Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Did God create life?

Did God create life?

During the days of creation God created all the animals, birds, bees and fishes but how could any of these survive if they just 'popped into' existence? They would have no experience or instincts what to do to survive. They might feel thirst and hunger but not know it meant that they should eat and even if they knew they should eat they would not know what to eat. A lion eyeballing a zebra might think 'I can't eat that hairy thing with long bony legs'. Or a cow noticing all the grass might think 'I can't eat that dirty stuff after it's been stepped on by animals with their dirty paws and hooves'.
So all these species would have died off except for the single cell things that could absorb nutrition via their cell walls. Then that was the beginning of evolution. 

Posted - April 12, 2018

Responses

Seems like you’re not paying much attention in class, probably why it makes no sense to you. 
      April 12, 2018 2:27 PM MDT

Interesting. Never heard that, though I have heard other strange things. Just throw a couple of billion years in to the mix and Walla, we are here. Scientific method.
      April 12, 2018 6:40 PM MDT

Throw a little magic into 6 days and use the last one to rest and Walla, here we are. The illusion method.
      April 13, 2018 7:07 PM MDT

Not at all. No one that believes like I do ever said anything like that. They were not 12 hour days nor 24 hour days but unspecified periods of time. (Gen 2:4) Yowm (yohm) does not just mean 24 hour or 12 hour day neither does 'day' in English.
    Starting off with the conclusion that there is no God and working backwards from there confuses many.

[What Does Genesis Say?
    AS WITH other things that are misrepresented or misunderstood, the first chapter of the Bible deserves at least a fair hearing. The need is to investigate and determine whether it harmonizes with known facts, not to mold it to fit some theoretical framework. Also to be remembered, the Genesis account was not written to show the “how” of creation. Rather, it covers major events in a progressive way, describing what things were formed, the order in which they were formed and the time interval, or “day,” in which each first appeared.
    2 When examining the Genesis account, it is helpful to keep in mind that it approaches matters from the standpoint of people on earth. So it describes events as they would have been seen by human observers had they been present. This can be noted from its treatment of events on the fourth Genesis “day.” There the sun and moon are described as great luminaries in comparison to the stars. Yet many stars are far greater than our sun, and the moon is insignificant in comparison to them. But not to an earthly observer. So, as seen from the earth, the sun appears to be a ‘greater light that rules the day’ and the moon a ‘lesser light that dominates the night.’—Genesis 1:14-18.
    3 The first part of Genesis indicates that the earth could have existed for billions of years before the first Genesis “day,” though it does not say for how long. However, it does describe what earth’s condition was just before that first “day” began: “Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.”—Genesis 1:2.
    How Long Is a Genesis “Day”?
    4 Many consider the word “day” used in Genesis chapter 1 to mean 24 hours. However, in Genesis 1:5 God himself is said to divide day into a smaller period of time, calling just the light portion “day.” In Genesis 2:4 all the creative periods are called one “day”: “This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day [all six creative periods] that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.”
    5 The Hebrew word yohm, translated “day,” can mean different lengths of time. Among the meanings possible, William Wilson’s Old Testament Word Studies includes the following: “A day; it is frequently put for time in general, or for a long time; a whole period under consideration . . . Day is also put for a particular season or time when any extraordinary event happens.”1 This last sentence appears to fit the creative “days,” for certainly they were periods when extraordinary events were described as happening. It also allows for periods much longer than 24 hours.
    6 Genesis chapter 1 uses the expressions “evening” and “morning” relative to the creative periods. Does this not indicate that they were 24 hours long? Not necessarily. In some places people often refer to a man’s lifetime as his “day.” They speak of “my father’s day” or “in Shakespeare’s day.” They may divide up that lifetime “day,” saying “in the morning [or dawn] of his life” or “in the evening [or twilight] of his life.” So ‘evening and morning’ in Genesis chapter 1 does not limit the meaning to a literal 24 hours.
    7 “Day” as used in the Bible can include summer and winter, the passing of seasons. (Zechariah 14:8) “The day of harvest” involves many days. (Compare Proverbs 25:13 and Genesis 30:14.) A thousand years are likened to a day. (Psalm 90:4; 2 Peter 3:8, 10) “Judgment Day” covers many years. (Matthew 10:15; 11:22-24) It would seem reasonable that the “days” of Genesis could likewise have embraced long periods of time—millenniums. What, then, took place during those creative eras? Is the Bible’s account of them scientific? Following is a review of these “days” as expressed in Genesis]

n
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3117&t=KJV

day, time, year

1. day (as opposed to night)

2. day (24 hour period)

1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1

2. as a division of time

1. a working day, a day's journey

3. days, lifetime (pl.)

4. time, period (general)

5. year

6. temporal references

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/day
    1. The period of light between dawn and nightfall; the interval from sunrise to sunset.
    a. The 24-hour period during which the earth completes one rotation on its axis, traditionally measured frommidnight to midnight.
    b. The period during which a celestial body makes a similar rotation.
    3. One of the numbered 24-hour periods into which a week, month, or year is divided.
    4. The portion of a 24-hour period that is devoted to work, school, or business: an eight-hour day; a sale that lasted forthree days.
    5. 24-hour period or a portion of it that is reserved for a certain activity: day of rest.
    a. specific, characteristic period in one's lifetime: In Grandmother's day, skirts were long.
    b. period of opportunity or prominence: Every defendant is entitled to a day in court. That child will have herday.
    7. period of time in history; an era: We studied the tactics used in Napoleon's day. The day of computer science iswell upon us.
    8. days Period of life or activity

n

n
      April 14, 2018 5:28 AM MDT

The moon is not a light and does not rule the night. Ancient Egyptians recorded two suns before the one we have now, and one of them was green. The green one stayed above the north pole so it did not rise or set.
      April 14, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

Are you agreeing with antibiotic or just trying to muddy the water? 

