Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Travel » How do pay by mail tolls work for rental cars?

How do pay by mail tolls work for rental cars?

Normally they take a picture of you license plate and mail you the bill. Does the rental car place absorb that cost or somehow bill you a month or so water for the tolls?

Posted - March 17, 2018

Responses

I found a website that tells you how each company does it: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/avoid-rental-car-toll-charges/

If I were in a rental car I would probably avoid tollways because when my husband and I drove to Florida a couple of years ago they never sent the bill so my hubby had to call them to find out where to send the payment.

My husband said Colorado's another state that'll never send the bill so he just got the tag that Colorado uses since we drive there a lot to visit family members.

It would be kind of nice if they had a universal tag for cars that works in every state.  They have it for trucks but not for cars.
      March 17, 2018 9:01 PM MDT

Definitely would avoid tolls in a rental. Especially after reading your link. 
      March 18, 2018 11:14 AM MDT

What if you already gave them your card and as soon as you turn the keys in they update costs and charge the card or send you the bill. You then pay by mail? Otherwise no idea.
      March 18, 2018 8:47 AM MDT

I don't know how they handle later charges. 
      March 18, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

Send you a bill or charge the card again. Perhaps we sign over the ability to do so, *sigh*.
      March 18, 2018 12:37 PM MDT