Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Does it bother you when someone here quotes the bible to make a point or try to prove something?

Does it bother you when someone here quotes the bible to make a point or try to prove something?

"The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it."

Posted - April 18, 2018

Responses

As your question suggest, it depends on how it is used.
    A statement that "The bible says EVERYBODY should be friends on Facebook" would bother me a lot. Dishonest and misleading advertising that demeans a Classic book.
    But mostly it just slide off, sometimes I grin a bit too smugly when i notice it.
      April 18, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

I'm Catholic---The bible doesn't say I have be friends with everyone.
      April 18, 2018 12:44 PM MDT

Can't get over you saying that Christ founded the Catholic Church. Everything in the Bible is in opposition to Catholicism. For instance, forbidding priests and nuns from marrying and using religious titles like 'Father'.

(1 Corinthians 9:5) We have the right to be accompanied by a believing wife, as the rest of the apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Ceʹphas, do we not?
    (1 Timothy 4:1-4) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth. 4 For every creation of God is fine, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
    (Matthew 23:9) Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One.
      April 20, 2018 4:20 AM MDT

If I understand the context of your comment correctly, I agree. Not that just because the Bible says something makes it true but when making claims about the Bible, the Bible should be the standard as to what is there in. Like you said, the bible doesn't say that "EVERYBODY should be friends on Facebook". In reality it doesn't have anything to do with rather or not people should be friends on Facebook but the Bible doesn't say it.
      April 19, 2018 7:45 AM MDT

The bible is good at imparting the best of man's wisdom in some places but one should not rely on the bible as the sole source of all wisdom.

Doesn't really bother me because I am not God to judge how reliable the bible is in order to prove something. 
      April 18, 2018 9:02 AM MDT

Some here seem to use it as a solve all reference source.
      April 18, 2018 9:10 AM MDT

Some of the bible is likely copied from previous religious texts so the bible may be right if the pagan gods got it right in the  first place. 
      April 18, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

Aside from changing "man's wisdom" to "God's wisdom," I absolutely agree with your first sentence.
      April 18, 2018 12:45 PM MDT

Well, isnt the whole point of this thread: Who found the wisdom? being quoted It could be God's, it could be Man's, it could be dogma from the religion held by the person quoting (I believe most of us will agree that that possibility was largely the case with the Westboro Baptists).
      April 20, 2018 3:33 AM MDT

No, unless they're misquoting it, or using it to justify their wrong actions.
      April 18, 2018 9:41 AM MDT

Pretty much, but I don't make a big thing out of it publically. I'm just quite a bit annoyed and roll my eyes.
      April 18, 2018 9:44 AM MDT

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Lot of eye rolling going on here. 

April 18, 2018 8:51 PM MDT

I can understand and accept usage of the Bible as it is a universally known and accepted text so it provides a common meeting ground or playing field for discussion of ideas, especially societal and cultural.  It's only when people use said text as a basis for unwavering judgment, punishment or segregation that it becomes a problem.
      April 18, 2018 12:52 PM MDT

Except it is not a "universally known and accepted text".
      April 18, 2018 12:58 PM MDT

It's known (of) in some shape or form, whether partially or in its entirety, by almost every modern civilization and culture and is accepted, whether as fact or fiction, by at least a very small percentage of said societies and cultures, thus its universality.
      April 18, 2018 9:22 PM MDT

Sorry.
    I was thinking of "universal" in the definition of:

of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world; applicable to all cases.
      April 19, 2018 7:52 AM MDT

I do consider the bible to be authored by God using instrumental causes (humans).  

I look at the OT as the history of God's interaction with His chosen people (the Jews) up to the time of Christ; and I look at the NT as a record of Gods redemption of all of His creation and the characteristics that we will see as important for those (humans) who live at any time after the "redemption."

(The precise nature of the good that has come to the rest of creation other than humans is something to be speculated on to my (personal) delight.  The nature of good is that it tends to communicate itself---once you understand that, what good things are now possible for the rest of creation is fascinating.)

Some "believers" think that it makes sense that God dropped a set of rules that contained everything He wanted us to understand and that it (the bible) was His last and final dispositive communication.

I will not limit God in that way.

Now, personally, I don't know of any decent human father who has a child that he wanted and then drops a rule book in his crib and goes off on his merry way.

So, assuming that God is at least as good as the best father I know, God must be constantly available to us to guide us in our growth.

For example, while the "birds and the bees" can be a useful analogy, it falls far short in describing the marvelous reality of love and procreation.

The writers of the bible were wrote in a style characteristic of their understanding of reality at the time.

Does it not make perfect sense that God would also use other men whose understanding of reality increased with their study of the bible and theology and philosophy to shed light on the effects of the Redemption as men understood it more and more as humans lived it?

The bible to me is the "forward" to the book about the "economy of salvation" (Author---God) that is currently being written.
      April 18, 2018 1:08 PM MDT

Your analogy along with the context of the threads between us gives me the impression that this Father could at one time be a loving father with a respected name that gives loving guidance and expectations who later steps out and has another man step in his place that burns the childs hand on the stove when he misbehaves and chooses to be called 'DUDE' so as to hide His true identity.

