Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Can a lawyer who is caught lying be disbarred? If not what happens to him? Nothing or something?

Can a lawyer who is caught lying be disbarred? If not what happens to him? Nothing or something?

Posted - March 20, 2018

Responses

Yes.  It is up to the Bar Association, but you can disbar a lawyer if you have enough evidence and the lie affected an outcome.

March 20, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

I would hope so. Not that lawyers are particularly honorable but they are officers of the court and so it seems to me they must be held to a higher standard. Thank you for your reply Sharon! :)
      March 21, 2018 4:32 AM MDT

Lying in court in front of the judge is one of the most severe offenses there is, because it perverts the justice system itself.
      March 20, 2018 8:48 AM MDT

That is very good to know JakobA. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      March 21, 2018 4:33 AM MDT

In any court hearing Rosie ,either the defence or the prosecutors team of lawyers and Solicititors are lying....if neither are then there couldn't be anything to answer for....
    Its not an offence for policeman or those in public office to lie.....proving it would be almost impossible as they all protect their mates.... :(
      March 20, 2018 10:17 AM MDT

I thought that would be illegal D for an officer of the court (aren't all lawyers officers of the court?) to knowingly lie. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 21, 2018 4:34 AM MDT

Normally there is the prosecution and the defence in courts......both sides can't win  ,so one side must must be lying.....and that includes legal team's as in our friends Harvey W rape cases.....do you really think he's legal team believe him......I don't think so....:( 
      March 21, 2018 5:27 AM MDT

Is it possible that a lawyer may sincerely believe in the innocence of someone who is guilty D?  Of course the perps are liars. Do they ever tell their lawyers the truth? Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 21, 2018 5:43 AM MDT

Dont you think that the solicitors know nearly always if their clients are  guilty or innocent.....What about those that represent known gangs or criminals ......
    The whole legal system is just a farce ......Why is the legal fraternity so expensive for just doing such a menial job...
    Why the need for offices costing millions or the need for such high fees....
     They do it because there is no one to stop them and the fact that they get their fees whether they win draw or loose Rosie.....
      March 21, 2018 7:59 AM MDT

I would like to believe that some lawyers are incorruptible and honorable D. We have the ACLU in our country. American Civil Liberties Union. I don't know if you have a comparable something in your country. You probably do and we probably copied it from you as we do so many things. Anyway I admire those lawyers because you don't get rich defending the downtrodden. They fight for JUSTICE to be served. I think the clients lawyers choose to represent determine what kind of human being the lawyer is. Mob clients? Doofylucy?  Those lawyers are crumbum scumbums from the get-go and will lie and lie and lie to get their clients off. Worthless sh** but somehow they keep their lawyer license. Everyone knows they represent the very WORST people (like doofylucy) which means they are corrupt. How does the Bar Association justify it? I'm gonna ask.  Thank you for your reply sweetie! :)
      March 22, 2018 4:34 AM MDT

They can't all be corrupt Rosie.....maybe just the majority of them or more those that love money and the ones that feel they need to be famous in the public eye.....

How indeed does the law society stand for it or except it if they to werent corruptable to.....

Blairs wife thing is a multi millionaire human rights queens council Laywer I think.......She makes me feel physically sick hearing her name let alone seeing her picture in newspapers....

March 22, 2018 1:43 PM MDT

We have some of those folks in our country too. I cannot bear listening to the pap they promulgate. I cannot even look at them. How they get away with it and profit from it is puzzling. Maybe not puzzling. I get confused a lot. I think simple thoughts. I look for the sense of it. If it makes sense I buy it even though I don't agree with it. If it makes no sense either it's my lack of comprehension OR it really is nonsense. Such is life! Thank you for your reply D and Happy Friday to thee!  :)
      March 23, 2018 2:10 AM MDT

It is not necessarily true that one of the lawyers are lying. That is your own either/or universe thinking intruding. Both may b lying their head of, bit it could also be that both are telling the truth.

There are several stories abot how this can happen. here is one:

A man comes riding on a grey horse, about a mile outside the city he stop, dismount and pull 2 cans of paint out of his pack. one can hold green paint. He paint the right side of the horse green. The other can hold red paint, he use that to paint the left side of the horse red. Then he ride up to the city gate. there is a guard standing on each side of the gate. "What is the color of my horse?" he ask the guard on the right "its green" say the guard, "but we wont let you in because you are a stranger with no references". Then he ask the guard on the left "what is the color of my horse?"  "Its Red" say the left guard, "but we wont let you in because.."...
    "What? cries the right guard, are you so blind you cannot see his horse is green?" and they start arguing and, in the end, fighting about it. While they a busy doing that the man quietly ride up close to the gate and let himself in. Once in there he stole the kings crown and ride out again through the other gate, nice and quiet. Then he wash the paint off his horse and rode on his way

So who is the liar here. The guy on the horse was a lawyer, he knew it would cost him dearly if lied, so he did not tell a single lie. He left it for others to tell the lies
      March 21, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

Nice touch.....I think you are in the wrong job.....lol
      March 21, 2018 8:04 AM MDT

My current job is to rake in my pension and enjoy life. I do not want another.
      March 21, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

Good four you....:) 
      March 21, 2018 1:11 PM MDT

There are only two things a lawyer can be absolutely certain will get him/her disbarred: Steal from your clients or, even worse, fail to pay your bar dues. The latter is the most serious conceivable offense and will get a lawyer suspended within 31 days, guaranteed, with permanent disbarment sure to follow if the delinquent dues are not eventually coughed up. Stealing client funds is almost as certain to result in professional capital punishment, but takes longer because of messy formalities like due process, etc.

https://jimcraven10.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/the-art-of-getting-disbarred-for-perjury/

Perjury of course, is illegal.

And remember---

Guilty when opposed to innocent become moral terms.

Guilty when opposed to not guilty are legal terms.

Morality is seldom a cause of action (LAW: a fact or facts that enable a person to bring an action against another) unless the immorality is also against the law.
      March 21, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

Such are the nuances of legalese. Innocent and not guilty have different meanings? Immoral may not be illegal? SIGH. Decades ago for a brief time I attended law school. Nothing fancy. Why? Because folks told me I should be a lawyer. I could argue for or against anything and be convincing. It had never occurred to me to be one so I dipped my toes in it. I lasted a month. I'm not good lawyer material. First of all I don't believe that EVERYONE is entitled to a spirited defense. Not if the perp is guilty as he**. So I sought other ways to earn a living and ended up where I should have been all along. Internal Auditor. You are left entirely alone to examine/investigate. It's like a puzzle that you take apart and then put together again in a way that is CORRECT and provides the true picture of what is. It was tons of fun and I loved every minute of it. There is nothing like going to work each day loving what you do. I hope that has been true for you too. Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      March 23, 2018 2:18 AM MDT