Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Does it seem odd to you that Australians, Canadians and Brits seem to know more about our political woes than we know of theirs?

Does it seem odd to you that Australians, Canadians and Brits seem to know more about our political woes than we know of theirs?

I wonder why?

Posted - April 17, 2018

Responses

Ever heard of "Black Tuesday"? That STARTED it.
      April 18, 2018 9:34 PM MDT

It was the effect ... not the cause.
    The stock market didn't fall suddenly, without outside reasons.

Some of those reasons:
    Global debt following WW1.
    Global droughts.

There was also a global economic crisis, which the stock market collapse was a symptom AND made worse ... because America money could no longer be "diverted" to aid those nations.

April 19, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

Whether they do or not doesn't really matter because to me it's irrelevant what they think about our political system. :)
      April 17, 2018 7:41 PM MDT

And a secondary cost of that "I dont care what foreigners think" attitude is that it crates further subdivisions. "I dont care what Californians think", "i dont care what people in New York think", "I dont care what people who are not Evangelical Baptists think", ... I have encountered ALL of those on various forums and shudder to think where it will end.

Yes, that is a 'slippery slope' argument but one sufficiently supported by easily findable real world examples to gain some validity. Another example is from my (hippie days) youth where "Why should i care what the neighbors think" was a slogan.
      April 17, 2018 9:16 PM MDT

No it doesn't.      Your examples are American ones.  I don't think you understand the question or maybe you are smoking funny cigs.
      April 18, 2018 1:49 AM MDT

You are right, I probably interpret "Our political Woes" in rather a different way that you do. As an example i do not see "The need to return to a gold standard" as a woe the way many Americans do
      April 18, 2018 2:12 AM MDT

First, California, New York, and Evangelical Baptists aren't foreign countries. Second, what secondary cost?  Me, an individual speaking his own mind and not the mind of anyone else, saying it is irrelevant what people from other countries have to say about my country and it's political system isn't going to break the bank. :) 
      April 18, 2018 5:58 AM MDT

(it's its political system)
      April 18, 2018 6:35 AM MDT

Thanks Randy. That sneaks up on me a lot. :)
      April 18, 2018 7:00 AM MDT

We're all fallible, myself included. 
    ~
      April 18, 2018 7:02 AM MDT

Indeed but perhaps the point that is being rather obtusely overlooked, when people say that is that actually it DOES matter, the US wants trade, it wants to export its goods, and make money, money coming into the country is how the economy grows.. America *wants* to be seen as a world leader, it wants to be influential on the world stage.. why? because this helps America in terms of status and again power/money.. if America has a total idiot as a prez, it reflects badly on them, it discredit's, (still further) America and Americans.. While so many are stubbornly refusing to see this and accept it the damage will continue to be done.. to your country..  You have to remember we have nothing to gain from you going down the plug hole.. and indeed Theresa May did *try* to chivvy Trump along trying to encourage him to BE someone the world can look up to.. and warned that if he doesn't others will do.. and whether people there know it or not there are others more than happy to take on that mantle.. China being one of them.. America is in danger of losing its position.. unless something is done.. as Allies we would much rather see America as a nation to look up to so we are on your side, but if you all prefer to deny and pretend otherwise then there's really not much hope of you regaining your position in the world. https://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/theresa-may-us-speech-transcript/index.html

For us we don't want to see you go down still further.. but it's not like we can't just sit and watch.

April 18, 2018 3:36 PM MDT

I think some of them do get a lot of U.S. news and their beliefs and judgements are very much shaped by such news.  Which of course is not always accurate but when we point that out to them they feel very unfairly put upon and threaten to leave the site. 
      April 18, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

Yep, just check out the people who go to https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/answermug.com and check out the 5 reviews they have gotten for the Mug
      April 18, 2018 9:20 AM MDT

I personally haven't seen any people go for that reason, perhaps I missed it but just saying the UK news, media HAS to report fairly and impartially.. they get in trouble otherwise so we DO get both sides, we get accurate reporting because generally speaking, apart from a few cases they are independent of the kinds of controls on the media you guys have.  When we say mean things about Trump it tends to be based on his own words, his tweets, and his actions - hard to misrepresent facts. Just saying
      April 18, 2018 3:16 PM MDT

True for broadcast media. Print media is a different matter, most of Fleet Street (and the Australian press) is in the hands of one man - ex-Australian Rupert Murdoch. Not hard to determine which side he's on, he also owns FOX.
      April 18, 2018 10:25 PM MDT