Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is it fair to have higher expectations of people who are professed Christians?

Is it fair to have higher expectations of people who are professed Christians?

There's a song that I learned in church camp many years ago. The chorus goes "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love. And they'll know we are Christians by our love". 

~

Posted - April 22, 2018

Responses

I didn't really get that straight, did I? If you expect higher standards of Christians, then that means your own standards must be lower. IOW a non-Christian judging a Christian is self-contradictory. deprecatory. This post was edited by Not Sure at April 23, 2018 5:46 AM MDT
      April 23, 2018 5:44 AM MDT

No, I don't think you did. 

This question wasn't meant to be biased in any way. I know Christians who most certainly have higher expectations of Christians than they do of non-Christians. I'm not judging or not judging anyone.

Please do answer the question now, if you wish. 
      April 24, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

The problem is that people think Christians are supposed to be nice, and that is not so. Christians are people who believed the gospel: behavior has nothing to do with it. 

Same problem with people trying to understand God: He is not the god of niceness, He is the God of rightness. Sometimes rightness is not nice at all, and then people flip out because God has failed to comply with their expectations. They just can't understand that they were wrong.
      April 25, 2018 12:18 AM MDT

Please clarify about not being nice.

(1 Peter 3:15) But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason for the hope you have, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect.
    (2 Timothy 2:24, 25) For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth,
    (Titus 3:1, 2) Continue reminding them to be in subjection and to be obedient to governments and authorities, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak injuriously of no one, not to be quarrelsome, but to be reasonable, displaying all mildness toward all men.
    (1 Peter 2:12) Maintain your conduct fine among the nations, so that when they accuse you of being wrongdoers, they may be eyewitnesses of your fine works and, as a result, glorify God in the day of his inspection.
    (1 Thessalonians 4:11, 12) Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we instructed you, 12 so that you may walk decently in the eyes of people outside and not need anything.
    (Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.
    (Hebrews 12:14) Pursue peace with all people and the sanctification without which no man will see the Lord.
    (James 3:18) Moreover, the fruit of righteousness is sown in peaceful conditions for those who are making peace.
      April 25, 2018 6:05 AM MDT

Tex, why do you spend so much effort to quote verses that do not say what you say?
      April 25, 2018 6:27 AM MDT

Just asked for your clarification as you haven't given any scriptures that say the opposite. 

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nice
    pleasing;
     agreeable; delightful:

(Colossians 4:5, 6) Go on walking in wisdom toward those on the outside, making the best use of your time. 6 Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should answer each person.
      April 25, 2018 10:38 AM MDT

Still didn't answer the question, but that's okay. I'm inferring from your responses that you don't think it's right or fair. 

Your response has reminded me that at that same church camp we saw a film that told the parable of the good Samaritan. I believe that the bible does teach that Christians are supposed to be kind. 
      April 25, 2018 7:43 AM MDT

The parables told by Jesus have no relation to Christianity. Christ was not a Christian. He was a Jew, speaking to Jews.

The reason you can't get the point of my posts is that you twist the scriptures to fit your own interpretation, same as most people do. There are people who claim to be members of this or that denomination and have no idea what they are supposed to believe, but by God they are willing to die for it!
      April 25, 2018 9:03 PM MDT

Okie Dokie. 

I've read plenty of your posts, I believe I understand well enough, Mr. Vern. My original question quoted a song, and in this post I mentioned a film. I'll leave the scripture twisting to those members you speak of. 

April 25, 2018 9:13 PM MDT

Not really. Many self-proclaimed "Christians" are the most rapacious hypocrites on the planet.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."
     - Mohandas K Gandhi
      April 22, 2018 11:42 PM MDT

I don't disagree with you. 

I like that quote a lot. 
      April 24, 2018 7:45 PM MDT

No. I have the same expectations of everyone.

Just because someone has high standards, doesn't make them a hypocrite if they fall short. A person who is only a hypocrite if they CLAIM to possess a certain virtue, holding themselves up as an example to others, and then fall short. Advocating a moral code as an ideal to strive for, shouldn't be seen as making any personal claims of sainthood. Anyone who can live up to their ideals, probably didn't set the bar very high.

The key concept of Christianity is that humanity is fallen and it's really impossible not to be. You can't save yourself. Christianity is primarily a religion of humility that calls on us to put aside our pride and acknowledge what human nature truly is.

The song is absolute crap. You don't recognise a Christian by just love. The overemphasis on love is a cancer in Christianity. God is love but also justice. You can't truly have one without the other. Many churches have become weak and permissive and just virtue signal constantly. They're afraid to really stand for anything for fear of being branded intolerant and judgemental. They care about appearing to be loving, not the real principles of Christianity. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at April 23, 2018 3:01 AM MDT
      April 23, 2018 2:46 AM MDT

"The overemphasis on love is a cancer on Christianity" - I take it you're one of those "Old Testament only" brand of Christians? John 13:34-35

Per chance to you run or belong to the Westboro Baptist Church? 

April 24, 2018 7:56 PM MDT

Do you actually know what the word overemphasis means? I have plenty of belief in love, but there is far more to Christianity than that. What most churches do today is like taking a prism, splitting white light into a rainbow and declaring that red is what light is all about.

I don't go to church. I've never liked organised religion. I find most churches leftist, or nuts, or both. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at April 26, 2018 3:44 PM MDT
      April 25, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

LOL. 
      April 25, 2018 7:52 AM MDT

In having high expectations of anyone we only set ourselves up for disappointment. 
      April 23, 2018 6:17 AM MDT

Sometimes you can 'galvanize' people by showing you have higher expectations of them, I did that a lot, for many years.  It is tricky, probably impossible to do standing on a pulpit and talking to many. It has to be carefully measured and personal, else it is unlikely to work. And really amazing every time it does work

And never in the shape of a rebuke. eg: "You could do it if you really tried", that one is sure to backfire This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at May 20, 2022 8:24 PM MDT
      April 23, 2018 2:31 PM MDT

Low expectations guarantee low performance. 

April 24, 2018 8:04 PM MDT

That is not Christianity but secular psychology.  Christianity depends on the Holy Spirit, not on social pressure. 
      April 25, 2018 6:40 AM MDT

I'm always curious about why people respond to questions without answering them. 

I'll hope the spirit moves you to have a pleasant day.  :)
      April 25, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

Professing to be christian is common among many false Christians. (Matthew 7:21-23)
      April 24, 2018 11:16 PM MDT

Do you think they know they're false?
      April 25, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

I think that most don't but some do.

(John 16:1-3) “I have said these things to you so that you may not be stumbled. 2 Men will expel you from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he has offered a sacred service to God. 3 But they will do these things because they have not come to know either the Father or me.
    (Romans 10:2, 3) For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge. 3 For because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.
    (Matthew 7:21-23) “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’
    (2 Timothy 4:3, 4) For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.
      April 25, 2018 10:45 AM MDT

Unfortunately due to their misunderstanding of the bible they don't. Even sadder most ignore what the bible says because they don't respect its contents.
      April 25, 2018 10:13 PM MDT

Especially JWs
      April 25, 2018 3:54 PM MDT