Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There are many sports in which folks can participate. Some are benign, others not so much. Some are potentially perilous. Why skydive?

There are many sports in which folks can participate. Some are benign, others not so much. Some are potentially perilous. Why skydive?

If the chute fails to open you're dead. If you pass out or have a heart attack on your way down and can't pull the thingy to activate the parachute, you're dead. Also in mountain climbing. One miscalculation and it could cost your life. Or those extreme sports where you can get paralyzed if you fall wrong or even die. Golf and tennis and basketball are pretty safe. Ice Hockey can be deadly of get elbowed or high-sticked in the wrong place and so can football if you get enough concussions. What causes some folks to be drawn to those activities that carry with them the potential for great harm/damage/danger/death? Living life on the edge?

Posted - March 17, 2018

Responses

My father was a parashootist during WW2. He chose the 101st Airborne Division simply because it paid more money. Personally, I can't see jumping outta an airplane and into the enemy's gunsights. Note; most 'jump-for-fun' parashooters have an automatic device that releases the chute at a safe altitude in case the person passes out.
      March 17, 2018 6:37 AM MDT

Years ago, some friends from work and I went out I did a tandem skydive.  It just seemed like a fun thing to do and I didn't give any thought to the "what ifs."  It was an incredible experience, but once was sufficient.  We went up in a hot air balloon in Taos which was a lot of fun, too and my last experience with "extreme" sports was white water rafting in Pennsylvania.  That was the most dangerous of them all since the raft got hung up on a boulder and went almost vertical and we had two kids in the raft with us who we had to make sure didn't fall out of the raft.  Suffice it to say, we managed to get ourselves safely to shore, but we were soaking wet and exhausted by that time.  I am now the proverbial couch potato. :)

March 17, 2018 8:31 AM MDT

Oh sweetie you are SO VERY BRAVE! I don't know if you remember but I have an EXTREME fear of heights so the hot air balloon/skydiving are out. White water rafting? I dunno. I've seen it on TV and I think I wouldn't be much help. But you mention Taos. That place has always fascinated me L. It seems mystical and magical. I think years ago Carol Burnett had a ranch somewhere near there and I think I also read that Julia Roberts and her family have their home in New Mexico. Did you spend much time in Taos meandering around, absorbing the atmosphere? I visited Philadelphia once upon a time and spent a week there. I loved the place! Thank you for your thoughtful and lively reply! :)
      March 17, 2018 8:41 AM MDT

Fortunately, I don't fear heights.  It is probably the best way to understand the freedom a bird feels when it's soaring above the trees.  The friend I went hot air ballooning with is afraid of heights, but as long as she didn't look down, she was OK and your feet are firm in the basket, so it wasn't that bad.  We were only in Taos for three days, but I did love it.  What I liked more was Santa Fe.  Everywhere you go there are art galleries and crafts shops.  One day a week, they have an open air arts and crafts fair where people bring their wares.  Many of the items have Native American themes and some of the jewelry is just fantastic.  From what little I saw, NM is a beautiful state.  Pennsylvania is interesting, too, but in a different way.  My youngest sister lives in the Brandywine Valley which is beautiful - gently rolling hills and lots of greenery.  Of course, the Amish country is fantastic.  Food fresh from the garden right to the table.  I would imagine that each one of the states has it's own flavor and points of interest. 
      March 17, 2018 9:05 AM MDT

I think so too L. Each state has its own nifty individual attractions that the locals adore and visitors explore. Thank you for your thoughtful answer and Happy Sunday! :).
      March 18, 2018 5:10 AM MDT

Ooooohhhh  gnarley, Spunkmeister!
      March 17, 2018 10:46 AM MDT