Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is static a one-size-fits-all phenomenon and predictable or is it erratic? What causes static and how it is manifested?

Is static a one-size-fits-all phenomenon and predictable or is it erratic? What causes static and how it is manifested?

Posted - April 22, 2018

Responses

Which definition of static are you referring to?
      April 22, 2018 7:16 AM MDT

I don't understand the question Ele. When you turn on a radio and get static. When you are talking on the phone and you get static. Are there different kinds? That is my question. YOU tell me how many kinds there are and why some are one way and others another way. OK? This post was edited by RosieG at April 22, 2018 7:34 AM MDT
      April 22, 2018 7:34 AM MDT

There are different definitions. I can now answer your question. It depends on the situation. It can also be caused in numerous ways. Natural: Lightning, solar storms. Man-made: electrical sparks, bad electrical connections, interference from other electrical sources.. It is predictable in that we KNOW we will have it during a thunderstorm, but we can't always predict the storm. I could go on for and hour, but I think you get the picture.
      April 22, 2018 7:54 AM MDT

Well sometimes on the phone static goes in and out. Sometimes you have to try again to get a static-free line. Some folks come through clear as a bell and you can be in California and they can be in Hawaii whereas other times you can be in a neighboring city in the same state and the connection is lousy. I dunno Ele. I wish I were smarter or maybe more knowledgeable. I guess I'm smart enough to get by but I'm sure not knowledgeable enough. It's too late now but I wish during my school days I had taken Physics. I mean who knew the entire field would fascinate me as an old lady? It's frustrating now because I'm sure I was a much faster learner when I was younger. If  I could be anything in a future time I'd be a quantum physicist. But that would require much greater smarts. Some things I grasp easily and immediately and other things I don't every quite get a handle on. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. You'd think being closer would bring clearer communication but no! :)
      April 23, 2018 3:58 AM MDT

If your phone is a landline, the static is caused by an intermittent faulty connection. If it is a mobile phone it could be your phone, the other caller's phone or anything in between.
      April 23, 2018 7:24 AM MDT

Distance should matter though shouldn't it Ele? I mean closer should be clearer/better than farther away shouldn't it? Thank you for your reply. I mean if you live next door I can shout to you and you'll hear me. If you live on the east coast you won't since I live in California. Distance is the obstacle, right?
      April 23, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

I today's satellite world as long as all connections are good, distance should not be a factor. The satellite that feeds my TV dish is more than 23,000 miles away and the distance of the signal going to it is the same. 46 thousand miles and I get a great picture, even if it's a live feed from China..
      April 23, 2018 7:56 AM MDT

OH! Okey dokey! That makes a lotta sense. Jim mentions beams bouncing off satellites. That's what drives our GPS. I keep forgetting. Well thank you so much for hanging in until you said the magic word. Satellite! Patience is something I admire and lack. Thanks for having so much Ele! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 23, 2018 8:06 AM MDT
      April 23, 2018 7:59 AM MDT