit.
      March 9, 2018 6:11 PM MST

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

March 9, 2018 8:48 PM MST

Why? Who wants a fat doll?
      March 9, 2018 6:17 PM MST

I'd like one, please, sir.

They are fun to dress.  I mean these are great?  But I'd like more variety.  Like reality.   There are beautiful big people too.  And not all dolls have to be conventionally beautiful.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 9, 2018 8:54 PM MST
      March 9, 2018 8:52 PM MST

I would've loved a fat doll when I was little. I just liked having a variety of different kinds of dolls, I was always excited to find different ethnicities too. I didn't want to have a whole army of clones.
      March 9, 2018 7:05 PM MST

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 9, 2018 9:01 PM MST
      March 9, 2018 8:57 PM MST

I could not fit this response in that 1st answer to you.  (The one with the three dolls). 

Anyway, I agree.  I would love a variety, and it would be fun to design them.   I would love to make some cool fat dolls with great plus-sized clothes because they would $ell.  Especially if you came up with good hair and wardrobe.   These are stylized skinnies.   We could do stylized fatties.

Toys R Us here we come.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 9, 2018 9:10 PM MST
      March 9, 2018 9:03 PM MST

Is she fat or is she slim? Only her ultrasound scan knows for sure.
      March 10, 2018 12:54 AM MST

Strangely, what we called 'dolls' 60 years ago was practically always fat.
      March 10, 2018 1:02 AM MST

Now this. It's about a doll.

March 10, 2018 2:50 AM MST

I noticed that too!!!

I didn't mentally put it in the same context you did, but I was looking at all the new Barbies and I seriously wondered if all the women they created dolls of really had the traditional "Barbie body." The one that I caught first off that got me thinking was the Frida Kahlo doll because she has the perfect Barbie face and no unibrow. How is that celebrating women? To give these women a Barbie makeover and display them as if they were flawless? Heck no! These were REAL women who had the bodies and faces of REAL women. They may have been fearless leaders, but they were remarkably human. To make them look like traditional Barbies is garbage. Shame on Mattel. 
      March 11, 2018 3:52 PM MDT

There certainly are.  But perhaps there is just no money to be made selling dolls of them.
      March 11, 2018 4:06 PM MDT