Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How much of how you perceive yourself is based on the opinions of others? Do you NEED them to think you're wonderful? Why?

How much of how you perceive yourself is based on the opinions of others? Do you NEED them to think you're wonderful? Why?

Posted - April 6, 2018

Responses

I have also emailed you a check---hope you get it.
      April 7, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

I wanted my parents to be proud of me Ele. I remember not being able to go to sleep at night if I had disappointed them. That was very important to me. As for others? I just wanted them to accept me. I was not a typical kid. I was (as I have said before) very shy. I also was a very good student and skipped some grades in grammar school which made me a couple of years younger than the other students. So I stuck out like a sore thumb on two counts.  Being popular or having the kids think I was wonderful was never on my radar. I just wished they didn't think I was so weird. I loved school. After 2 weeks of summer vacation I'd count the days until school would start again. I mean what normal kid does that? I am a perennial student and am insufferably curious about everything all the time. I have been that way since I can remember. It is very off-putting to many folks. Not the kind of person most people are drawn to. I mean who wants to be questioned/grilled 24/7 about everything? But now?  It really doesn't matter. I mean my preference would be the same as my wish when I was a kid. Being accepted with all my warts. Being liked would be very nice too but you can't program how people feel about you or what they think about you. If I have to choose between being honest and being popular you know there is no choice . "I've gotta be me". There is a song with that title. Whatever hits I have to take for being me is fine with me. Some stuff always comes with the territory we carve out for ourselves. I accept mine. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 9, 2018 10:57 AM MDT
      April 8, 2018 2:55 AM MDT

I grew up with no father and my mother was too busy working to care. I had to rely on myself and my opinion of me was the only one important.
      April 8, 2018 7:09 AM MDT

Oh. Gosh. I did not know. Well m'dear you turned out very well as far as I'm concerned. I think it's important to have confidence in whom you are. If you don't have confidence in you why should anyone else? Thank you for your reply. My sis and I had both parents. We were somewhat closer to our dad because he was less judgmental. He always focused on the garden. Our mom had a tendency to focus in on the weeds. Some folks are just wired like that. Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 8, 2018 7:15 AM MDT

I'm more a handful then wonderful Rosie....I know it's true as I use to hear my mum tell her friends that all the time....Apparently I use to stroll about my parents home as if I use to own the place.....Still do really....I must have taught them well...lol
      April 9, 2018 7:01 AM MDT

I didn't have an easy time of it growing up.  Sadly, I was very vulnerable to the opinions of others.  

But I have come a long way.  I now see it as a compliment when certain people don't like me.  I know exactly what my own values are, so I'm pretty confident these days.
      April 9, 2018 10:59 AM MDT

Good for you.  I think many of us start out with the approval of others being important and as we become more content in our own skin, it doesn't matter nearly as much.
      April 9, 2018 4:14 PM MDT

My head is all screwed up and tend to believe anything someone else says about me.
      April 9, 2018 4:28 PM MDT

Trust me, if you can get away from that thinking, you won't believe how much better life can be.  

I do relate since that was my existence for way too long.  
      April 9, 2018 7:43 PM MDT