Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Will you be observing the Memorial of Christ death, celebrating Easter, something else, or nothing?

Will you be observing the Memorial of Christ death, celebrating Easter, something else, or nothing?

Observance of the Memorial, Nisan 14,  is this evening in my time zone.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013926?q=%22Do+This+in+Remembrance+of+Me%22&p=par

Posted - March 31, 2018

Responses

Xxxxx. :) 
      May 12, 2018 2:17 PM MDT

Both Christ's Resurrection and the new reality it has ushered in---a new reality that has which changed the relationship between God and all His creation.

Adam's sin is referred to as the "Happy Fault."  

Why does the Church lead us to rejoice in the Fall of the human race? The reason is that through the redemption of Jesus Christ we have been restored to the supernatural state in a way far surpassing in glory what we could have known had there been no Fall.
      March 31, 2018 8:16 PM MDT

The new reality that you speak of is in opposition to the Bible. Death is an enemy.

(Genesis 2:17) But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.”
    (Isaiah 43:27) Your first forefather sinned, And your own spokesmen have rebelled against me.
    (Romans 5:12) That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—.
    (1 Corinthians 15:21, 22) For since death came through a man, resurrection of the dead also comes through a man. 22 For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive.
    (1 Corinthians 15:26) And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.
    (1 Corinthians 15:45) So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
    (Mark 7:13) Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”
      April 1, 2018 6:01 AM MDT

The new reality was created by God.  Christ was the new Adam.

Why would I want to celebrate anything the JW's do when I can participate in a real thing because when in the Catholic Church, the Eucharist is a true sacrament?

To me, that makes as much sense as watching a you tube video of a performance when you have the option of going to the actual concert.

And of course, everything you have posted in your reply is in the bible to warn us about the JW's
      May 12, 2018 4:02 PM MDT

What JW's preach is in from the Bible. You preach paganism and bloodshed.

When is the last time your Church has burned a Christian at the stake?
      May 12, 2018 6:09 PM MDT

JW's preach from their bible and their interpretation of it.

I find it amusing that you JW"S quote all of the warnings about your organization that the bible cites to remind us of how dangerous you people are as if they applied to Catholicism.

Putting on the "armor of Christ" is an easy and effective defense against you.  Christ said "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  If you ever actually meet him, you will understand.i

May 12, 2018 8:23 PM MDT

How does John 16:2-3 refer to JW's in a bad way when they have not killed or persecuted anyone while your Church has such a bloody history?

You don't know your Church well enough to answer this: When is the last time your Church has burned a Christian at the stake?
     You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know. (John 4:22)

And as I said elsewhere: 
    False religion by your standards, nothing like Bible standards. Your Church is the most murderous in all of history, even though y'all don't burn people at the stake for translating or accepting the Bible or rejecting your 4th century trinity god.

It's funny how you go in and make a jab and then when scriptures are shown in context, you leave to show your disgruntled head in another.

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02616a.htm

History of the ancient Unitas Fratrum (1457-1722)

The Bohemian Brethren are a link in a chain of sects beginning with Wyclif (1324-84) and coming down to the present day. The ideas of the Englishman found favour with Hus, and Bohemia proved a better soil for their growth than EnglandBoth Wyclif and Hus were moved by a sincere desire to reform the Church of their times; both failed and, without intending it, became the fathers of new heretical bodies — the Lollards and the Hussites. The former were persecuted out of existence in England by Catholic rulers;the latter prospered in Bohemia, thanks to royal and national support.The burning of John Hus at the stake for his stubborn adherence to the condemned doctrines of Wyclif (at Constance, 6 July, 1415) was considered an insult to the faith of the Bohemian nation, which, since its first conversion to Christianity, had never swerved from the truth.The University of Prague came boldly forward to vindicate the man and his doctrines; the party which hitherto had worked at reforming the Church from within now rejected the Church's authority and became the Hussite sect. Divisions at once arose amongst its members. Some completely set aside the authority of the Church and admitted no other rule than the Bible;others only demanded Communion under both kinds for the laity and free preaching of the Gospel, with some minor reforms. The former, who met for worship at "Mount Tabor", were called Taborites; the latter received the name of Calixtines, i.e., the party of the Chalice. As long as they had a common enemy to fight they fought together under the leadership of that extraordinary man, John Trocznowski, known as Zizka (the one-eyed), and for fully fifteen years proved more than a match for the imperial armies and papal crusaders sent to crush them. Peace was at length obtained, not by force of arms, but by skilful negotiations which resulted in the "Compactata of Basle" (30 November, 1433). The compact was chiefly due to the concessions made by the Calixtine party; it found little or no favour with the Taborites. The discontent led to a feud which terminated at the Battle of Lippau (30 May, 1434) with the death of Procopius, the Taborite leader, and the almost total extinction of this party. The small remnant, too insignificant to play a role in politics, withdrew into private life, devoting all their energies to religion. In 1457 one section formed itself into a separate body under the name of the "Brethren's Union" (Unitas Fratrum), which is now generally spoken of as the Bohemian Brethren. Their contemporaries coined for them several opprobrious designations, such as Jamnici (cave-dwellers) and Pivnicnici (beerhouse men), Bunzlau Brethren, Picards (corrupted toPickarts), etc.

