Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it very brave or very stupid to keep doubling down on something that isn't working? Why?

Is it very brave or very stupid to keep doubling down on something that isn't working? Why?

Posted - March 21, 2018

Responses

Consider that has been the policy of our government for decades in the "war on drugs", "war on poverty", dealing with gangs, falling behind in education, etc.

We always throw more money down those black holes, expecting things to change.  But they never do.
      March 21, 2018 8:43 AM MDT

Hahahahahaha! That's Bad Rosie giggling at the truth of your words Walt. She can't help it. The giggles are not joyous. They are the very nervous kind of giggling. You know what I mean. Is it just that we are untrainable and unable to learn from past failures? I mean what the he** is going on here? How many failures and disasters do we have to experience before we figure out we're doing something wrong? I gotta ask! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday!:)
      March 22, 2018 4:16 AM MDT

I think part of it is that government officials believe they have to do *something* to justify it being a full-time job.
    Remember, when our country was founded, government service was an "off season" thing.  That's why they have such long breaks - to go home and do their REAL jobs.

Part of it is also that we do not hold those officials accountable.
    It's strange, to me, that we have no problem holding local officials responsible for their actions.  But when it gets to the state and federal level, most people are like "Eh, it's just easier to vote party line than figure out who best represents my ideals".  Those same people are the ones who talk of imposing term limits, because they are too lazy to vote the officials out of office.

And part of it is that, unlike private business, there is NO "return on investment" audits.
    When was the last time anyone looked at the cost of using the military vs diplomacy?  Never that I know of.
    Or the ROI of our education system vs that of the top 10 nations?  Again, never.  We have to keep coming up with new theories to try.  (And just about anyone can tell you that you don't test theories in "live" environments, until they have been proven in a "test" environment.)  
      March 22, 2018 7:06 AM MDT

Considering ROI in government? You gotta be kidding me! It's the people's tax money you see so they spend it like drunkken sailors who have been at sea years and find hoors who will delight them. in every way 24/7. That's the  way she rolls. Normal businesses have departmental budgets. They have profit centers. They do audits on all kinds of things.  You don't go over budget. Ever. You cut expenses. You don't hire as many people. You freeze salaries. A business wants to stay in business and so budgets are critical tools to effect that.  But the government? Just borrow the money. Just fund it and say that increased jobs and increased profits will pay for it. Give 'em the old song and dance routine and they will buy it. As long as they get what they want out of it. Pork works.  Extensive travel first class works. Expense accounts work. Purchases of Fixed Assets work (in government  there is no 'ceiling" apparently or if there is people go around it). That is what the Missus Carson did. The budget ws $5000 and she instructed someone to " find a way around it". .They are all greedy bums who are promiscuously wanton in spending money that does not belong to them. How much have we spent on the doofylucy trips to Mar A Lago and his golf resorts since he became a sham prez? The rot starts at the top. SIGH. Don't get me started! Thank you for your thoughtful analysis  Walt! I am a retired Internal Auditor. So I am familiar with the concept of ROI. SIGH.
      March 22, 2018 7:29 AM MDT

Did you see the story about how TWO departments ... over the course of 20 years ... can't account for $21 Trillion?  The same amount as the national debt.

I say we cut their budget by $21 Trillion in the next 20 years, and put that money towards paying off the national debt.

Then do the same with the estimated $8 Trillion the DoD is "missing".

We could pay off the national debt in the next decade!

March 22, 2018 10:12 AM MDT

AARRGGHH! No I didn't Walt! Thanks for the info. Hope you aren't in the stock market. You probably know it dove 724 points on Thursday. Doofylucy in action. Loves chaos and conflict and so he blows things up as often as he can. The GOP usta be the party that embraced free trade,  lowering debt  and being tough on Russia. It used to chide Obama for ot being tough enough! Now they don't say a peep when their daddy doofylucy sleeps with the head of the government. Go figger! So what do you think is gonna happen today? More big down before the weekend shuts the markets down or some rallying? Based on what? What an ignoramus doofylucy is. That's what hi s peeps love about him! He is truly stoopid! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      March 23, 2018 1:32 AM MDT

March 22, 2018 7:34 AM MDT

Must be in our DNA. The head knows better but the heart does its own thing. And we get results that we moan about and then we repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat! Thank you for your reply and the nifty phot and Happy Friday! :)
      March 23, 2018 1:38 AM MDT