Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Which sect of Islam is known as the Religion of Peace? Are Sunni peaceful or Shia or some other sect?

Which sect of Islam is known as the Religion of Peace? Are Sunni peaceful or Shia or some other sect?

I've heard some refer to Islam as the Religion of Peace.

Posted - March 10, 2018

Responses

"JW's do not kill their own or anyone else. If they did, they would be removed from the congregation..."

That would be my point. Most Muslims don't think the violent ones are part of their faith either. I had hoped you'd see the parallel. It wasn't a "jab." 

"Some are to busy attacking the Bible and Paul in other threads year after year answerbag and answermug."
    lol Find me a Muslim here who has attacked anyone. I dare you. As far as I know, we have only had three here in all this site's existence. All were wonderful men who refused to engage in any kind of religious debate because they didn't see a point in fighting with anyone, especially those who were already close-minded and gunning for them based on preconceived notions about their religion. 
      March 11, 2018 4:56 PM MDT

Quote: "refused to engage in any kind of religious debate"
    In some threads perhaps but more than once one has quoted 1 Pet 3:15 saying that I am commanded to engage him. Ask him about that.
    (1 Peter 3:15) But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason for the hope you have, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect.

Ask them if one of them has recently taunted that the Bible is similar to "the book of Nostradamus. Its fans interpret it the way they want to and then marvel at how accurate its prophecies are."

Ask them if they have been making post like that the Bible has been changed and is unreliable where as the Quran has not.

Ask them if they have been making post that the Bible is open to every and any interpretation while pointing to all the different Christian sects as proof.

Ask them if they have said that Christians don't follow Christ but only follow Paul who had is own gospel in opposition to Christ.

Ask them if they make more post about the Bible than they do the Quran and if they are honestly trying to put the Bible in a good light or as tainted.

I am not as clever in my post and wording as I am a simple man and generally just get to the point where as his post are cleverly disguised as being just curious or something as harmless but his intentions over the last 7 - 10 years I have been conversing with him are clear.
      March 11, 2018 5:17 PM MDT

I wasn't aware we presently had any Muslim members, and I'm still not certain we do. However, I'd rather not talk about others and will humbly concede that there is a possibility you're correct that we do have one and he does debate with you. That's not really related to the question at hand, which I believe I answered and will let the rest be.

With that said, I'll see myself out of this discussion and head back to where all the other godless heathens hang out. It's more peaceful there. And we have cookies. 
      March 11, 2018 10:23 PM MDT

CLURT is. Not sure about anyone else. He and I had quite the discussion on AM a few years back over a stupidly anti-Islamic question "why Muslims worship the moon god Allah" - I got admins' pick for the obvious answer that they DON'T, supplying the etymology (the Arabic name Allah is derived from the Aramaic Eloi, as us the Hebrew El. Both languages share the same root, indeed both races claim descent from Abraham - the Hebrews through Isaac, the Arabs through Ishmael). Our chat was over the meaning of the crescent symbol in so much of the Islamic world. I'm still of the opinion that it has nothing to do with the moon ("worship not the sun or moon", HQ 41:37) but a stylised scimitar, recalling that which hung behind the throne during the height of the Ottoman Empire. It had no banner, instead a naked scimitar was displayed as a symbol of the authority and power of the Caliph.
      March 11, 2018 11:04 PM MDT

"However, I'd rather not talk about others..." 
    I intentionally didn't name names because of the context of this discussion. 
      March 11, 2018 11:11 PM MDT

Just so you are aware that we definitely do have at least one Muslim member. There could be others, either not mentioning it or practising taqiyya.
      March 11, 2018 11:29 PM MDT

Don't know but would guess that is an ideal as it would be for any number of religions. 
      March 11, 2018 3:48 PM MDT

• Is any religion really peaceful. Lets stop kidding ourselves. 
      March 11, 2018 10:29 PM MDT

The ones without people maybe.

Praying Mantis. 

March 11, 2018 10:36 PM MDT

Neither. Muhammad got the "eye for eye, tooth for tooth" bit in spades. "Jihad" is by definition a DEfensive war, but if they come onto your turf,  you can clobber them.

