Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Did you ever express an opinion on your child's choice of partner? How was your opinion taken?

Did you ever express an opinion on your child's choice of partner? How was your opinion taken?

Posted - April 21, 2018

Responses

My son's first wife was a gold-digging skank. Only he liked her. The marriage lasted a year. When I asked him what he was thinking he just said "I don't know, dad."
      April 21, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

My older son had a fiancee who was truly lovely, I am not sure exactly how she feels/felt about me but I liked her a lot, which was a huge relief.. sadly my son was an idiot and says he wants to live alone and never marry.. my daughter thinks of my son's ex as a sister, and I know the ex adores my daughter, they seem to have a special relationship. 

My younger son brought home a truly awful gf... she was rude and nasty... however, I knew it would do no good to say anything, so we went out of our way to welcome her and be nice to her.. Luckily she prooved herself to my son, by cheating and behaving horribly about it too... so she is gone :)

I would always try to be nice as I know that anything we say that is mean will only make them take longer to see the faults for themselves
      April 21, 2018 1:43 PM MDT

One of my daughter's bfs I threw out on his a$$. She thanked me for it later. He was cheating and I later discovered he was abusing her as well (she didn't tell me at the time). Had I known, I'd have beaten the tar out of him before kicking him to the street.
    Her fiance is a good Joe, they're getting married at the end of the year.
    My son's wife isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but they're devoted to each other and to their son (and his little sister's arrival is imminent). That's good enough for me.
      April 21, 2018 9:16 PM MDT

My son has only ever loved one girl. Seriously. Since like 7th grade. I think, if I didn't like her, I'd let them be for the same reason DDB said, but she's genuinely a nice person and I think they bring out the best in each other. I've said as much, but I don't think either really cares about my opinion. lol My son will get testy with us when we have a girl moment and I tell him to thank his lucky stars we get along instead of mad when we chatter. I guess it's tough to appreciate it when you don't know how difficult it can be to have family who disapproves. 
      April 22, 2018 2:03 AM MDT

Only if I generally like them. Does no good to vocally dislike them, just makes them either  stay with longer to prove everyone wrong and makes them stay away from you as well.  

April 22, 2018 2:55 PM MDT

• Very sensible approach. 
      April 22, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

Believing my son's girl friend was a bich and a spoiled brat, I was cool to her at first.  When she became his fiance, I did my best to get along with here and it worked for a year or so.  Then, one by one, she "dissed" all of her in-laws.  We haven't seen our two grandchildren for three years.
    My oldest daughter and her husband lived in one of our houses for a year while he got a job in his new circumstances.  In time it became clear that his intention was to freeload on our family for as long as he could.  I told him to leave.  He now has a steady job, supporting his family in another state.  His parents and grandparents seem grateful to me.  I think they didn't have the heart to make him stand on his own two feet.
      April 22, 2018 7:29 PM MDT