I know, not the best illustration but your throwing out biblical doctrine for later doctrines while claiming to serve the God of the Bible is ludicrous. 

(1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.

(Colossians 2:8) Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;

(Ephesians 5:6) Let no man deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience.
    (Hebrews 13:9) Do not be led astray by various and strange teachings, for it is better for the heart to be strengthened by undeserved kindness than by foods, which do not benefit those occupied with them.

When you have time, I would like to get your thoughts on the subject you brought up abut "Which god is the real god?---Jesus or Jehovah?"

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/54875/the-u-s-told-you-iraq-used-chemical-weapons-and-we-went-to-war/view/post_id/467393
      April 19, 2018 8:00 AM MDT

A poor illustration indeed.  Do you have children?  Is that how you teach them about hot stoves?

you assume the bible is the complete explanation of what God wanted us to understand.  You treat God as a "suspect" and do not allow him to further explain his teachings to us.

Pretty hard to deal with Him when He breaks out of the mold you have tried to keep Him in, I guess---now that is silly (ludicrous if you prefer).

And you JW's---as the inspired word says, have fallen away from the faith (Timothy); preached empty deception (Colossians); deceived us with empty words (Ephesians); and led us astray by various and strange teachings (Hebrews).

God the Father, God the Son (the second person of the trinity incarnate), and God the Holy Spirit are all the real God.  (A rose by any other name would smell as sweet---and retain its real nature.)

And why do you refer me to your previous posts?---You should know by now that I accord them no value.

Edit:  Referenced Shakespeare

This post was edited by tom jackson at April 20, 2018 3:41 PM MDT
      April 19, 2018 1:24 PM MDT

Quote: "A poor illustration indeed.  Do you have children?  Is that how you teach them about hot stoves?"

No, but your Church teaches a literal hell fire and used to teach limbo for unbaptized babies.

Quote: "you assume the bible is the complete explanation of what God wanted us to understand.  You treat God as a "suspect" and do not allow him to further explain his teachings to us. 
    Pretty hard to deal with Him when He breaks out of the mold you have tried to keep Him in, I guess---now that issilly (ludicrous if you prefer)."

Wrong again, I treat your Church as suspect and farthest from trustworthy as anyone can get to explain anything to us. Your Church traditions broke the mold that Jesus set forth.

Quote: "And you JW's---as the inspired word says, have fallen away from the faith (Timothy); preached empty deception (Colossians); deceived us with empty words (Ephesians); and led us astray by various and strange teachings (Hebrews). 
    God the Father, God the Son (the second person of the trinity incarnate), and God the Holy Spirit are all the real God.  (A rose by any other name would smell as sweet---and retain its real nature.)"

Wrong again. JW's teach the same thing the apostles did. JW's nor Bible writers ever used the phrases "God the Son (the second person of the trinity incarnate), and God the Holy Spirit are all the real God"

Quote: "And why do you refer me to your previous posts?---You should know by now that I accord them no value."

As in your answer here, you would rather talk about me and me supposedly not knowing about the Bible than talk to me as the scriptures quoted condemns your Church.

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/55125/is-texas-escimo-to-religion-and-the-bible-what-randy-d-is-to-engl/view/post_id/467835

April 19, 2018 4:08 PM MDT

The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th century.

“The conclusion of this study is that there are theological and liturgical reasons to hope that infants who die without baptism may be saved and brought into eternal happiness even if there is not an explicit teaching on this question found in revelation,” it said.

Hell exists, but it is possible that no one is there.

And believe me, I truly wish that I could avoid talking about you---but as a representative of perhaps the most error filled compendium posing as biblical knowledge, it's really impossible to avoid.
      April 19, 2018 6:47 PM MDT

As evidenced by some of the complaints under this question, most of my comments are made up of scriptures. Perhaps with your newest revelation of: "I am satisfied with speaking the truth and preaching the good news found in the bible.", maybe you can start giving the scriptures that show that I am wrong about God being one, the Father being the only true God and Jesus having a God over him? Perhaps you can tell us about this Hell that the Catholic Douay Version has Job praying to be protected there?

Really odd for a sincere Catholic to claim to be preaching from the Bible. 

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/55125/is-texas-escimo-to-religion-and-the-bible-what-randy-d-is-to-engl/view/post_id/467835

"I am satisfied with speaking the truth and preaching the good news found in the bible."
      April 19, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

To me, it is unfortunate when Bible scripture is quoted as if something is proven by doing so, or in lieu of an actual personal response. It strikes me as disingenuous when this occurs, because the speaker is unable or unwilling to convey (or even generate) their own thoughts. 

Absent further corroboration in most of it’s accounts, the Bible is principally a collection of claims, formulated by a series of anonymous writers who —as far as anyone can show— were not present at the events they describe. It is an accretion of literature, not history, not fact, not evidence, but is too often misconstrued as one or the other. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 19, 2018 6:52 PM MDT
      April 18, 2018 1:42 PM MDT

Your post is an example of "disingenuous". You reject bible references based on things that you either have not checked or have no way of knowing: you made them up.
      April 18, 2018 2:52 PM MDT