I'd like to say Christianity is a religion of peace, but it's top-heavy with hypocrites who completely ignore Jesus' dictum of turning the other cheek. Mohandas K Gandhi got it dead right, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

Zen Buddhism is probably closest. Its monks immolate THEMSELVES in protest, but never harm others.
      March 11, 2018 10:49 PM MDT

I obviously get irritated at the hypocrisy and unreasonableness of a certain AB member that makes cleverly veiled attacks against Paul and the Bible but do not condone any violence against anyone. Are you not familiar with Myanmar?
      March 12, 2018 7:16 AM MDT

what you call "attacks against Paul and the Bible" are no more than commonly known scholarly facts readily verifiable from respectable sites. They do not come from any anti-Christian sites and are not insulting or abusive of, or disrespectful or offensive towards anyone . Your crying wolf or screaming blue murder and posting insulting and offensive comments sometimes from anti Muslim sites whenever I post respectable researched facts or my preferred beliefs of the Biblical Jesus story is very strange. I have said this to you many times before if my posts get you fuming and wanting to insult then don't read them. 
      March 12, 2018 10:34 AM MDT

Islam teaches respect for all Biblical prophets including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus.

I have never posted any insulting or offensive remarks against any Bible character.

I do not support anti-Christian sites or post anything from such sites

I post my understanding of the Biblical Jesus story with backing from the Bible

Any Biblical facts I post can be readily verified from the work of respectable Bible scholars and researchers.

You can call my posts "attacks against Paul and the Bible" if you want to and post insulting and offensive comments some from hate sites. Perhaps all that is designed to stop me from posting what I said I do.

I have said this to you many times before if my posts get you fuming and wanting to insult then don't read them.

Sincere men of faith should show respect and should not act out of spite.

March 12, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

The Burmese aren't Zen. Buddhism has its sects the way Islam, Christianity and most other religions of sufficient size do - they split into quarreling factions. Not all of those who follow the teaching of Siddartha interpret him the same way. Shinto Buddhism certainly isn't peaceful, Samurai Japan under the Shoguns was based on it - they worshipped Buddha as a deity, something the other Buddhist sects didn't. It's also pantheistic.
      March 13, 2018 5:27 AM MDT

Q "Which sect of Islam is known as the Religion of Peace? Are Sunni peaceful or Shia or some other sect?
    I've heard some refer to Islam as the Religion of Peace."

A- Background to this question

This is for those who might not be aware of the background. Both this question and the next one by the same OP were posted in quick succession on Sat March 10, at 3:31 PM and 3:35 PM most probably as a retaliation following an exchange of posts with the OP on Fri March 10, at 7:14 PM which ran something like this:

Quote from an answer to a question about the Bible’s story of the creation: “One explanation of the discrepancy [between the Bible's story of creation and what we know so far about creation] is that the scribes, not understanding the inspired creation story, changed it to what they thought the creation story should say.”

Reaction by OP: “Another jab at the Bible?”

Response: “erm on the subject of scribes changing Biblical texts to what they thought the text should be saying please don't lash out at me, do so at the Bible scholars themselves. Here are just a few [3] examples from the NT

[for brevity I quote only example] 2. Dr Daniel B. Wallace, professor of New Testament Studies says, "Ancient scribes who copied the handwritten texts of the New Testament frequently changed the text intentionally. Although unintentional changes account for the vast majority of textual corruption, intentional alterations also account for thousands of corruptions. In some cases, to be sure, it does seem that the scribes were being malicious. But these instances are few and far between. The majority of the intentional changes to the text were done by scribes who either thought that the text they were copying had errors in it ..... Scribes also were prone to clarify what they thought the text meant. Sometimes they were right, sometimes they were wrong."”
    ------------------------------------------------------

B- Opportunity to express feelings

Anyway, retaliatory or not, such questions give both the OP and those who respond to the OP as well as those who award likes to posts, an opportunity to give expression to their feelings, be they of love, tolerance, deep hatred or any shade in between, on the subject under question.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

C- And so to the questions.

