Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Does it bother you when someone here quotes the bible to make a point or try to prove something?

Does it bother you when someone here quotes the bible to make a point or try to prove something?

"The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it."

Posted - April 18, 2018

Responses

As long as they are quoting correctly....it is fine by me.

1 Tim 3:16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness This post was edited by my2cents at April 19, 2018 11:00 AM MDT
      April 18, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

• it bothers me when someone is here 
      April 18, 2018 9:24 PM MDT

What question are you answering?
      April 19, 2018 11:01 AM MDT

• this one but the answer is simple 
      April 19, 2018 12:16 PM MDT

I'm here. Does that bother you?
      April 19, 2018 12:19 PM MDT

Not at all, especially when we are talking about the Bible or religious subjects. I know you recently said something in relation to the threat of hell. I gave scriptures showing that the God of the Bible does not have a literal hell fire where immortal souls of the wicked are consciously tortured for eternity. If that inspired this question and you were offended by it, I'm sorry, as that was not my intent.

Many people have misconceptions about what the Bible really says and I think the Bible should be the authority when what the Bible says is the subject under discussion. I've never heard a Christian say something like: "The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it." I've heard several opposers make claims similar to that about Christians. 

I don't believe the Bible just because the Bible said something. Years of study in to subjects like the clickable links in this questions have helped convince me.
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/46649/can-you-trust-the-bible-below-are-some-links-that-may-at-leas

Can you trust the Bible?

Historical Soundness

April 19, 2018 7:40 AM MDT

Nope. It doesn't bother me at all. If the Bible is what the discussion is about then I would expect it to be quoted. :)
      April 19, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

That is one of the reasons I frequently quote the bible, alas the Catholice church long ago formulated a very effective sound byte to counter people like me "the devil quoting the bible", and most every later version of Christianity have happily agreed with that (except as it would affect their interpretation in places where their understanding of the bible is in conflict with Catholic dogma.)
      April 20, 2018 1:26 AM MDT

How would a Catholic know rather or not you were quoting the Bible? I have never met one that has read it and stayed a Catholic.
      April 28, 2018 4:33 AM MDT

I have seen numerous questions here that did NOT have anything to do with religion or the bible, but they got a few quotes anyway. Personally I don't care...I just don't respond to them.
      April 22, 2018 8:01 AM MDT

Unfortunate biblical literacy is divebombing. Very likely some won't know hat you're talking about. 
      April 19, 2018 9:19 AM MDT

True...I don't respond to those comments, as they are usually meaningless to me.
      April 19, 2018 11:05 AM MDT

No I can respect someone who knows more Bible than I do.  Though I may not agree with their particular interpretation of a certain passage. 
      April 20, 2018 7:04 AM MDT

It's no surprise to me that what I REALLY find annoying/amusing/eye-roll provoking happened right here on your question. I wasn't going to say it, but now I just have to! 

Isn't it incredible that all of these people who quote the bible to make a point or prove something argue among themselves like they do? Absolutely unbelievable. Without a doubt, this is what their white Jesus would be doing:

April 20, 2018 8:44 PM MDT

Quote: [Isn't it incredible that all of these people who quote the bible to make a point or prove something argue among themselves like they do?] Interesting observation as most of the arguments on this thread are atheist making jabs at believers. Actually, every discussion in this thread so far has at least one person that doesn't believe in the Bible.
      April 21, 2018 7:40 AM MDT

I disagree with you. By my count, most of the posts on this thread are professed Christians arguing among themselves. And the tone of most of the posts I see by "Christians" certainly doesn't demonstrate the LOVE that I am 100% sure the bible speaks of. 

April 22, 2018 8:25 AM MDT

Which discussions do you think are 'professed Christians arguing among themselves'? I only saw one that I recognized as that, in which one party doesn't 'believe in the Bible' (EDIT: I believe he professes to be Christian, just doesn't accept the Bible as reliable for doctrines. 2 Tim 3:16) as he refers to the Genesis myth and believes in later doctrines trumping biblical doctrines which is why I initially clarified: ' every discussion in this thread so far has at least one person that doesn't believe in the Bible.'

