Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » can anything bad happen to me if i take melatonin

can anything bad happen to me if i take melatonin

I got some like four months ago but taking pills gives me anxiety 

Posted - March 9, 2018

Responses

Sometimes known to cause a person to have weird dreams. 
      March 9, 2018 11:43 PM MST

Have you thought about finding a hobby?  Something that has nothing to do with your appearance, your pills, and any mental health issues.  Focus on creating something or helping someone else.  Whaddayathink?
      March 10, 2018 1:19 AM MST

• I like to spend time outside but the weather is so whacky lately it’s nearly impossible to get outdoors and do anything. I should move out of the north east. 
      March 10, 2018 9:13 AM MST

sure, people who take melatonin fall of bridges just as often as people who dont.
      March 10, 2018 1:34 AM MST

You create your own melatonin in your pineal gland in your brain. It is harmless in normal doses and safe to ingest. It can actually reduce your anxiety and also is a natural sleep aid. As JakobA said though lots of bad things can still happen. Look both ways before crossing.
      March 10, 2018 7:17 AM MST

Start with a very small dose (think micrograms, not milligrams). For some reason, manufacturers make very high dose tablets, as high as 10 milligrams, and it's rarely indicated or recommended. As Kittigate said, watch out for strange dreams and nightmares, and also for mood changes. 

https://sleep.org/articles/how-much-melatonin-to-take/
      March 10, 2018 8:10 AM MST

If taking pills gives you anxiety - DON'T TAKE THEM.  Very simple or do you just like to be cloaked in drama every moment of the day?
      March 10, 2018 8:59 AM MST

• Do you like to be rude and condescending every moment of the day, or do you just come here to roleplay as a bad ass to satiate your narcissistic ego as everyone pats you on the back for “telling it like it is ehehehe” even though really it just seems like you’re angry and bitter. 
      March 10, 2018 9:11 AM MST

You call it rude and condescending, I call it being honest.  You're always complaining about something or over-sharing your personal issues.  Do you view this site as inexpensive therapy sessions?  I'm not angry and bitter - far from it.  It's unfortunate that we can't block people whose questions we don't want to see. 
      March 10, 2018 9:15 AM MST

• Or you could just ignore it and move on with your life if you don’t like it. 

Its funny how how much you act like the millennials you think are insufferable. Would you like me to add trigger warnings on my posts for you? 
      March 10, 2018 9:27 AM MST

Or, you could just find something to occupy your mind with besides yourself and your problems and your pills and your anxiety and your host of other issues and post something enlightening or interesting for a change.
      March 10, 2018 9:39 AM MST

• Please point me in the direction of your constructive and life changing content here. 
      March 10, 2018 9:44 AM MST

Look for it yourself.  You don't seem to have anything else to do. 
      March 10, 2018 9:46 AM MST

• No thanks. I’ve seen enough of your bitter old lady word vomit. All those years of “experience“ and you still act like a middle school girl. 
      March 10, 2018 9:49 AM MST

• The only thing I ever see you do here is put others down under the guise of honesty like you are actually doing some sort of good. 
      March 10, 2018 9:46 AM MST

I think you can.
      March 10, 2018 9:38 AM MST

I don't think so.  If that is possible, please let me know how to do it.  Thanks.
      March 10, 2018 9:40 AM MST

OK...I'l ask JA.
      March 10, 2018 9:41 AM MST

Thanks. 
      March 10, 2018 9:44 AM MST

Why are you experimenting with any pills?

I know they are very mild and just a cow hormone (really)   But there are many brand names and some are better than others.  I have taken Melatonin and felt nothing after wards.  Other brands have made me nervous the next day.  But  it is meant to cause your sleeping rhythms to balance out and allow for you to sleep at the same time.

My daughter is bi-polar, takes meds and Melatonin does not do a thing for her.  So, it depends on the brand and it depends on what else you are taking and mostly it depends on your body system and how it operates.

If you are on any meds, it may interfere and not allow the pill to work.

I would consult with a doctor before I would experiment.  For the average person, it has no side-effects.

From the web:
    Melatonin is POSSIBLY SAFE when used by mouth appropriately, long-term. Melatonin has been used safely for up to 2 years in some people. However, it can cause some side effects including headache, short-term feelings of depression, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 10, 2018 9:39 AM MST
      March 10, 2018 9:04 AM MST

• I don’t take any medications so I’m not worried about interference. 
    My job is a desk job that I just started and I think the lack of physical activity is keeping me awake at night, so I’m just looking for something to help. 

Or i Just might quit my job it sucks. 
      March 10, 2018 9:19 AM MST

I'm assuming this is Amber.  LOL

I talked to you last year on chat and you hated that job.  I hear (from reading you on here) that you have gotten married.  CONGRATULATIONS.

I am wondering if you are still at that same job you hated when we last spoke.

I have had SO many jobs I have hated in my life, I cannot count them all.   I think maybe the lack of physical activity may be keeping you more restless, but maybe you need to get out more.

I think you used to like to dance and stuff (or maybe I am just thinking of me at your age)

You need to wear yourself out more maybe.  I know it is SO hard to exercise, especially when you are working all week and maybe not feeling so well a lot of days.

I feel pretty good and I hate the discipline of having to go to a gym and the gym is 5 minutes away and I have a car.  SO I AM NOT JUDGING.  I am trying to see if we can figure out something you like to do to solve this, since you are usually receptive to trying things out.
      March 10, 2018 9:23 AM MST

Fortunately, many brands are synthetic and aren't made from cow brains. :)
      March 11, 2018 6:35 PM MDT