1. “Which sect of Islam is known as the Religion of Peace?” >>> There are two major sects of Islam, the minority Shia [short for Shiatu-Ali, meaning the faction of [the Prophet’s son-in-law] Ali] and the majority Sunni [short for Ahlal-Sunnati-waal-Jama’ah, meaning people of the way [of the Prophet] and consensus] Neither of them is known as a religion so the question of which one is the Religion of Peace doesn’t really arise.

2. “Are Sunni peaceful or Shia or some other sect?” >>> The vast majority of those who call themselves Sunni or Shia are peaceful.

3. “I've heard some refer to Islam as the Religion of Peace.” >>> At its core Islam promotes peace. It does that primarily through promoting the ideas that

3.1 all humans came from one pair of parents and are therefore one brother/sisterhood

3.2 God is the creator of all human beings, so loves all humans and sent His guides to all humans

3.3 salvation is not exclusive to faithful followers of Mohammed but belongs to all people, right back to Adam and Eve, who faithfully followed the guides God sent to them

3.4 all religions that came from God were Islam [an Arabic word with meanings of peace and an uncompromising preference for doing the will of God rather than following one’s own whims and desires]

3.5 efforts must be put into establishing justice in society [justice being a firm foundation for lasting peace]

3.6 people should frequently greet one another using the word “salaam” [meaning peace]

-------------------------------------------------

D- But doesn’t the HQ advocate violence?

Although not part of the OP it is reasonable to ask: “but doesn’t the Qur’an have verses advocating the public whipping of some people and the killing of others wherever they are found?” >>> Yes, of course, it’s plain to see that it does. Any people organised into a state finds it necessary to lay out rules of engagement in battle and rules on what it considers appropriate punishments for those who break its civil or criminal code. Muslims were no different. When they found themselves with responsibilities of state they had to have rules of engagement in battles [kill enemy soldiers wherever you encounter them for that is what they will do to you] and they had to have punishments defined for their penal code [whip the person who accuses a woman of adultery but fails to produce witnesses who can testify that they actually saw sexual penetration take place in the alleged act of adultery]. Mohammed lived under the laws of the Pagan city state of Mecca for the first 13 years of his 23 year ministry which started when he was 40. He moved to the nearby city state of Yathrib at age 53 after that state beseeched him to migrate there and govern it to bring peace between its quarrelling factions so that it could flourish and prosper. Mohammed achieved that despite having only ten more years to live. His growing success led to Yathrib being referred to as “The city of the Prophet” later shortened to just “City” or Medina, in Arabic. It is significant that the verses sanctioning the use of violence as a tool of the state were not revealed in Mecca but only after Mohammed became the ruler of Yathrib.

The above is factual but some may still regard it as an apologetic whitewash. Perhaps such might like to accept the assessment of a Jew instead, after all Muslims are often popularly portrayed as being bitter enemies of Jews.

March 12, 2018 2:25 AM MDT

I feel it's a legitimate question. Is there a peaceful Islamic religion? 

Every time you make a taunt against the Bible or Paul when the Quran does the same thing and I point out the hypocrisy, don't you say something like 'we are not discussing the Quran' or 'that doesn't change the truthfulness of what I said about the Bible'? For example, you complain something like that Jesus said that not a jot or tittle would ever pass away yet the Quran allows 100 lashes as if 40 wasn't harsh enough and then the Quran did away with 'the strict observance of the Sabbath and dietary laws that Jews were subject to'. Since you often at least make passive aggressive taunts against the Bible and Islam and the Quran are not relevant to the intent of your taunts, I thought we could discuss Islam or the Quran somewhere else but it seems to be offensive.

Is that one thread you referenced the only discussion we had?

Isn't it true that over at least the last 7 years you have done the above as well as the following?

More than once one you quoted 1 Pet 3:15 saying that I am commanded to engage you?
    (1 Peter 3:15) But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason for the hope you have, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect.

Haven't you recently taunted that the Bible is similar to "the book of Nostradamus. Its fans interpret it the way they want to and then marvel at how accurate its prophecies are"?

Haven't you been making post like that the Bible has been changed and is unreliable where as the Quran has not?

Haven't you been making post that the Bible is open to every and any interpretation while pointing to all the different Christian sects as proof?