Curious to know if someone I thought of as a non-believer actually believes in the Bible? This post was edited by texasescimo at April 22, 2018 9:25 AM MDT
      April 22, 2018 8:44 AM MDT

I honestly don't know who believes what. What religion someone subscribes to is of zero importance to me. I've known lovely people of many religions and complete a-holes of several religions. Same goes for atheists; some are wonderful and some are jerks. I don't think of people of "believers" or "non-believers", I think of people as "mostly good and kind" or "more of a jerk". This is based on my observations of their behaviors and how they treat others. That's how my brain categorizes people. 

I frequently see you and other professed Christians arguing among yourselves on this site. You are certainly entitled to disagree with me, but that is my observation. 

Hope you have a wonderful day. 
      April 22, 2018 9:11 AM MDT

Okay, [I honestly don't know who believes what.] is a bit different from
     [By my count, most of the posts on this thread are professed Christians arguing among themselves.]

So you didn't really mean:
    [It's no surprise to me that what I REALLY find annoying/amusing/eye-roll provoking happened right here on your question. I wasn't going to say it, but now I just have to! 

Isn't it incredible that all of these people who quote the bible to make a point or prove something argue among themselves like they do? Absolutely unbelievable...]

Okay, got it.

Quote: [I frequently see you and other professed Christians arguing among yourselves on this site. You are certainly entitled to disagree with me, but that is my observation.]
    I don't disagree with that, but that is not what you said.
    Yes, I do often argue with people about the Bible. I know that is wrong of me as well as the Bible condemns it. 

(2 Timothy 2:14-16) Keep reminding them of these things, instructing them before God not to fight about words, something of no usefulness at all because it harms those listening. 15 Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright. 16 But reject empty speeches that violate what is holy, for they will lead to more and more ungodliness,
    (Colossians 4:5, 6) Go on walking in wisdom toward those on the outside, making the best use of your time. 6 Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should answer each person.
    (2 Timothy 4:2) Preach the word; be at it urgently in favorable times and difficult times; reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all patience and art of teaching.
      April 22, 2018 9:22 AM MDT

Certain people are very vocal about their professed beliefs. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that certain things are immediately associated with certain people. 

Randy D - grammar cop
    Rosie G - Trump hater
    Welby Q - Music and film lover
    Pea Pod - kind and empathetic sister

You get the idea, right?

And yes, when I think of you, I think JW who argues with Catholic Tom Jackson. 

Hope this makes sense to you. 

April 22, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

You forgot Element 99...A**hole.
      April 22, 2018 10:37 AM MDT

I was debating on including you on the list, but I find you to be something of an enigma. 

I guess I should have said that, huh? 

I wouldn't say as$hole, though. Maybe if I knew you better. ;)
      April 22, 2018 6:06 PM MDT

Yup, we disagree on almost everything. Gets my goat that he claims to preach from the Bible and teaches things like God is a nameless triune being that will torture the immortal souls of the wicked for eternity in a literal hell fire. Constantly tells me that I am misinterpreting the most simplest and straightforward of scriptures without giving a scripture that shows the context and sometimes enters a thread saying how he already proved me wrong in other threads so no need to comment further and will not post a link to said thread. Would be more honest to just admit to having not read the Bible as it is irrelevant to him and his beliefs. As I said, I know I am just supposed to walk away. Even Jesus said to wipe the dust off of your feet and to turn the other cheek and such but I am not fully following the scriptures as I should be at the meeting today and I should be looking for honest hearted individuals in the door to door ministry rather than wasting my time arguing with the same people that don't care what the Bible says or to check rather or not the Bible is inspired or not.
    If a JW ever knocks on your door, you will likely see a difference between myself and them.
      April 22, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

Oh, I've had experiences with JWs at the door. :)

In fact, some people in my family have been known to invite them in and try to convert them! No kidding. 
      April 22, 2018 6:09 PM MDT

Convert them? Convert them to what?
      April 22, 2018 6:33 PM MDT