Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Education » Did you grow up in a time where teachers could "discipline" their students?

Did you grow up in a time where teachers could "discipline" their students?

I did and it was awful.

Posted - March 12, 2018

Responses

Yes. I got my bottom whacked once in 2nd grade. I don't remember why. Probably for being a smart-ass, because I was.
      March 12, 2018 9:29 AM MDT

Well I grew up in a liberal community where teachers rather just assumed we were somehow all good so should not require anything like that.  Instead they spent lots of time trying to "understand" us.  When I should have been put in solitary and fed on bread and water.  A teacher at one school later told me they had a faculty meeting where our use of drugs was discussed and the head (this was a private school) got up and said "please tell me which student is using drugs and we will dismiss them" when four fifths of the kids in the school were using them. 
      March 12, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

I recently learned that the school I attended still engages in corporal punishment. At least now, parental consent is required. 

March 12, 2018 9:39 AM MDT

Ours had capital punishment.
      March 12, 2018 10:02 AM MDT

Was Randy the principal? Electrocution for failing to capitalize proper nouns? 
      March 12, 2018 10:07 AM MDT

For him it would be elocution.
      March 12, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

• If memory serves me correctly, I got licks (paddled) for the first 10 years of my student career, several times a year.  I hated school! 
      March 12, 2018 9:50 AM MDT

• Nope. That had all been phased out by the time I started school (in 1997). No one used corporal punishment on me, not even my parents. 
      March 12, 2018 10:02 AM MDT

Yep.  Besides the paddle, I had one teacher who always carried a yardstick.  She'd strut around the room while teaching and smack any "misbehaving" student on their hands with the thing.  
      March 12, 2018 10:29 AM MDT

In elementary school. Our 3rd grade teacher was a tiny old lady who hit kids with a ruler or a stick. In 8th grade (still ementary school for Catholics schools) some of the nuns would either lock you in the coat closet or hit students on their knuckles with their ruler. All my other teachers didn't touch the kids. We'd write "I will not talk" or whatever the offense was, about 100 times. 
      March 12, 2018 11:02 AM MDT

Yep ... but since my mom volunteered at the school (elementary), they had her do the corporal punishment.
    Then I would get home, and she would give it to me again ... and then dad would get home, and HE would give it to me.

I quickly learned to behave "just enough" in school.

LOL
      March 12, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

Most likely not.... but no teacher would have got away with hitting any of his kids .....if any had dared hit any of us ,my dad would have battered them senseless .
    We were never allowed to be antisocial and only our parents ever chastised any of us.... 
      March 12, 2018 11:24 AM MDT

yep
    6th grade...
    teacher made me lay across her desk
    and invited all of the other kids to take their biggest book
    and swat me on the behind....Yikes no fun.
         Senior in Catholic High School...
    Principal swatted me on the palms of my hands
    ten times each hand, with a razor strap,
    because I was a bad kid.
       Then step dad did the same thing 
    to me with his razor strap, after school.
    I swear, my hands were virtually useless for two weeks.
      March 12, 2018 12:27 PM MDT

• My dads razor strap had holes drilled in it, lovely imprint.
      March 12, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

None ever hit me but I did a lot of time in detention thru my school years.
      March 12, 2018 12:46 PM MDT

Yep, sure did. In the first grade a girl got paddled for discarding a sheet of paper. I saw the third grade teacher shake a kid. The seventh grade teacher grabbed a kid by the hair and yanked him out of has desk. We all thought this was normal because everybody treated us like criminals.
      March 12, 2018 1:23 PM MDT

Yep..a ruler in elementary and a paddle (with suction capabilities) in Jr. and High School...

March 12, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

Why was it awful?

Teachers can still discipline students.  Not all jurisdictions allow physical punishment though.  It was allowed when I grew up and some of the boys got paddled regularly.  Of course that was nothing to what they probably got when they got home.  In my school, parents signed permission for physical discipline.  My mother did not sign it.  She spanked me quite enough!
      March 12, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

It was awful because the teachers didn't know the difference between "discipline" and "punishment". They would beat kids because they felt frustrated, or because the kids did something normal, or because the kids had never been taught how they should behave. There was no respect, no teaching, no nothing; some teachers used the paddle and some didn't. When the kids got big enough to fight back, they stopped trying to paddle them.
      March 24, 2018 1:56 PM MDT

Nope, teachers weren't allowed to beat on the kids at my school. Nobody wanted the distraction of violence in the classroom.
      March 24, 2018 1:02 PM MDT