Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Did Muhammad really marry Aisha at age 6 and deflower her at age 9? If true, how almost two billion Muslims?

Did Muhammad really marry Aisha at age 6 and deflower her at age 9? If true, how almost two billion Muslims?

Posted - March 10, 2018

Responses

That's your summary of your opinion.

I think it is you that find it to emotionally upsetting for you to handle. Hundred of exchanges between me and you have had you posting negative things about the Bible being changed and unreliable and Paul preaching in opposition to Jesus. It's been exasperating for me to constantly give you other other verses and the context in defense of the Bible and Paul. I don't think anyone is overly considered with your view of Jesus or the Bible and you have refused to respond to questions about Islam. It's your opinion that making claims about Jesus not dying like he said he would which would make him a liar and your opinion that speaking against Paul is respectful but I see it different. Any understanding you have of the Bible is through Islamic interpretation and when the Bible contradicts that, you claim the Bible has been changed so the verse is suspect. I am sure that you do respect the supposed scholars and researchers that slam the Bible as it suits your agenda. Hundreds of exchanges with me defending the Bible and Paul and you get emotionally upset over two questions about Muhammad and Islam.

You couldn't name one peaceful Islamic religion? 
      March 15, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

I'm not Muslim but I can name a peaceful Islamic sect - Druze. The Druze don't proselytize, so they just stay out of everybody's way - often practising taqqiya so their Sunni and Shia neighbours will let them alone.
      March 16, 2018 5:17 PM MDT

Never heard of them. If that's true, I wonder why the person I was talking to didn't say that? They don't serve in the military in the countries they reside in? Likely persecuted and imprisoned for that if so.
    It appears they used to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druze

During the Crusades[edit]

It was during the period of Crusader rule in Syria (1099–1291) that the Druze first emerged into the full light of history in the Gharb region of the Chouf Mountains. As powerful warriors serving the Muslim rulers of Damascus against the Crusades, the Druze were given the task of keeping watch over the crusaders in the seaport of Beirut, with the aim of preventing them from making any encroachments inland. Subsequently, the Druze chiefs of the Gharb placed their considerable military experience at the disposal of the Mamluk rulers of Egypt (1250–1516); first, to assist them in putting an end to what remained of Crusader rule in coastal Syria, and later to help them safeguard the Syrian coast against Crusader retaliation by sea.[61]

EDIT: 

Civil War of 1860

Main article: 1860 Lebanon conflict

The Druzes and their Christian Maronite neighbors, who had thus far lived as religious communities on friendly terms, entered a period of social disturbance in 1840, which culminated in the civil war of 1860.[36][page needed]

After the Shehab dynasty converted to Christianity, the Druze community and feudal leaders came under attack from the regime with the collaboration of the Catholic Church, and the Druze lost most of their political and feudal powers. Also, the Druze formed an alliance with Britain and allowed Protestant missionaries to enter Mount Lebanon, creating tension between them and the Catholic Maronites.

The Maronite-Druze conflict in 1840–60 was an outgrowth of the Maronite Christian independence movement,[citation needed] directed against the Druze, Druze feudalism, and the Ottoman-Turks. The civil war was not therefore a religious war,[citation needed] except in Damascus, where it spread and where the vastly non-Druze population was anti-Christian.[citation needed] The movement culminated with the 1859–60 massacre and defeat of the Christians by the Druzes. The civil war of 1860 cost the Christians some ten thousand lives in DamascusZahléDeir al-QamarHasbaya, and other towns of Lebanon.

This post was edited by texasescimo at March 16, 2018 7:15 PM MDT
      March 16, 2018 7:13 PM MDT

The Maronites attacked the Druzes. The Druzes won. That's still not indicative of a violent sect, just one that is rather good at defending itself.
      March 17, 2018 4:20 AM MDT

So peaceful is relative to how they are treated. That's pretty good but not exactly what I was thinking. I think most religious people are peaceful if they feel they haven't been attacked therefore no need to retaliate. Guess I was thinking of Christian peace as described in the Christian Greek scriptures. That takes a lot of faith to practice though as seen in WWII Germany and other Countries where Christians were persecuted for not taking up arms and killing perceived enemies.

(Matthew 5:43-47) “You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?

(Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

(2 Corinthians 10:3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh.
      March 17, 2018 6:05 AM MDT

I have never seen anyone deny the ages....so sounds like it to me.
      March 15, 2018 6:01 PM MDT

Did Mary really marry Joseph the Carpenter when she was 10 and he was 90? 

Huh?

March 15, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

Unlikely she was  younger than 12, most likely around 15. He wouldn't have been more than 30,  they had children together after Yeshua and average lifespan back then was below 50.
      March 15, 2018 7:03 PM MDT

No, why, Did someone tell you that is what the Bible says? Obviously you haven't read it.
    Do you think it is alright for a grown man to have sex with a 9 year old little girl?

Christians eating pork and not following the Mosaic Law covenant is horrible but marrying having little girl wives is okay? I never saw you comment all of the times a certain AM member complained about Paul and the Bible but this has you in an uproar? Go figure. 
      March 15, 2018 7:31 PM MDT

A comparison of the ages between the the the Lady Aisha bint Abu Bakr (wife of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad), and her sister, in fact puts the Lady Aisha's age at consummation of her marriage, at 19:

- - - - Start of extracts: - - - -

"On the authority of some Hadith reports that the marriage ceremony (known as nikah, amounting to betrothal) of Aisha [the Lady Aisha bint Abu Bakr (ra)] with the Holy Prophet Muhammad took place when she was six years of age, and that she joined the Holy Prophet as his wife three years later at the age of nine [...]"

The compiler of the famous Hadith collection "Mishkat al-Masabih", Imam Wali-ud-Din Muhammad ibn Abdullah Al-Khatib, who died 700 years ago, has also written brief biographical notes on the narrators of Hadith reports. He writes under Asma, the older daughter of Abu Bakr:
    “She was the sister of Aisha Siddiqa, wife of the Holy Prophet, and was ten years older than her. … In 73 A.H. … Asma died at the age of one hundred years.” [6]

This would make Asma 28 years of age in 1 A.H., the year of the Hijra, thus making Aisha 18 years old in 1 A.H.

So Aisha would be 19 years old at the time of the consummation of her marriage,
    and 14 or 15 years old at the time of her nikah [betrothal]. It would place her year of birth at four or five years before the Call."

Footnote 6:
    Mishkat al-Masabih, Edition with Urdu translation published in Lahore, 1986, vol. 3, p. 300–301.

Extract Source:
    https://www.muslim.org/islam/aisha-age.htm

- - - - End of extracts - - - -

Here is a list of example regal child marriages:

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

"Joan of France, Duchess of Berry, betrothed in a wedding contract at age 8 days old, she was officially married at age 12 in 1476."

Extract source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_brides

- - - - End of extract - - - -

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

"Isabella of France (9 November 1389 – 13 September 1409) was Queen consort of England as the second spouse of King Richard II. Her parents were King Charles VI of France and Isabeau of Bavaria. She married the king at the age of seven [...]"

Extract source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Valois

- - - - End of quote - - - -

A further list is available at:
    https://womenofhistory.blogspot.com/2007/08/medieval-marriage-childbirth.html

Note:
    Nothing here is intended to condone child marriage, but rather the information is offered as a matter of accepted history.
      June 16, 2021 10:19 AM MDT