Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Jesus saved souls. What else might He have saved?

Jesus saved souls. What else might He have saved?

Posted - April 10, 2018

Responses

I remember those. And tax stamps.
      April 10, 2018 2:00 PM MDT

My mother saved the Green Stamps.  They disappeared as I reached adulthood.
      April 10, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

Well ... we know he didn't save jobs.

He turned water to wine ... putting wine merchants out of business.

He fed the masses with the miracle of bread and fishes ... putting fishermen and bakers out of business.

He overturned tables in the synagogue ... putting money changers out of business.

He raised Lazarus and himself from the dead ... putting embalmers, grave diggers, etc out of business.

He encouraged people to walk on water ... putting shipbuilders out of business.

ROFL
      April 10, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

Yeah...and He could have turned the Romans into fish and tossed them into the sea.
      April 10, 2018 3:36 PM MDT

"He raised ... himself from the dead" instantly invalidating, in all dictionaries, the normal meaning of the word dead.
      May 14, 2018 11:45 AM MDT

John 2:19-22:
    By what he here said, did Jesus mean that he would resurrect himself from the dead? Does that mean that Jesus is God, because Acts 2:32 says, “This Jesus God raised up”? Not at all. Such a view would conflict with Galatians 1:1, which ascribes the resurrection of Jesus to the Father, not to the Son. Using a similar mode of expression, at Luke 8:48 Jesus is quoted as saying to a woman: “Your faith has made you well.” Did she heal herself? No; it was power from God through Christ that healed her because she had faith. (Luke 8:46; Acts 10:38) Likewise, by his perfect obedience as a human, Jesus provided the moral basis for the Father to raise him from the dead, thus acknowledging Jesus as God’s Son. Because of Jesus’ faithful course of life, it could properly be said that Jesus himself was responsible for his resurrection.
    Says A. T. Robertson in Word Pictures in the New Testament: “Recall [John] 2:19 where Jesus said: ‘And in three days I will raise it up.’ He did not mean that he will raise himself from the dead independently of the Father as the active agent (Rom. 8:11).”—(New York, 1932), Vol. V, p. 183.
      May 15, 2018 7:19 AM MDT

I agree so your comments are best addressed to Walt O'Reagun who asserted that Jesus "raised ... himself from the dead"
      May 15, 2018 7:33 AM MDT

I addressed where I wanted to. No invalidating the normal meaning of the word dead. He was dead.
      May 16, 2018 12:47 AM MDT

okay, if you like preaching to the converted. Less challenging I expect.
      May 16, 2018 9:21 AM MDT

So you now agree that Jesus was killed and resurrected?

EDIT:
    See if you can handle seeing the agreement in the inspired scriptures:
    (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4) For among the first things I handed on to you was what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; 4 and that he was buried, yes, that he was raised up on the third day according to the Scriptures;

(Psalm 22:15) My strength has dried up like a piece of pottery; My tongue sticks to my gums; You are bringing me down to the dust of death.
    (Isaiah 53:8) Because of restraint and judgment he was taken away; And who will concern himself with the details of his generation? For he was cut off from the land of the living; Because of the transgression of my people he received the stroke.
    (Isaiah 53:12) For that reason I will assign him a portion among the many, And he will apportion the spoil with the mighty, Because he poured out his life even to death And was counted among the transgressors; He carried the sin of many people, And he interceded for the transgressors.
    (Daniel 9:26) “And after the 62 weeks, Mes·siʹah will be cut off, with nothing for himself. “And the people of a leader who is coming will destroy the city and the holy place. And its end will be by the flood. And until the end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations.
    (1 Peter 2:24) He himself bore our sins in his own body on the stake, so that we might die to sins and live to righteousness. And “by his wounds you were healed.”

Words of Jesus:
    (Matthew 16:21) From that time forward, Jesus began explaining to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised up.
    (Matthew 17:22, 23) It was while they were gathered together in Galʹi·lee that Jesus said to them: “The Son of man is going to be betrayed into men’s hands, 23 and they will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised up.” And they were very much grieved. This post was edited by texasescimo at May 17, 2018 3:15 AM MDT
      May 17, 2018 3:11 AM MDT

"So you now agree that Jesus was killed and resurrected?"

ermm .... I don't know what you're on about but the issue I commented on was related to the claim that Jesus "raised ... himself from the dead"
      May 17, 2018 6:16 PM MDT

Looks to me like you are claiming to be a convert accepting that Jesus died. For years you were saying he didn't die.
      May 17, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

I said to Walt O'Reagun: "He raised ... himself from the dead" instantly invalidating, in all dictionaries, the normal meaning of the word dead.

To Walt O'Reagun Jesus is God who raised himself from the dead. To you Jesus isn't God. God raised Jesus from the dead. Jesus isn't God to me either. That's why when you addressed your comments to me, which I expected to assert that Jesus was not God, I said that you're preaching to the converted.

Sometimes things need to be spelled out, and I hope I've done that now.
      May 17, 2018 8:46 PM MDT

You can't change the context of what was said regardless of mountains of explaining it away.
    My comment immediately before your mention of being converted said: "He was dead", yes?

May 18, 2018 1:03 AM MDT

The battle of Armageddon, the last battle on earth, to be won by HIM...
      April 10, 2018 5:05 PM MDT

does he lose battles?
      May 14, 2018 11:49 AM MDT

How about he saved a party from being a dud (John 2:1-11) and he saved believing Jews from a life without bacon? (Lev 11:7; Deut 14:8; Dan 9:24-27; Romans 10:4)
      April 10, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

...He saved the Biggest Secret
    for those that open their Heart
    to Him.
      April 10, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

those who are leaving the fold, presumably they didn't understand the Biggest Secret?
      May 14, 2018 11:24 AM MDT

I don't know but i like thinking about your question.

And I like to imagine his boyhood years - - what he might have collected as innocent playthings or whatever; things children play with.
    :)
      April 10, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

does God ever play with children's toys
      May 14, 2018 11:26 AM MDT

A young Jesus probably did, I like to think.
      May 14, 2018 12:26 PM MDT

"A young Jesus probably did" perhaps he was not yet God, I expect.
      May 14, 2018 12:36 PM MDT

Maybe. you could be right. I'm not expert.
    As I understood it, Jesus was all man and all God all at the same time. Or all-man being the way to God.
    Anyway, yeah, I still like to think of him playing with toys, being a youngster, wherever he may have been in his God-dom at the time.
      May 14, 2018 12:41 PM MDT

Well, if God can eat and go to the toilet then why can't he play with a few toys, and be a living contradiction to boot, simultaneously mortal and immortal - while insisting that he's not the author of confusion.
      May 14, 2018 12:49 PM MDT