Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » At what point should a person who is not mentally well be cut out of your life?

At what point should a person who is not mentally well be cut out of your life?

Posted - March 15, 2018

Responses

When the relationship becomes too toxic for the both of you to continue it.

Maybe it will be easier to say "leave it alone for now" rather than just abruptly CUT it off.  

Just in case, maybe leave the idea of a door open.  Just in case.

Fingers crossed for the best outcome.

March 15, 2018 9:42 PM MDT

Awww, I think you're being much too hard on yourself. You can stick around me, I'm used to you by now. 

~
      March 15, 2018 9:45 PM MDT

Been there.  When they become destructive to your own well being and you have exhausted every way to cope and reason with them, you may have to sever ties. Pathological liars are on this list.  I can't deal with anyone I have no trust with.
      March 15, 2018 9:58 PM MDT

When their presence in your life becomes a dreaded one. 
      March 16, 2018 4:28 AM MDT

When they become a danger to everyone and yourself and they start doing criminal or perverted things to others.....
    There are many people in England that should be locked away forever.....so many are let out and they instantly reoffend again...   I can think of many...
      March 16, 2018 5:46 AM MDT

How the heck can I cut myself out of my life? This post was edited by Element 99 at March 16, 2018 8:56 PM MDT
      March 16, 2018 7:27 AM MDT

• It seems the majority has spoken.  Do you what you do.
      March 16, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

When severing ties solves more problems than it creates.
      March 16, 2018 9:23 AM MDT

Restraining orders do not a relationship make. 

~
      March 16, 2018 9:05 PM MDT

• My maternal grandfather died when I was about 14. He had Alzheimer's and was increasingly losing control of his mind in his last few years. Sometimes he was very good to us children, and sometimes very abusive. My mother's elder sister and her husband took great care of him during those years and tended to his needs night and day. My mother used tp phone my aunt or uncle about his condition before taking us to visit him.

If they could stand by him, and with him, at such a crucial period, I will stand by my parents too should, God forbid, something like that happens to them. I'm worried about my mother a little more than my father because I understand Alzheimer's is a hereditary condition. 
      March 17, 2018 12:35 PM MDT

Well, generally speaking, we have an absolute right to avoid poisonous people and emotion vampires who such the life blood right out of you---whenever you decide to.

If the person is close to you---by choice or family ties---and you have a hierarchy of values and responsibilities based on real obligations that you are trying to balance, the best course of action is seldom (I would guess, since I've never really faced this problem) clear or straightforward.

I'm guessing you are in the "close to you" situation.

If so, clarifying the options that you have that also have a reasonable chance of success with a professional that can help you sort out and evaluate the likely outcomes of your available options would be your best bet.

I know I recommend counselors a lot, but I don't try to be my own lawyer or my own doctor---I just don't know enough of what they know to risk missing the differentials in such situations.

Edit:  Corrected spelling of one word. This post was edited by tom jackson at March 17, 2018 4:59 PM MDT
      March 17, 2018 1:13 PM MDT