Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » What causes bathroom paint to peel?

What causes bathroom paint to peel?

Go light on the jokes ;)

Posted - April 14, 2018

Responses

I believe it's humidity, but don't quote me on that.
      April 14, 2018 8:15 PM MDT

The morning after an Indian food and beer night....
      April 14, 2018 8:27 PM MDT

Moisture. When steam travels along your bathroom it will eventually come to a stop when it hits the wall. 
      April 14, 2018 8:38 PM MDT

Poor ventilation. The walls are surfaced with drywall, which is gypsum, which absorbs moisture, which makes paint peel. You can redo the walls with waterproof  material, which is used for tile, so you can either paint or install pretty tile.  A cheap fix is to install an exhaust fan connected to the light.
      April 14, 2018 8:58 PM MDT

I think it is due to the room's temperature extremes.  When coated along the surface of a wall, paint acts as a solid and thus expands and contracts with the constant heating and cooling.  Over time, this constant and rapid expansion and contraction causes the paint to break apart thus causing flaking and chipping.
      April 14, 2018 9:42 PM MDT

Paint quality and the condition of the wall onto which it was applied.  Bathroom paint is not destined to peel.  The walls do have to be prepared by killing any mold and filling/repairing any holes prior to painting,  The walls  must be primed with oil-based Kilz and a high quality satin or semi-gloss paint applied. 
      April 14, 2018 9:51 PM MDT

Bathrooms are where we bathe.
    Bathing spread moisture.
    Moisture makes paint peel, both indoors and outside.
    How to avoid this:
    1) good drainage
    2) ventilation.
    3) stop bathing.
      April 14, 2018 10:08 PM MDT

My ancestors were in the house painting/ interior decorating business since 1879. (none of this generation does it anymore)  Anyway, I used a brand of paint called 'American Tradition', a Valspar off brand that has a 'lifetime warranty' when I painted my new house.  You will need to cover up the old paint with a primer/sealer. Ask a paint store salesperson for the correct type of primer/sealer. (I have no peeling paint after 14 years)
      April 15, 2018 5:43 AM MDT