Haven't you said something like that Christians don't follow Christ but only follow Paul who had is own gospel in opposition to Christ?

Isn't it true that you make more post about the Bible than you do the Quran?

Isn't it true that you are trying to put the Bible in as tainted rather than in a good light?

It seems that the Bible and Christianity is open to scrutiny and attack but to ask a question about the possibility of a peaceful Islamic religion is horrible.

Do you remember saying this:
    [
    • Anyway, the points I was making are:

1- When the Romans adopted Christianity they took the teachings of Paul, changed them to fit in with Pagan beliefs and festivals, convened councils to agree new doctrines and enforced the new faith called Christianity, which Jesus had never heard of, throughout their empire. 

2- All Protestant churches, including JWs, have inherited their teachings about Jesus from the Roman Catholics.

3- These teachings
      a- regard Jesus as God and the son of God,
      b- they teach that God was not capable of forgiving Adam,
      c- that God held every human baby guilty of Adam's sin,
      d- that a ransom had to be paid (who to, cannot be explained) 
      e- that God had to have a human sacrifice before he would forgive,
      f- that God offered his innocent son to be killed to free the "guilty",
      g- that inexplicably it was God who died,
      h- that inexplicably the dead God raised himself,
      i- that again inexplicably the raised God became the raised Jesus
      j- that Jesus (God) is sitting at the right hand side of God,
      k- that God was now able to forgive.

4- It is teachings like these, which Jesus himself never taught, that are turning thousands of rational people away from Christianity.

5- Many, including ex-Christians, see in Islam the pure original teachings about Jesus and arereturning to Jesus through Islam.]

CLURT

by CLURT on January 3rd, 2013

March 12, 2018 7:06 AM MDT

I have never posted any insulting or offensive remarks against any Bible character.
    I do not support anti Christian sites or post anything from such sites
    Any Biblical facts I post can be readily verified from the work of respectable Bible scholars and researchers.

Despite that you get infuriated at my posts call them "attacks against Paul and the Bible" and post insulting and offensive material from hate sites. Perhaps all that is designed to stop me from posting what I said I do.

I have said this to you many times before if my posts get you fuming and wanting to insult then don't read them. 
      March 12, 2018 10:55 AM MDT

Yet you seem to be offended by facts I post, yes? You post supposed facts to undermine the Bible and that is okay but when I post facts or even the simple question this thread is under and it is hate? Is asking which sect of Islam is peaceful really that offensive? A side note, I noticed in one of your comments you seem to throw ISIS under the but but in the same comment you seem to count their numbers in your almost 1.8 Billion Muslims or does that exclude them? Do ya'll excommunicate or disfellowship murderers or something?

https://www.muslimhope.com/AishaNine.htm

1. Sahih al-Bukhari 810-870 A.D. 256 A.H.

1a. "Narrated Hisham's father: Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married 'Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consummated that marriage when she was nine years old." Bukhari vol.5 book 58 ch.43 no.236 p.153.

1b. The same points are in Bukhari vol.5 book 58 ch.43 no.234 p.152.

1c. "Narrated 'Urwa: The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six year old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death). Bukhari vol.7 book 62 ch.60 no.88 p.65

1d. Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet was screening me with his Rida' (garment covering the upper part of the body) while I was looking at the Ethiopians who were playing in the courtyard of the mosque. (I continued watching) till I was satisfied. So you may deduce from this event how a little girl (who has not reached the age of puberty) who is eager to enjoy amusement should be treated in this respect. Bukhari vol.7 book 62 ch.115 no.163 p.119

1e. "Narrated 'Aisha: (the wife of the Prophet) I never remembered my parents believing in any religion other than the true religion (i.e. Islam), and (I don't remember) a single day passing without our being visited by Allah's Apostle in the morning and in the evening." Bukhari vol.5 book 58 ch.44 no.245 p.158. Therefore 'Aisha either was not born yet or else not very old or not born yet when her parents became Muslims. This is consistent with her being a child when her marriage with Mohammed was consummated.

March 12, 2018 7:22 PM MDT

With all due respects to you after hundreds of exchanges between you and me I have decided I do not want to engage with you any more. What I post tends to be too emotionally upsetting for you to handle and what you relentlessly and repeatedly post I sometimes find too exasperating for me.

