Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED". Really? What is the purpose of judges and lawyers and juries then? Why have them at all?

"JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED". Really? What is the purpose of judges and lawyers and juries then? Why have them at all?

Silly quotation or silly Justice System. They can't both be valid. Which one is bullsh** and which one reflects an absolute truth? Every sat on a jury? Why were you there if not to judge guilt/innocence?

Posted - March 19, 2018

Responses

The Bible is never a silly quotation.
      March 19, 2018 4:54 AM MDT

Hi Rosie:

The bible is not meant to be taken literally, and judicial systems work this way to avert lawlessness and the unraveling of society.
      March 19, 2018 5:20 AM MDT

I think it was talking about judging trivial between individuals. The Elder's have the responsibility to judge serious sins within the congregation to keep the congregation clean. Superior authorities like governments that appoint judges also have a responsibility to judge crimes.

(Matthew 7:1-5) “Stop judging that you may not be judged; 2 for with the judgment you are judging, you will be judged, and with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you. 3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye but do not notice the rafter in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to remove the straw from your eye,’ when look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to remove the straw from your brother’s eye.

(1 Corinthians 5:9-13) In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, 10 not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

(Romans 13:1-5) Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves. 3 For those rulers are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad. Do you want to be free of fear of the authority? Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it; 4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear, for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword. It is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath against the one practicing what is bad. 5 There is therefore compelling reason for you to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of your conscience.
      March 19, 2018 7:45 AM MDT