Literally, the moon is not a light but it does reflect the light from the sun, yes? Literally the moon does not rule anything but it is the predominant source of light at night, yes?
    Ancient Egyptians had all sorts of strange beliefs. I thought you had some type of belief in the Bible?
      April 14, 2018 5:49 PM MDT

It is pretty thoroughly researched, and I see no reason to doubt the result.

they are not from the jawbone The are from 2 times 2 small bones that used to be located near the Jawbone. There are other animals who still have those two bones assisting the jaw (and neither hammer or anvil in their ears)
    What is still a mystery is what evolutionary pressure could cause those bones to migrate so far, through areas that are neither Jaw nor ears. We are missing is an intermediate stage.

April 12, 2018 8:14 PM MDT

I am afraid, at the risk of being unpopular on here, (lol like that's a new situation for me :P) everything is explainable by science.. And yes science hasn't got it right yet but evolution explains it well. See when lions etc are discussed, we have to remember that these things weren't lions when they were first on this earth.. .they were slime and then increasingly complex biological lifeforms, which in turn evolved into lions.. IF there were a God he sure didn't slap down a bunch of lions on this earth - they evolved. 
      April 12, 2018 12:34 PM MDT

Interesting. You seem to have evidence of some kind of slime and a lion as an end result. How did this slime transform into the separation of a male and female, to reproduce? How did this slime reproduce to form an increasingly complex biological life form, to sustain an evolution process? How was this slime created?
    Every beginning to any matter, comes from a source of creation.
      April 13, 2018 7:15 PM MDT

Evolution has no relation to science. It is as the bible says, "science falsely so called".

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
      April 13, 2018 9:25 PM MDT

My mum and dad created me and my brothers and sisters ....My dad would have been pretty miffed if he thought anyone else had a hand in creating us ....
    He can get pretty violent if anyone dares touch his stuff with out asking first.....and I think you'd have to be pretty stupid or desperate to even contemplate asking ....:( 
      April 12, 2018 1:24 PM MDT

Were I, as a human, offered omniscience, I would refuse---imagine how boring it would be to never discover anything while it is happening because I already knew the result.

On the other hand, if I were God, perhaps I could use my omnipotence to choose not to know a particular result of what I did---especially if I had the power to turn back what we call time so that "bad," if that were the result, never happened.

By such thoughts, I might come to the conclusion that being God would be less satisfying than being human. 

Of course, that begs the question of whether I understand "happening" and a few other words when they are predicated of an infinite, supreme being.

Ah, conundrums.....

(Edit: corrected a syntax error.)

This post was edited by tom jackson at April 13, 2018 12:03 AM MDT
      April 12, 2018 3:04 PM MDT

So that was a no? Oh, maybe that was a yes?
      April 12, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

Yes.

Which illuminates the difficulty of answering you query with one word.
      April 12, 2018 6:04 PM MDT

I object Your Honor........asked and answered (many times)!
      April 12, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

Where are you getting this crap? My bible does not say any such thing.

In verse one, God created the heavens and the earth. He didn't create again until verse 21 when He created soul for living breathing creatures. And the third thing He created was a spirit for Adam and Eve. The bible records that God commanded the Earth to bring forth animals and birds and grass and stuff.

It seems like everybody is writing their own bibles and then blaming God because nothing works the way THEY think it should. This post was edited by Not Sure at April 12, 2018 7:57 PM MDT
      April 12, 2018 7:56 PM MDT

Scriptures please. 

(Gen 2:7) And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul. 
    (Gen 2:19-20) Now Jehovah God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call it, each living soul, that was its name. 20 So the man was calling the names of all the domestic animals and of the flying creatures of the heavens and of every wild beast of the field, but for man there was found no helper as a complement of him.
      April 14, 2018 5:35 AM MDT

You have the scriptures. But you are assuming that formed = made = created. That is not so.

Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

If they all meant the same, it would have said "I created him, I created him, I created him."

"Formed" means pushed into shape. The body is formed from dust. "Created" means brought into existence something that did not exist before. A thing can only be created once. After that, you are just making another one. God created soul in Genesis 1:21, so he made another one for each breathing creature. Spirit was created for angels and people. All life is spirit, but not all spirit is everlasting life spirit.
      April 14, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

Are you serious? Mormons say Adam didn't sin but only transgressed.

So are you saying that Jehovah formed man from the dust and later created him?

Quote from you:
    Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

He created him, then formed him and then made him?
      April 14, 2018 5:31 PM MDT

The instinct of any animal, including humans, is to eat when hungry. That animal will try anything desirable to digest. Yes, a cow will eat grass after it was stepped on and pooped on. A lion will eat anything and if he can get more protein from a hairy animal, then he'll hairy animals. Humans, the smartest of all animals, will consider eating other humans, once the hunger takes over what the mind is rationalizing. Survivors of a plane crash, stranded on the Andes in 1972, resorted to eating their dead team mates to live. 

When you make a claim to the beginning of evolution, you saying that evolution was created.

Life was created. What you want to call the creator, is your choice. The creator does not demand to be called by any pronoun. Pronouns are man made.

This post was edited by antibiotic at April 13, 2018 6:59 PM MDT
      April 13, 2018 6:56 PM MDT