Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Uh - - and WHY was "Forrest Gump" supposedly such a great movie? ;)

Uh - - and WHY was "Forrest Gump" supposedly such a great movie? ;)

This is just a joke question.
I am one of only two human beings I know of who doesn't like this movie. The other one is an answerMugger, too.
:)

Image result for forrest gump images

Posted - April 28, 2018

Responses

You welcome my friend (:
      April 30, 2018 11:01 PM MDT

I liked the movie and have seen it a couple of times.  Quips from that movie became, and still to this day, are a part of Southern dialogue.  You will often hear questions asked and answered like they came right out of the movie.....even though the topic is different. Lieutenant Dan, Bubba, Forrest, and Jenny have not been forgotten.    Where I come from, put Coach Bear Bryant into a movie and it's a hit.  
      April 29, 2018 2:30 AM MDT

I like your answer, Thriftymaid.
    I mentioned somewhere in the thread that I did like Sally Field and her character in the movie. I'm thinking perhaps I just saw the movie on the wrong day for me. (I said that a couple of times in here, too, somewhere.)
      April 29, 2018 8:06 AM MDT

While I did not dislike the movie, I certainly don't believe it lived up to all of the hype I heard about it before seeing it. People were saying (with their eyes bugged out as if they'd experienced some spiritual or religious transformation), "You HAVE to see this movie; it-will-change-your-life!"  
      Ok, so I fell for it, I went to a theatre and watched it from opening scene to ending credits, awaiting this big metamorphosis that would awaken in me. And waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. By the time I was two-thirds through the movie, I was already convinced that no such worm-to-butterfly renaissance was going to occur.  It's a movie, people, a movie and nothing more. It was neither the worst movie I have ever seen, nor is it the best, and I emerged from the theatre wondering what doldrums people must be in that this Hollyweird tripe had redefined their entire existence.  
      Mind you, I am not saying that the movie was so bad or so terrible that I wouldn't recommend others to see it, nothing along those lines at all. I just don't preach from the mountaintops that it's as great as some people claim it to be. Madison Avenue clearly did its job in getting the word out and filling theatre seats on this one; everyone involved made buckets of money off of it. 
    ~
      April 29, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

Asker's Pick, on impulse after reading it, even though I still appreciate all of the answers and comments I've received.

Your experience matched mine, Randy D. And you have spoken with much more diplomacy than I have about the movie.
      April 29, 2018 10:50 AM MDT

Thanks, buddy!
      April 29, 2018 11:23 AM MDT

April 29, 2018 12:14 PM MDT

I enjoyed reading your answer again, Randy D.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 2, 2019 8:07 PM MDT
      June 2, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

Your wrong Colonel Sanders. I love my momma and now you know that.

Oh, wrong movie. I always get Water boy and Joe dirt mixed up with it.
    I liked em all. Life is like a box of chocolates and and bet if I think real hard, I can remember my first pair of shoes. 
      May 8, 2018 4:53 PM MDT

:) I like your conglomeration of titles. I get things messed up, too, sometimes.
      May 8, 2018 6:08 PM MDT

I enjoyed it. Not life-changing or anything like that, but a little bit of escapism never hurt anybody. A snapshot of a turbulent period, seen through the eyes of a permanent child. We lose that ability to wonder as we grow older, and that's a shame. Due to his disability, Forrest never really grew up so never lost that.
      May 8, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

True, yes.

I don't really know the exact reasons I didn't like the movie so well. I didn't so much like Hanks in the main role. And I found it a really long movie that didn't hold my interest. (And partly, it was that seemingly everyone in the world was saying how wonderful the movie was - - maybe it was through no fault of the movie but more of all the expectations I had.)
      May 9, 2018 8:30 AM MDT

It made a lot of money?
      May 17, 2018 4:58 AM MDT

THAT might be it! Ha!
      May 17, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

I've seen a lot of films that no one else has apparently heard of at all that I liked much better and are more memorable to me.  I realize my taste is not the same as most people's.
      May 17, 2018 7:44 AM MDT

I can relate. Me, too.
      May 17, 2018 7:54 AM MDT

I never understood.  I thought it was very boring.

Dustin Hoffman already did a film like this with Little Big Man.

Same idea.

Telling history by using hyperbole and exaggeration.

BORING.

May 17, 2018 7:59 AM MDT

(I watched that Randy Rainbow song you posted! Funny! And he's cute, ha!)

You were the other person I refer to in my question - - I remember we both didn't like this movie so much.

I've never seen "Little Big Man." I might avoid it, too, ha!

I was bored, too, watching Gump.
      May 17, 2018 8:03 AM MDT

not sure since ive never seen that movie
      May 21, 2018 5:46 PM MDT

It's only my opinion, but I think you'll get along fine without seeing it.

I recommend "Dancer in the Dark" - - the best movie I've seen.
      June 5, 2018 6:43 PM MDT

I saw the movie; didn't read the book.  Just looked it up (the book).  

I found it mildly entertaining because of the periods of time it was set in and covered.  Not the best movie; not the worst.

If you are interested:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump_(novel) 
      June 3, 2019 2:34 PM MDT

Maybe I'd like the book better than the movie.

Yeah, it's not the worst movie I've seen but with how the WORLD raved about it endlessly -- for me, the movie in no way, at all, lived up to its hype. 
      June 3, 2019 6:51 PM MDT