If I choose to respond it will be because I have seen a question genuinely seeking clarification of my view of Jesus or the Bible or Islam.

Islam teaches respect for all Biblical prophets including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus.

I have never expressed any insulting or offensive remarks against any Bible character.

Any Biblical information I post can be readily verified from the work of respectable Bible scholars and researchers.

March 13, 2018 3:53 PM MDT

That's your summary of your opinion.

I think it is you that find it to emotionally upsetting for you to handle. Hundred of exchanges between me and you have had you posting negative things about the Bible being changed and unreliable and Paul preaching in opposition to Jesus. It's been exasperating for me to constantly give you other other verses and the context in defense of the Bible and Paul. I don't think anyone is overly considered with your view of Jesus or the Bible and you have refused to respond to questions about Islam. It's your opinion that making claims about Jesus not dying like he said he would which would make him a liar and your opinion that speaking against Paul is respectful but I see it different. Any understanding you have of the Bible is through Islamic interpretation and when the Bible contradicts that, you claim the Bible has been changed so the verse is suspect. I am sure that you do respect the supposed scholars and researchers that slam the Bible as it suits your agenda. Hundreds of exchanges with me defending the Bible and Paul and you get emotionally upset over two questions about Muhammad and Islam.

You couldn't name one peaceful Islamic religion? 

March 15, 2018 4:56 PM MDT

Quote: D- But doesn’t the HQ advocate violence?

Quran 8:12 [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Quran (9:5) - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captive and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them."

Quran 47:4 

Mohsin Khan: So, when you meet (in fight Jihad in Allah's Cause), those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly (on them, i.e. take them as captives). Thereafter (is the time) either for generosity (i.e. free them without ransom), or ransom (according to what benefits Islam), until the war lays down its burden. Thus [you are ordered by Allah to continue in carrying out Jihad against the disbelievers till they embrace Islam (i.e. are saved from the punishment in the Hell-fire) or at least come under your protection], but if it had been Allah's Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight), in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allah, He will never let their deeds be lost,

Arberry: When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks, then, when you have made wide slaughter among them, tie fast the bonds; then set them free, either by grace or ransom, till the war lays down its loads. So it shall be; and if God had willed, He would have avenged Himself upon them; but that He may try some of you by means of others. And those who are slain in the way of God, He will not send their works astray.

March 12, 2018 7:41 AM MDT

Islam teaches respect for all Biblical prophets including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus. Sincere men of faith show respect and do not act out of spite.
      March 12, 2018 11:03 AM MDT

So excluding Paul and the ones that said God's word endures forever as you constantly go around claiming it has been changed.

(Isaiah 40:6-8) Listen! Someone is saying: “Call out!” Another asks: “What should I call out?” “All flesh is green grass. All their loyal love is like the blossom of the field.  7 The green grass dries up, The blossom withers, Because the breath of Jehovah blows upon it. Surely the people are but green grass.  8 The green grass dries up, The blossom withers, But the word of our God endures forever.”
    (John 17:17) Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.
    (1 Peter 1:24, 25) For “all flesh is like grass, and all its glory is like a blossom of the field; the grass withers, and the flower falls off, 25 but the saying of Jehovah endures forever.” And this “saying” is the good news that was declared to you.
    (Romans 15:4) For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.

EDIT: I noticed you didn't respond to the verses I posted that seem to contradict your narration of peace in your previous post. This post was edited by texasescimo at March 12, 2018 7:23 PM MDT
      March 12, 2018 7:17 PM MDT

With all due respects to you after hundreds of exchanges between you and me I have decided I do not want to engage with you any more. What I post tends to be too emotionally upsetting for you to handle and what you post I sometimes find too exasperating for me.

If I choose to respond it will be because I have seen a question genuinely seeking clarification of my view of Jesus or the Bible or Islam.

I have never expressed any insulting or offensive remarks against any Bible character.

Any Biblical information I post can be readily verified from the work of respectable Bible scholars and researchers.

March 13, 2018 11:33 AM MDT

You have exhibited patience almost beyond human endurance.
      March 13, 2018 12:30 PM MDT