(John 16:2, 3) Men will expel you from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he has offered a sacred service to God. 3 But they will do these things because they have not come to know either the Father or me.
      May 13, 2018 7:37 AM MDT

I always got the kids to bite the end off of their hollow chocolate eggs - it resembles an empty cave. That's what we celebrate - not His death. The stone rolled back, the tomb empty. He is Risen. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 1, 2018 6:26 AM MDT
      April 1, 2018 4:59 AM MDT

That brings several questions from someone that has had so much biblical education at schools as yourself has had.
    What happened when Jesus replaced the Passover and said to keep doing this? His death or resurrection? 
    Is there instructions on how to celebrate his resurrection?
    Is there instructions on how to celebrate his death?
    Is a yearly celebration with eggs and rabbits and such from the Bible or from Paganism?

(Mark 8:31-33) (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)
      April 1, 2018 5:52 AM MDT

He knew His time after the Resurrection would be short. The blood of the New covenant, represented by wine, replaced the literal blood of the Old covenant. The unleavened bread remained, its meaning changed. The promise was brought to fruition not by His death, but by His rising.
    Yeshua didn't provide instructions to celebrate either, just to remember Him - "do this is memory of Me".
    Of course the rabbits and eggs are Pagan, Jewish passover coincides with the Spring equinox which was celebrated by all cultures. The Church in the early Middle Ages was rather good at appropriating local customs and "Christianizing" them, the most obvious example being the twisting of Saturnalia. Yeshua certainly wasn't born in December, otherwise the shepherds wouldn't have been outside at night - they and the sheep would have been taking shelter in that barn He was born in. I gave the eggs a Christian slant. 
      April 1, 2018 10:21 PM MDT

Well it looks to me like he instituted the Memorial at the time of and in place of the Passover, at His death.

(1 Corinthians 11:23-26) For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.

(Matthew 26:26-28) As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf, and after saying a blessing, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” 27 And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you, 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.
      April 2, 2018 5:02 AM MDT

I celebrate the memorial of CHRIST'S LIFE each and every day.
    Christ never died and neither do we.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 1, 2018 11:29 AM MDT
      April 1, 2018 10:00 AM MDT

I'm not much on celebrating holidays with pagan origins so I pass on that. :)
      April 2, 2018 2:59 PM MDT

Me too neither or either? (Where'e Randy when ya need him. lol)
    I only observe the Memorial.

(Luke 22:19, 20) Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 20 Also, he did the same with the cup after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.

(Matthew 26:26-28) As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf, and after saying a blessing, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” 27 And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you, 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.

(1 Corinthians 11:23-26) For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.
      April 2, 2018 3:25 PM MDT

"Neither do I"
      April 2, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

You too, great! 
    Oh, er em, that's what I was supposed to said. 
      April 2, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

Yup. I believe in and observe daily the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. The pagan origins of Easter was thrown into the mix some time after Jesus' ascension to the right hand of the Father. Kinda makes you wonder why we mere humans are constantly trying to improve on God's already perfect work and plans. :)
      April 2, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

Most fall for it hook, line and sinker.
    (2 Timothy 4:3, 4) For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.
      April 2, 2018 7:06 PM MDT

Yeah. Randy kinda keeps me on my toes. I'm normally pretty good about punctuation and grammar but I get lazy and tend to take a stab at it and move on. :)
      April 2, 2018 6:59 PM MDT

No... Ill be down the pub bathing my tonsils with aclchol..........Happy Days....
      May 12, 2018 1:53 PM MDT

I'll join ya.
      May 12, 2018 2:11 PM MDT

I hope you like Doubles then......lol  
      May 12, 2018 2:15 PM MDT

Two at a time? I could handle them.
      May 12, 2018 2:59 PM MDT

Q "Will you be observing the Memorial of Christ death, celebrating Easter, something else, or nothing?"

===========================================================================

I might consider observing the Memorial of Christ's death if there were not too many indications in the Bible itself that he probably didn't die. Here are just a very few:

a- Jesus effectively said in Matthew 12:40 that just as Jonah did not miraculously die despite eye witnesses who would have sincerely testified that he did die, so would he [Jesus] not die, miraculously, despite eye witnesses who would sincerely testify that he did.

b- he prayed so earnestly to be saved that his sweat was like drops of blood. Jesus said that those who sincerely pray have their prayers answered.

c- crucifixion was designed to be a slow and tortuous death that could take days. Jesus was on the cross only for a few hours. Pilate was amazed when an eye witness told him Jesus had died.

d- death can, albeit rarely, be tricky to certify even with modern technology and highly skilled doctors. There was no medical certification of the death of Jesus.

e- in his reported appearances after crucifixion Jesus does not say that he is a resurrected person. Quite the contrary, he is at pains to assure his disciples in the upper room that he was the same flesh and bones Jesus they knew, still with the scars from the crucifixion and still in need of earthly food.
      May 12, 2018 3:41 PM MDT

a - "Just as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish ...  so the Son of Man will be in the belly of Hades". Hades was explicitly known as the realm of the dead.

b - "Not my will but thine be done". He submitted to the will of His Father. He was saved on the third day, but only by rising from death could His victory over eternal death be complete.

c - Jesus was severely beaten (scourged), and nailed rather than tied to the Cross. He was half dead before they hung him there, still bleeding. Likely he bled out, possibly internally - that can take hours but not days.

d - There was no medical certification of the death of anybody else either back then, but if the blood mass has seperated from the plasma ("blood and water ran out"), it's a clear indication that it has ceased to circulate.

e - as did Lazarus, whose body had gone so far as to start to decompose ("there is a smell") before Jesus raised him. Jesus' body was resurrected entirely, so He was as human after rising as He had been prior to His death.
      May 12, 2018 9:52 PM MDT